↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 smoke from under bonnet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sweepc

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
2.2 smoke from under bonnet
Hi guys, I used my car a few times today not an awful lot... Then it was stood for a few hours. I then took it out got about 2 miles and when stationery I could see smoke from wing top vents / side vent and under the bonnet. I was unable to get out and open the bonnet at the time, it was on and off for about 2-3 minutes then nothing. I've had it ticking over on the drive but cannot see anything. I could smell something possibly oil/diesel smell. Could this be down to the dpf?
Post #434393 28th Jun 2015 10:02pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Have you checked for anything against your exhaust or heat shields?

I had a horrible burning plastic smell caused by a plastic shopping bag being sucked up against the exhaust which then melted and stank.

Could be something simple as that but no its not normal to have smoke coming out from under the bonnet. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #434400 28th Jun 2015 10:18pm
sweepc

Yep that was my first thought too. I've been under and there is nothing stuck to the exhaust.
Post #434407 28th Jun 2015 10:39pm
AlisterC

Wales 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Could this have been a DPF regen?

I dont have a 2.2, so i am not speaking from experience, just a thought?
Post #434456 29th Jun 2015 5:50am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Take the plastic cover off the top of the engine and inspect the injectors and the area around them, particularly towards the back of the engine. At only 500miles old my own one had breathers fail which let oil and diesel puddle up in the top of the cam cover. Warranty job to replace the breathers. But that could have overflowed and gone onto the exhaust which caused the smell on mine.
Post #434459 29th Jun 2015 6:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
AlisterC wrote:
Could this have been a DPF regen?

I dont have a 2.2, so i am not speaking from experience, just a thought?

Not whilst it was not moving.

I'm not sure what the circumstances were but smoke coming out of the engine bay counts as an emergency for me and I'd have made it a priority to check there and then. Shocked
Post #434530 29th Jun 2015 11:42am
sweepc

Yep ordinarily I would agree Supacat however the amount was very little and my safety comes first after all. As soon as possible I got to a safe spot and had check. I've spoken to a few people who deal with the 2.2 and the general view is dpf regen.... Not entirely sure what to think. I haven't had an issue since and everything looks fine.
Post #434608 29th Jun 2015 5:37pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
If its what I suggested you won't do. The well at the back fills up, you go round a round about, brake hard, or accelerate our of a junction, it dumps oil on the cat, that burns, smokes, and goes, but the well is then empty, so it takes a while to fill up again.

Your call but its a known fault. Have a peak its only two star drive bolts. If it isn't that you're into intermittent leak finding which is a pain, so eliminate the simple stuff first.

Dpf regens don't cause smoke even on a new vehicle, and certainly not from the engine bay. They whole idea is that you heat the filter to a high enough temperature that it burns the carbon deposits cleanly without particulates (what effectively causes smoke). It smells a bit when it does it, and you can tell because the fuel map changes depending on what the vehicle is doing, so the engine note changes, but again, no smoke or anything should come from the engine bay.
Post #434667 29th Jun 2015 8:46pm
munch90

England 
How many miles has the car done ?
Post #434672 29th Jun 2015 8:51pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
sweepc wrote:
I've spoken to a few people who deal with the 2.2 and the general view is dpf regen....

I'd like to know how it's causing smoke to come out where you sate it did - are they suggesting you have holes in the system?

Also, active regen only takes place once you are going 30mph so how does that operate if you are not moving?

I know you are being told different things, but these are just questions you could go back to those that say dpf and ask them to explain a little more.
Post #434678 29th Jun 2015 9:06pm
munch90

England 
If regen had started it would still be hot when you pull up , ok it may stop but it would still be hot

if it was first regen it ever done then there is a possibility that there was rustproofing overspray on dpf when was burning off , only guessing so really any smoke is worth getting it looked at
Post #434681 29th Jun 2015 9:13pm
sweepc

As always guys you are full of helpful info hence the reason I posted. Matt110 I will be looking into what you suggested tomorrow, I should be able to see residue etc if it is the problem you had.

Munch the car is on 13000 miles

Supacat I'm grateful for any suggestions or info as you say the more I know the more questions I can ask, it was suggested that as I had only just come to a stop it could still have been the dpf regen, but I agree with what you say the only smoke if any should be from the exhaust?

It's not getting much use in the next few days so I'm going to call the dealer and get it looked at I think.

Thanks for the advice 👍🏻
Post #434717 29th Jun 2015 10:42pm
Bionicmunky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Had similar on mine - turned out to be a loose DPF sensor letting exhaust gasses out.

JT
Post #434868 30th Jun 2015 6:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1