Home > Maintenance & Modifications > led headlamp interference
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
led headlamp interference
Hi folks,

Can anyone help me with a LED headlamp issue? Just noticed whilst parking the 110 for the night that my radio has major static when I switch the lights on half way - and increases on main and again on full beam. Had no issues with the original wipac crystals. Never noticed it before now either with the LEDS....any ideas?

Cheers
Post #433447 24th Jun 2015 10:12pm
ken

United Kingdom 
First of all which LED Lamp do you have
Post #433479 25th Jun 2015 4:22am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Good point!

The lights are the Bi-Led Noldens (superb bit of kit).

Thanks,
Post #433490 25th Jun 2015 7:59am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Did you fit the lights yourself? Is it a standard OEM or aftermarket radio fit? Not quite clear to me but has this started recently or perhaps gone unnoticed since fit of the LEDs?

Either way I would check the connections carefully, paying particular attention to the earth returns on the lights, maybe checking them with a multimeter to make sure they are electrically sound as a starting point. If it is an aftermarket radio where is it's ground/earth being derived from? You could consider fitting a ground loop isolator to the radio as a fix if you do not find anything conclusive or ensuring the radio has a decent earth by checking as above with a multimeter! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #433498 25th Jun 2015 8:17am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give a better summary of install etc.

Vehicle is totally standard (X-Tech 2012) and came with the SVX front end (wipac crystals and secondary hi beam ight ). Radio is original (but dash has been in and out several times @ LR).

Fitted Noldens (as said before excellent product so don't suspect any issue relating to them) with friend - all ok but 1 light developed a loud buzzing / vibrating noise after a month or so. Replaced with no issues (great service) and wired in by me.

Probably been on best part of couple of months with no issue noticed - seems that this has just started recently?

All lights illuminate ok, but just noticed that radio display gets dimmer when lights switched on, in addition to the static, which intensifies on full headlights....
Post #433517 25th Jun 2015 9:03am
K9F

On tha face of it it 'sounds' like an earthing issue to me. As stated earth points would be a good starting point, even perhaps getting a long length of cable and 'slaving' an earth in for diagnostic purposes from your lights and/or radio direct to your battery negative to try and nail the culprit down. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #433521 25th Jun 2015 9:13am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I've had that too - 2015 USW with standard XS Alpine/Bluetooth and Noldens. Radio reception is pretty crap anyway so I just go with stuff off my iphone (which doesn't help but at least you are not alone) 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #433529 25th Jun 2015 9:42am
leeds

United Kingdom 
LittleFoot wrote:

Fitted Noldens (as said before excellent product so don't suspect any issue relating to them) with friend - all ok but 1 light developed a loud buzzing / vibrating noise after a month or so. Replaced with no issues (great service) and wired in by me.

That light unit was returned to Germany and after extensive testing they could not replicate any faults in the unit. So that unit was given a clean bill of health by Noldens

Noldens have a high level of ESD(Electrostatic Discharge) and radio interference protection ISO 10605 Level 4 (CISPR 25 Level 3) so I would be surprised if the Noldens were the cause of the interference problem.

As far as I can see there are a couple of options. One is the earthing possibility as described by K9F. Since the dash has been in and out several times so it could also be a bad connection on a positive lead somewhere.

What else has been changed/modified recently? Any chargers? Chargers can cause radio interference. We got radio interference from a phone charger. Changed the lead with same charger and radio interference disappeared.

Brendan
Post #433540 25th Jun 2015 10:27am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Hi Brendan, agree 100% with your comments and appreciate your feedback Smile

I am sure it's not the lights in any way Thumbs Up - excellent product all round.

I'm wondering if there's a chafed wire somewhere causing a bad earth?
Post #433544 25th Jun 2015 10:38am
K9F

You need 'someone in the know' or a decent auto electrician (the latter not usually found at a dealership) to 'bell out' your cabling. As suggested 'slaving in' a temporary earth for diagnostic problems and moving it from lights to radio may be the quickest way of finding the root cause. Also when using Bluetooth facility do not have the phone or anything else on charge within the vehicle at the same time to see if there's any difference. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #433549 25th Jun 2015 11:07am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I noticed whilst 'fiddling' that the interference is much more pronounced when the aerial is up....
Post #433628 25th Jun 2015 7:35pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Aerial lead damaged maybe if the dash has been out a few times.

I had a damaged aerial lead and it caused bad reception etc.

Check the earth continuity from the base of the aerial to the plug in the back of the radio to see if this is the problem.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #433634 25th Jun 2015 7:44pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Mine is a new 110 and the buzzing goes on and off with the lights. Standard apart from the lights. I have wondered about fitting the headlamp loom mod to provide them with a better supply? 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #433725 26th Jun 2015 7:23am
munch90

England 
if you got led headlights that consume less power then a standard filament bulb , you shouldn't need the upgrade loom

is this a common thing with led headlights ?

is it only with the later models ?

I wouldn't be happy after spending 500 odd quid on headlights to end up with buzzing etc on the radio !
Post #433735 26th Jun 2015 8:21am
leeds

United Kingdom 
No it is not a common thing with LED headlights!

We have had two Defenders fitted with LED headlights with no issue from radio buzzing.

Good LED headlights will have a decent level of ESD protection.

We do know that charging devices can cause radio interference, including the USB leads.

As K9F has said get a decent auto electrician to look at your vehicle, fit a new earth lead direct to battery, check all earth points on aerial, check for damaged/chafed cables etc.

Maybe besides telling people to ensure that headlights are E Marked and compare IP ratings, measured light output I should add check ESD ratings as well?

Brendan
Post #433739 26th Jun 2015 8:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>