↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Rear Mudflaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Was your fine in Melbourne Pete?...If so, I'm not surprised,..We are the KING of speed cameras/radrar! I was talking to an elderly man last week, never been in trouble in his life, PERFECT driving record, got done for 43 in a 40 zone,...absolute crap.
As far as Gracie is concerned, most of her driving is actually cruising around in the Country at about 80/100ks, & sinse I've been made aware of the "melting mudflap" issue, I've sort of been concentrating on using a light throttle at around 90ks, to avoid a hotter exhaust at higher engine speeds etc, and a consequent hotter exhaust, affecting the mudflap!
I was thinking about what sort of heatproof paint/coating would be available to coat the affected area with, but ya wouldn't want it to be noticeable, so I haven't seen anything suitable.
The lengths we go to!!, Pickles.
Post #431811 18th Jun 2015 12:13am
YOLO110

Australia 
Agreed mate, that IS just total crap!

Yes, it was Melbourne, but NSW is just as bad!

I am not sure what can be done about this seemingly ever increasing obsession with 'speed kills' and speeding seemingly being the only reason cops or cameras pull you. If it's revenue raising (which it obviously is), lets just increase our taxes by the equivalent of one speeding fine, say $300, and leave us all alone FFS!

Australia has a higher per capita rate of road fatalities than say either Germany or the UK, where this obsession with 'speed kills' and speeding fines is not present. Germany has many roads where there is no speed limit. In the UK, the motorway limit is 70 mph (circa 110 kph) but most people drive at 80 - 90 mph (130 - 145 kph) with no issues, keeping an appropriate braking distance between themselves and the vehicle in front. And the police let it happen. Why, because it is not unsafe!

If the police in Oz want to make a REAL contribution to road safety, start fining people for TAILGATING!! It does my head in how many people tailgate! Have a look at the smash repair yards, they are full of cars with nose/tail accident damage! Clearly the 2/3 second guidance for following distance is not taught to young motorists.

Rant over! I should be actually posting this on AULRO actually! But you guys in the UK if you visit Oz, be warned!! Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #431814 18th Jun 2015 1:19am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
Rant over! I should be actually posting this on AULRO actually! But you guys in the UK if you visit Oz, be warned!!

Haha no worries everyone needs a good rant every now and then Thumbs Up

Its not much different here to be honest, every hedge and gatepost has a bobby hiding behind it pointing a hairdryer at you. Just wish they would get on with something more productive like catching car thieves Evil or Very Mad

I hadn't realized the exhaust temperature for a 90 can melt the rubber on the mudflaps Confused
Bet that smells awful Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #431897 18th Jun 2015 1:26pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Where I work a young local lass who had only recently passed her test three months ago got clocked by a fixed 'known' speed camera doing 104mph in a 40. Her father had only just bought her a an A180 Mercedes two weeks ago. Guess who'll be walking or getting the bus to work AND retaking her test? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #431899 18th Jun 2015 1:34pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
104 in a 40 Shocked let's hope she doesn't re-pass her test!!! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #431910 18th Jun 2015 2:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Anyone who drives at 104mph in a 40 limit without an *exceptionally* good mitigation should be taken off the road .... for ever!

I cannot actually think of *any* circumstances which might justify it, although I suppose "sorry officer, I just remembered that I left the timer running on my atomic bomb and needed to get home to turn it off" might just come close.
Post #431947 18th Jun 2015 5:36pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Very curious, I have done thousands of miles towing in my 110 and the mudflaps are still spot on. I did have a second set (front and rear) fitted as the brackets rusted but the rubber was absolutely fine, as are the ones currently fitted. I hate to say it but could your nose weight be too high which is pushing the flaps into the road surface, causing the damage? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #432320 20th Jun 2015 9:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
90 rear mud flap brackets are mounted on the rear cross member whereas the 110 ones are fixed inboard of the rear cross member between chassis and rear wing.

Our 90 has suffered on n/s rear mudflap a lot worse then the offside mudflap.

Since nearside is worse then offside I wonder if pressure from exhaust pipe could be an influencing factor?

Back off the accelerator rapidly pressure/volume flow rate from exhaust drops and pressure differential across mudflap forces it onto rear tyre.

Also what effect does tyre tread pattern have? Does a mud terrain type tyre having a more open tread pattern 'grab' the rear mud flap more effectively then a 'smoother' road going tyre?

It is not something I am going to worry about too much, personally. Will just put it down as a Defender quirk.

Brendan
Post #432353 20th Jun 2015 12:14pm
watts

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Apologies to drag up an old post and it may not be of interest to some but it may to others so here is an update on my rear mudflap situation!

Got a FOC replacement pair from my dealer a while ago I then sent them to my local man, he's done a great job using stainless steel.

I plan to see if it works first and then maybe add a few cut outs to lower the possibility of mud getting stuck between the flap and steel and then maybe powder coat black.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #457135 22nd Sep 2015 3:42pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
From what I have heard and seen the factors seem to include speed and what is being towed.

I had a mudflap issue when dragging a large caravan but the other day with a small one on the back doing a speed I won't quote during the odd overtake there wasn't any sign of damage.

The others seem have mostly been farmers with the large cattle box on the back towing along A roads Etc..Etc..

With the speed and the bluff frontal area of the trailer and the sharp rear profile of the land rover I can only think that it creates such a low pressure area that the mudflap is forced down and forward.

Perhaps it's time to test the theory, Any one get a spare wind tunnel for an afternoon?
Post #457162 22nd Sep 2015 5:29pm
watts

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Hi Devon Land Rover

Got accused of towing too fast ourselves but it has been know to happen with us at well under 40mph.

Also it just affects 90's because of the short over hang and flat/tall trailers, we've got a cattle box style trailer and because we use the vehicle and trailer as a 'show' vehicle for the business they need to be in top condition so we had to come up with a solution, this is a first attempt.

Now I know the weakness in design I see many LR's at agri marts which have been towing livestock trailers with damaged flaps. Goes with the territory I suppose.
Post #457165 22nd Sep 2015 5:39pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
K9F wrote:
Where I work a young local lass who had only recently passed her test three months ago got clocked by a fixed 'known' speed camera doing 104mph in a 40. Her father had only just bought her a an A180 Mercedes two weeks ago. Guess who'll be walking or getting the bus to work AND retaking her test?

She is lucky that she did not do that here. That kind of speeding here means mandatory a 1 year jail term, it is written in the law, the only thing the judge can do would be to make it 1 year with probation. Doing 104mph where limit is 40mph is outright criminal anyway, so whatever fine she got in the UK, she fully deserves it. You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #457177 22nd Sep 2015 6:06pm
Iain

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Likewise in the UK, anything over 100mph and the judge has the option of a custodial sentence, perhaps more of them need to take that option to deter this kind of thing. I'm guilty of a heavier foot, but not in a populated or hazardous area where a 40 limit is needed.

Following the thread with interest before I hook up anything big for a long journey on my 110. COTAG 4x4 Response

2015 XS USW Corris Grey on DF MTR's
Post #457398 23rd Sep 2015 10:17am
jaco

Belgium 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
my solution

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #466652 26th Oct 2015 12:45pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Iain wrote:
Likewise in the UK, anything over 100mph and the judge has the option of a custodial sentence, perhaps more of them need to take that option to deter this kind of thing. I'm guilty of a heavier foot, but not in a populated or hazardous area where a 40 limit is needed.

Following the thread with interest before I hook up anything big for a long journey on my 110.

Don't worry, this only effects 90's where the flap is much nearer the tyre.
Post #466660 26th Oct 2015 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123