↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Jaguar Land Rover worker stole car parts worth £2 MILLION
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Jaguar Land Rover worker stole car parts worth £2 MILLION
"A Jaguar Land Rover employee who stole car parts with a retail value of up to £2 MILLION has been told to expect ‘a lengthy custodial sentence’.

Logistics co-ordinator Simon Wensley had denied the theft, over a three-year period, and a further charge of fraud by making false tax returns.

But at the end of a four-week trial at the Crown Court in Leamington the jury found Wensley, aged 55, of Kingsbury Road, Coundon, Coventry, guilty of both charges.

Prosecutor Laura Hobson said the thefts took place between May 2010 and the beginning of 2013 while Wensley was working for JLR in Gaydon.

He worked in the vehicle safety department which develops components such as seats and seat belts and, together with the Powertrain department, carries out tests on a track at Gaydon.

She told the court: “Simon Wensley has been employed by Jaguar Land Rover for many years, and he was well-liked by his colleagues and had a reputation for being effective, reliable and trustworthy.

“But that made it easier for him to take advantage of the trust placed in him and to steal from his employers.”

From 2006 he was employed as a project engineer by the car firm through a service company called Wenztec Ltd of which he was sole director. But after his contract was terminated because of a downturn in business, he returned to JLR to work a logistics co-ordinator for the vehicle safety department.

“Engineers would tell him what components they needed for a test, and Mr Wensley would place the order and deliver it to the engineer,” said Miss Hobson.

During the period of the offences Wensley earned a total of just over £126,000 which was paid to Wenztec, from which he drew an annual salary of £10,000.

Explaining how the thefts came to light, Miss Hobson said: “JLR’s investigation department noticed that a large number of parts were being ordered, particularly diesel fuel injectors, and there was no apparent reason for that.”

The parts were for an engine which had not been produced by JLR since 2007, but more than 2,000 – enough for more than 400 engines – had been ordered, mainly by Wensley.

In total, almost 4,500 parts with a retail value of £2 million were ordered by Wensley for vehicles which were no longer in production, but which could be sold on to owners of such vehicles, compared to only two such orders placed by other employees.

The jury heard that when police searched the Daventry premises of WT Motorsports, of which Wensley was a director, they found 276 items worth over £23,000.

His bank accounts and tax records showed that his declared income from Wenztec and WT Motorsports between 2010 and 2013 was £36,785.

But a total of more than £263,000 had been paid into his accounts in cash during that period – with more than £8,000 in cash being paid in each month.

“The only way to account for that is the sale of all those items he was stealing,” suggested Miss Hobson.

Wensley had claimed the money had come from his involvement in Masonic activities, his hobby of buying and selling Masonic regalia, and gambling.

The case was adjourned for pre-sentence reports, but Judge Andrew Lockhart warned Wensley to ‘expect a lengthy custodial sentence.’"

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/cove...51#rlabs=3
Post #421241 5th May 2015 8:39am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Wow!
That's quite a story, never fails to amaze me at what lengths people will go to for a few quid! 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #421246 5th May 2015 8:59am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
That's more than just a 'few' quid ....... wow 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #421252 5th May 2015 9:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What a dimwit! How on earth did he ever expect that he wasn't going to get caught? How stupid did he think JLR is?

Deserves everything that's coming.
Post #421259 5th May 2015 10:38am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #421260 5th May 2015 10:43am
ian series 1

Sounds like greed got the better of him! 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #421263 5th May 2015 10:45am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ There's plenty around like that in this day and age.
Post #421264 5th May 2015 10:47am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I bet this kind of thing goes on everyday, in lots of places, because he got greedy and probably couldn't stop himself he got caught! He won't be the only one doing it.
I bet he won't be the only one who gets a roasting either, I wouldn't be surprised if heads didn't roll in the accounts and procurement departments too, somebody's got to sign off invoices and check this kind of thing out.
Post #421266 5th May 2015 11:22am
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
What a dimwit!
It remind me of the Johnny Cash song where the guy steals a car bit by bit (over many years). Rolling with laughter --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #421274 5th May 2015 12:01pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Explaining how the thefts came to light, Miss Hobson said: “JLR’s investigation department noticed that a large number of parts were being ordered, particularly diesel fuel injectors, and there was no apparent reason for that.”

The parts were for an engine which had not been produced by JLR since 2007, but more than 2,000 – enough for more than 400 engines – had been ordered, mainly by Wensley. "

So is that Td5 engines then? So who's had some "good value" fuel injectors from EBay?
Post #421276 5th May 2015 12:07pm
ian series 1

Would be interesting to know who and where his sales outlets were? 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #421295 5th May 2015 1:21pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Supercat

This was only going to end in one way... Shocked

Years ago, in fact when I bought my first car, I used a independent garage in London that
supplied and serviced my grandfathers cars (he used to own a chauffeur driven business).

The owner of this garage used to work for British Leyland, before setting up his own business.
He said that the unions negotiated and secured a no search policy at the gates... Exclamation
You just can't believe this is true, but he said that it was.

Also the vehicle testers would often leave the premises to 'test cars' even strapping on
second exhaust systems before heading off, in some areas there was massive
'shrinkage' of held stock...

All a bit sad really, and it would appear, in this case, never addressed by staff or management.

As said, there will always be 'opportunists'... Twisted Evil SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #421329 5th May 2015 3:31pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Surely the courts should seize all the accused's property (inc house etc if proven guilty)... and sell it to repay some/all of the debt... I always feel that in cases like this where huge amounts have been procured/stolen that the defendant if proven guilty should also pay for their custodial time (why should we have to stump up?)...

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #421367 5th May 2015 5:53pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Off Topic When I was an apprentice at I.C.I. they had a rule that if you were caught taking items out of the site it was bye bye you had been warned. I got caught with a pencil marked I.C.I. wedge behind my ear, I was told it would be alright as long as I brought it back next day and produce it to the gate supervisor. At 17 yrs. I was scarred I would loose my job so didn't sleep much that night, the next morning the gate supervisor smiled and patted me on the head and said to his mate "cross that missing pencil off the list" Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #421428 5th May 2015 9:08pm
rustyboxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
Morepower wrote:
Surely the courts should seize all the accused's property (inc house etc if proven guilty)... and sell it to repay some/all of the debt...

If the prosecution team have got their act together they will also be using the Proceeds of crime act. This gives the judge the opportunity to levy an additional fine based on the money made out of the crime.

Having been involved in a case where we used this Act, I can vouch for its effectiveness in relieving the perp of a significant sum Cool 2015 90 XS CSW TDCi - Beautiful
2007 110 XS DCPU - An itch that needed scratching
2005 90 Td5 XS CSW - Utterly brilliant
2001 Discovery 2 ES Auto - A phase I went through
1996 90 Tdi CSW - Uber reliable
1989 90 2.5 Petrol Hardtop - My first proper Landy
1985 Range Rover Vogue V8 -Troublesome
Post #421440 5th May 2015 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>