↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Jumping out of gear...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
YOLO110

Australia 
Jumping out of gear...?
Hi Guys!

Help!

Today I did about 3 miles all in low range (L) open diffs with NO issues. I then went back onto the black top and having reselected high range (H) and started my drive home. I must have done at least 5 miles when I changed down to 2nd gear for a corner, let the clutch out and NOTHING! Lost all drive! Shocked

Initially, I thought of the recent transfer gear thread. But I checked all gears were in place and after depressing the clutch, managed to move the H/L lever back into H... 'crunching' noises and clunk! But it went back in and drive was restored!

It was obvious that somehow it had jumped out of H on the corner. I don't know why? Given I had done at last 5 miles, surely this could not have been a partial engagement between H and L... is that possible?

Any thoughts please! Has anyone here experienced something similar? I was very surprised!

All worked well afterwards too! Rolling Eyes

Cheers, Pete Smile YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #434002 27th Jun 2015 1:00pm
munch90

England 
quite possible it was not in hi properly
Post #434003 27th Jun 2015 1:26pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes I have in more than one Defender over the years and in fact and Caterham brought up one of my posts regarding it just recently ...check out his long running [aren't they all] hi/lo revs switch conjecture thread somewhere in this section.

The phenomenon isn't uncommon and it's not indicative of a fault.

Especially on a new or nearly new vehicle you need to ensure the range lever is fully engaged, it may feel like it is but it's worth taking that little bit of extra time to do something like putting the vehicle into 1st and reverse and gently letting the clutch in and out while putting a bit of pressure on the range lever until you feel it go all the way over and fully engaged in the detent. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #434009 27th Jun 2015 1:46pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Yes, I did that... this is why I am quite confused.

The H/L lever went all the way into 'H'.. well as far as physically possible! AND I had driven at least 5 miles using from 2-6th! So the 2nd gear selection that the led to no drive was a big surprise!

What goes on here? What 'holds' the selector forks into H or L? How can it be '1/2' way? How we be certain it engages 100% in either H or L ?

I thought I understood and had mechanical knowledge about the '1/2 way scenario'... hence this post! Rolling Eyes YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #434013 27th Jun 2015 1:59pm
Happyoldgit

The last time this happened to me [and only time in current Defender] was after I'd used low box a day or three before. TBH I'd noticed a bit more play in the transmission leading up the point where I was when pulling out of a junction in 1st pretty smartish, just before changing into 2nd there was a bang and loss of drive, I just knew the range lever had shifted so pulled it over and snicked it back into gear.

I've had it happen before in other Defender and in the new ones I've just put it down to newness making things stiff. If you sit in the vehicle you'll find it's possible to get drive and get the feeling the lever is 'home' but ease off the power and you might find it will ease over a bit further into the detent. Steve.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

Post #434091 27th Jun 2015 7:55pm
munch90

England 
Even if i haven't used low lever , i sometimes give it a tug as driving to make sure its in , in case its got knocked
Post #434094 27th Jun 2015 8:07pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's happened to me, right from an old series to present day. Doesn't seem to happen if you change from low to high on the move.
Post #434101 27th Jun 2015 8:21pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Thanks for the replies guys! Smile

Interesting. YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #434161 28th Jun 2015 2:24am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Mine's done that too Thumbs Up
Post #434225 28th Jun 2015 11:33am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Although the transfer box will happily go back into high box on the move with the correct technique, if you are ''relatively'' inexperienced with the LT230 I would suggest that when reengaging high box that you stop, move the lever back to high, engage 1st gear and start lifting the clutch pedal whilst holding the high/low lever back. 9 times out of 10 you will feel it move back a little further and clunk a little as it engages fully. Thus avoiding those embarrassing little moments of lost drive as high box wasn't fully engaged 😂
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #434236 28th Jun 2015 12:21pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
I had this in a disco 2, got so bad I had to use a bunji cord around headrest then tight down to lever just to hold it in. Never jumped out in low range! Ended up swapping t box! Problem solved Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #434241 28th Jun 2015 12:30pm
Happyoldgit

Mo Murphy wrote:
Although the transfer box will happily go back into high box on the move with the correct technique, if you are ''relatively'' inexperienced with the LT230 I would suggest that when reengaging high box that you stop, move the lever back to high, engage 1st gear and start lifting the clutch pedal whilst holding the high/low lever back. 9 times out of 10 you will feel it move back a little further and clunk a little as it engages fully. Thus avoiding those embarrassing little moments of lost drive as high box wasn't fully engaged 😂
HTH
Mo

"Inexperienced" ....little old me? Laughing Wink But what you've described Mo is pretty much what I generally do and similar my post above but , as you say they will generally ease in just that bit further. Had the same with Series boxes too but generally found the engagement to be more positive which isn't surprising given the differences between them. Steve.

Post #434272 28th Jun 2015 2:41pm
Mo Murphy

It wasn't aimed at you Steve, we all know you're an old git 😉 but those who are relatively new to Defenders and/or using low box. 😊
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #434532 29th Jun 2015 11:47am
YOLO110

Australia 
Mo...

Just curious why you say that you are aiming this at 'those new to Defenders'?

I (as another 'old git'!) actually learnt to drive in a Series 2 on a farm..., not to mention many years driving multi geared Tractors! So I have lots of experience driving high, low and even 'mid range' geared vehicles.

Experience was not my issue here... well not quite true, little experience with the Defender 'Puma'! But, it just seemed very odd that the jump out of all drive would happen so many miles after reselecting high range? That was my query... Question Given all the chat on here about 'loss of drive' issues, I guess I was questioning more a possible mechanical reason rather than a possible 'driver error'.

But it's good to get some feedback on idiosyncrasies of the Puma anyway! The more the better! YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #434539 29th Jun 2015 12:18pm
Mo Murphy

Yolo,
My, we are all a bit touchy today ! Must be the heat 😉
It's a piece of useful information aimed at new Defender drivers (those who have recently bought a new Defender, not having owned one before) and/or those who are not wholly familiar with high and low box operation (those who may have owned one for a while but haven't ventured into terrain requiring low box).
If you are either of these, it's nothing to be ashamed of, we all start somewhere.
If you are neither of these, then you probably already knew the above.
The point is that for many coming into Defender ownership, it's a retro techno step. Move a lever in a modern car and it does a job. Move a lever in a Defender and it sometimes does a job, requiring coaxing when it doesn't.
Learning tips and tricks smoothes the coaxing, avoids the frustration, the anger and the embarrassment (we're men after all ).
Surely that can only be a good thing ?
So relax, you're an old hand at this land rovering lark, accept that others may not have your knowledge and be happy to pass it on.
Mo 😊 The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #434661 29th Jun 2015 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>