↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wright offroad soundproofing kit question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
Wright offroad soundproofing kit question
Was looking at this as an alternative to dynamat. Has anyone fitted this to a defender and then replaced the carpets over the top? Have a 90 xs trim spec and was keen to retain the factory standard carpet look over the top off the wright kit.

Since the standard carpets aren't especially well retained I would have thought this should be possible...
Post #432827 22nd Jun 2015 2:44pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I've bought a set for our TD5 90, it's not fitted yet, but Drew at Wright offroad is a very good chap to deal with, give him a call he'll give you any advice you need.

My personal assessment is that the finish is OEM anyway, (this is the only kit that has this quality of finish as far as my research showed me anyway) and that whilst you could put carpet over the top, the contours would no longer fit properly.

If you want the soundproofing i'd just fit it and loose the carpet. It's seriously thick material. Am looking forward to seeing what difference it makes when we fit it.
Post #432835 22nd Jun 2015 4:08pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have a Wright off road matting system fitted and it looks great, really easy to clean and fits like a glove. But as for soundproofing, no not really, the difference it makes is only slight, however I have a full Noise Killer sound barriers fitted and that does make an improvement.
I can recommend wright off road matting but more as a cosmetic feature than a soundproofing one.

One word of caution the mat is thick but it will split very easy especially along a cut line if you are not careful For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #432839 22nd Jun 2015 4:27pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
I'd looked at the noisekiller stuff and it looked great and seemed like it really works, however I was hugely put off by the reports of people saying it absorbs and holds water. Especially since the 90 isn't exactly leak proof...

Disappointing to hear the wright kit didn't make a massive difference too... I am not fussed on it making it look better as it already looks neat and tidy, it was purely for the sound proofing.

Cheers for the info chaps
Post #432865 22nd Jun 2015 6:41pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
the LRO article a couple of month back reckoned it made a huge difference at all speeds.
Post #432917 22nd Jun 2015 10:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've noticed a difference in the Dynamat I've fitted and I've only done the seatboxes and front floor pans.
It is expensive but worth it.
Post #432922 22nd Jun 2015 10:17pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Must confess the reason we bought it as a kit was that my friend with a 200tdi described it as "sensational" and that it took his 90 from "ruptured ear drums to loud talking" when on a motorway!! That seemed good enough for me. Whistle Very Happy

Will see what it's like in the TD5 when we fit it this weekend. But am hopeful. Friend said he was hooked on soundproofing and had put in a big order for more to do the back end of his 200.

Expensive mat maybe but not too bad when compared to a new carpet kit or similar.
Post #432925 22nd Jun 2015 10:25pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Sorry to exhume an old thread- but - Matt110 - did you fit the Wrihght Offroad mat and did it make a difference to the noise levels? I'm thinking about doing this, not fussed about the cosmetics as my current original mats are in perfect condition but wondered what your thoughts were? Cheers
Post #458128 26th Sep 2015 8:16am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
It's still sat folornly looking at me at the back of the garage..... Just not had the time to fit it yet. Planning to do so in a few weeks along with doing a few other bits to it so will stick a post up when done with some pictures etc.
Post #458129 26th Sep 2015 8:19am
Lambley

OK matt, I'd be interested to know how it goes. Cheers
Post #458131 26th Sep 2015 8:27am
landroverdiver

Scotland 
I've previously fitted one to a 300 Tdi and just a couple of months ago to my Td5. It is quieter, it's a heck of a lot smarter than the carpets, and you don't have the soggy carpet syndrome/aroma. I did take the opportunity to replace door seals, do some leak proofing at the same time.

I stuck my rubber mats back on top, only reason really is that I can take these out, give them a wash, and put them back. No issues with pedal travel, definitely worth it

It can split if you are not careful, and a bit of modification with angle grinder needed to under seat box covers to make it sit nicely.
Post #458138 26th Sep 2015 9:13am
Lambley

^^ Thanks, mines not got carpets, just the std rubber fitted mat that goes around the tunnel and under the seats, I thought all Defenders of this kind of age had the mats rather than carpets? Maybe it was a 'Cost option' to have carpets?
Might be a daft question but do the carpets fit instead of the thick matting or over the top?
Post #458305 27th Sep 2015 8:23am
landroverdiver

Scotland 
I am on my third Defender. 1995, then 2007, now a 2004. All have been 110 Station Wagons fitted with carpets, and then tailored, but loose, rubber mats over the top.

When you fit the Wright acoustic matting system, you have to remove existing rubber matting fitted around fuse box etc, and the existing stuff around the pedals has to be trimmed.
Post #458344 27th Sep 2015 10:17am
Lambley

^^^ That explains it then, mine's a hard top. Cheers
Post #458359 27th Sep 2015 11:38am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Any updates on this.
Post #676518 6th Jan 2018 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>