↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > 5th wheel caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
5th wheel caravan
I spotted this set up at the LRSOC rally this weekend - quite an interesting set up.

[URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]

and some shots of it in its original guise....

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #434625 29th Jun 2015 6:35pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I saw a similar one about ten years ago at a Caravan Club National Rally. It was being towed by a 110 pick up. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #434646 29th Jun 2015 8:06pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
You would have thought having gone to the effort of having a 5th wheel they would have gone for a bigger caravan really! Can get twin axle jobbies longer than that! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #434647 29th Jun 2015 8:15pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Thanks for posting the pictures Mark, I kicked myself for not taking any

Thanks again

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #434669 29th Jun 2015 8:48pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I like that, although I could probably skip the paint job.

Wonder if the truck is an ex racecourse one used for towing the start gates?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #434702 29th Jun 2015 10:04pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
This text is from the Series Two club forum, posted by a German member who knows the history of the set-up:

####

the story behind the vehicle:

the owner came from the war as a young man, and soon had to take over the family business.
They produced plastic windows and other plastic furniture and he and his then girlfriend were keen
to travel in the late 40s and early 50s.
After having married her he was allowed to take her to foreign lands.

They had a Tempo Matador for product delivery in the company and the owners son
and his wife were allowed to take it for weekend trips.
Soon they had the tent which they used on the loadbed replaced by a fabricated
mobilehome "top" wich would be lowered onto the loadbed on fridays and removed on monday mornings.

After a while (unclear how many years) they replaced the whole loadbed with the camper part
which you can make out as the rearmost part of the fith wheel trailer pictured above.
It ended where the bodyline comes down just in front of the door.

This piece was fitted instead of the loadbed when the Matador was released from business duties in the late 50s
and replaced with a VW T1 (same engine anyway... )
The Matador was then taken further abroad and one particular rainy day in 1961 up in norway, the owner ended up in a ditch on a campground
and was towed out by a friendly britishman with a Landrover dormobile. (the owner reported a folding roof on the landrover, so I presume it must have been a dormobile)

He then took the decision to get a Landrover himself, and after realising the LWB would be still far too short for his camper top,
he found the idea of getting a fifth wheel attachment to the base Landrover and extend the camper part.
He used the rear end of the Tempo Matador chassis and fitted a king pin and the front nose of the camper (you can make out the forward end, fitted later)
and he fitted the coupling to the Landrovers chassis by himself.
Braking was done by an ATE Hydracup brake coupling (*&%^$ dangerous thing) and an additional brake servo fitted to the Landrover.
The LWB was bought and delivered through the german dealer in 1962 and he used it until 1992 when he replaced the Series IIA with the
present 200TDI 110 pictured above.
The 1962 LWB was scrapped a year later as he told me.

I bought the papers of all his vehicles in a folder through ebay two years ago and was fascinated by the design and obvious manufacturing talent.
And it was a german vehicle, so I used my Landrover contacts and bit of phoning led me to the still living owner who just had suffered a stroke
and, having no children, ended up in a clinic and later on in some "elderly people refuge" where I managed to get in touch with him in person.

I visited him once and he told me the whole story of this vehicle and how sad he felt loosing his wife in the early 2000 years.
He then put the camper aside and left it untouched for 6 or 7 years, but by 2010 he decided to have one last trip up to Norway with this beauty
to celebrate the last travel they both did together in 2002 (both of them being in the late 70s by then already!)
He ordered new brake parts and some maintenance stuff and setto work when the stroke hit him lying under the towing vehicle.
he reported being laid down there for nearly a day, unable to move and thats basically the reason he ended up in the clinic for so long.

He sort of recovered but was fixed to a wheelchair, so he decided to sell the camper afterwards.
His niece decided to move him to a closer destination and had his home
emptied by a company which obviously sold everything looking intersting enough to be put into the bay.
Which is the reason why his cars folder ended with me.

Interesting people, interesting story, interesting vehicle.
He offered me to buy the vehicle, but I refused, as I am not a big camping man (sailor, no time in summer) and
it was offered at a rather proud price, which I felt uncomfortabel with and at the same time felt uneasy to haggle.
So I put him into contact with a known collector of Landrovers in germany, which happened through a dealer we obvioulsy both know quite well.
In the end, the camper eneded up with the collector, the dealer collected and delivered it, and it was in good hands, as we all can see now.

####

I am not sure what a Tempo Matador is, but 'Tempo' built versions of the Series One and Two's which were used by the East Germans on the border patrols. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #434813 30th Jun 2015 12:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A fifth wheel conversion on a double cab (110 or 130) would be cool. Anyone know if it's been done?

Edit - yes, Google reveals that they're as common as muck!

Google also revealed this however, which is a very cool camper.
Post #434824 30th Jun 2015 1:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'd thought your link was going to take me here:

Would love to know if anyone has ever made it.

Someone got carried away with the roll cage on this on:

Click image to enlarge
Post #434841 30th Jun 2015 3:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1