↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > NFU- Massively impressed!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
NFU- Massively impressed!
Hi Guys,

Another insurance post I know but I'm a firm believer in sharing the knowledge and experience Very Happy

I was quoted £435 on my renewal for tpft cover on my 110 doing 20k miles a year, I approached A-plan, NFU, Lancaster and some other insurers who were recommended to me by family or collogues.

The recommended ones (including Lancaster) wouldn't touch me as how dare I be under 25 and in a modified vehicle - let alone a 23 year old one I dare to use every day!

A-Plan were at first very helpful and took all my details down and were very friendly and aware of the Defender2 forum which was great. Due to the modifications they had to refer it to their underwriters (fair enough) which they couldn't do until Monday as I was calling on a Saturday. I hadn't heard anything by Tuesday so I chased them to be told "We couldn't find a quote competitive with your renewal quote so we didn't see the point in contacting you" I queried this and said I may want their policy if it offered more than what Flux was offering. They said they would email me over the quote and let me have a look, this was a week ago and I am yet to receive anything. Poor show, it started so promisingly and I had high hopes.

I contacted my local NFU branch who took all my details and again due to it being the weekend had to check with there underwriters about the modifications and said they would get back to me on Monday, asked when I was available, we agreed on lunchtime and that was that. Monday lunchtime arrives and so does a phone call from my local NFU branch with my new policy. Even though it was more expensive in the renewal due to the fact there apr is lower on the direct debit payments it was cheaper per month than Flux but it had an added bonus of being a comprehensive policy! Fantastic!

At this point I decided to see about adding my girlfriend on as a named driver. She is learning to drive currently and keen to drive my defender (which is both a huge win for me but also like giving a Fabergé egg to a toddler) I thought I would ask the question as now was the time do do it. I would point out she is having weekly lessons with a professional but wants to be able to have practice sessions too. Whistle Whistle

Adrian Flux came back and said "We can put her on her own learner driver policy not a problem, but as you are under 25 we would require someone else to be in the car with her. Therefore we cannot add her to your policy" I was not very impressed as that made a mockery of the reason why I was looking to add her to my policy!

Spoke to NFU, explained the situation and £30 extra she was added. Sold Thumbs Up

All in all very impressed with the service I got from NFU, very down to earth, they knew what I was talking about when I said I have converted it from a CSW back to a USW back - to which the reply was "ahh cool sounds great!" rather than sucking off teeth and "err so what windows did you remove?"

Very happy Smile

The other main highlight from this was MY GIRLFRIEND WANTS A DEFENDER TOO Cool Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #424612 18th May 2015 9:55pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up
Post #424619 18th May 2015 10:10pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Thumbs Up Another thumbs up from me! We insure all our vehicles with them and they've always been next to impossible to beat on prices.
Post #424634 18th May 2015 10:38pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Just to add a bit of balance, last year they quoted me £1985 for a year which was much less competitive Rolling Eyes

Ether way I'm very pleased Very Happy

Glad to know others have had good experience with them Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #424636 18th May 2015 10:46pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I rate the NFU very highly, they seem very competitive to me and I often test the water with other insurers, they get all of my insurance, house, cars etc. Another good thing about the NFU is that if you do cancel after paying a years premium, they give you every full day back, not a percentage minus a cut. I've insured a few vehicles short term without penalty, and if you have a service and get given a courtesy car, just give them a call when you go to the dealers and they'll cover it for you without charge. Thumbs Up
Post #424644 18th May 2015 11:04pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Another thumbs up for the NFU here.

Our three Defenders are all insured with them including the JE 4.4 V8 and when time came to add a newly qualified employee to the works van the increase in premium was just £30 !
Post #424682 19th May 2015 7:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
Been with NFU for over 20 years now and have house, business, and 5 vehicles insured with them.

What I did like was when I moved my business to home they actually offered to come out and check buildings locks etc before quoting to get accurate cover. 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #424683 19th May 2015 8:00am
uncas

United Kingdom 
My insurance is due for renewal I've just spoken to my local NFU office and they have quoted £672.00 for three drivers fully comp on a 1999 Defender 90 which is just short of £300.00 over the quote that I had from A plan. Speaking o fA plan they suggested a change of insurers this year Allianz wanted £432.64 Ageas £374.64 but when I informed them that my mileage for this year would reduce by 40% and that I had fitted Defender half leather seats the quote went up which I find amusing (not).
So how the hell do people with 110 CSW's seem to get a hell of a better quote than I do from NFU? I'm well over 25 so is my wife and my daughter who would be the third occasional driver.

Uncas
Post #441349 29th Jul 2015 12:17pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I too have wondered how NFU give decent quotes.

I am 39, live in a decent postcode, only going to do 5000 miles a year and have a full clean licence and full NCD, yet they wanted over £1,000 more than anyone else.

I don't get it? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #441354 29th Jul 2015 12:29pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
+1 for NFU

I've been with NFU for my Defender (2001 TD5) for many years. It has a few mods (roll cage, winch, extra lights etc...all declared) and the price for the current year is £275 fully comp. I think I limited it to 10k miles/year.

Cant complain at that, plus when I had to claim in the past for a stolen Defender and Disco, they treated me very well. I'm always wary of insurers who appear good when they are taking your money, but seem hard to get hold of when you want a pay-out.

cheers

simon
Post #441356 29th Jul 2015 12:46pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
The NFU recently quoted me the best and by far the cheapest as I have 9 seats. I did however have to use the local branch as the main call centre couldn't help as it has over 8 seats.

If you have a local branch try that rather than the main call centre it might be cheaper.

Just a thought....
Post #441358 29th Jul 2015 12:55pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
Simon I've had insurance NFU before I have my home insurance with them and I have no problem with them what so ever. I can't justify paying almost £300.00 more than A plan quoted for a standard motor could you? I've just had a quote for £325.88 with LV. Maybe you ought to give me your NFU offices number.

Uncas
Post #441361 29th Jul 2015 1:05pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I use the branch in Knutsford, Cheshire...details here:-

NFU Mutual | Insurance House, 22-24 Princess Street, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6BU
tel: 01565 633 770 | fax: 01565 632 085

I have to say, the price they quoted for my Disco was much higher than I get from Aviva, so perhaps its age/model related differences..?

cheers

simon
Post #441364 29th Jul 2015 1:13pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
Paddie I usually deal directly with NFU in Scotland but this time I called the Local office which is about 4 miles from me. It's of no use to me at the moment but I was informed that NFU were revising their rates in the next few months. I can't understand how there is such a difference in some of the quotes that I receive and others on here.

Anyway I'll give them a call next year.

Uncas
Post #441368 29th Jul 2015 1:17pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
Thanks Simon.

Uncas
Post #441369 29th Jul 2015 1:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>