↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Something just not quite right
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landy nut

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 PU Epsom Green
Something just not quite right
Well I have an 06 plate td5 and something just doesnt feel quite right. This is my third td5 and it just doesn't seem to work as well as the last two. The power delivery seems to be slightly more uneven than my last two and the general feel of the engine as it drives is that it is just not as smooth. It doesn't drive badly but it's not quite up to the last two. It doesn't have the smoothest gearchanges known to man (when engaging and disengaging the clutch) so I am wondering about a possible fueling issue. It doesn't misfire or any of the usual things that are associated with looms etc. It just feels a little less gutsy that the last ones and considering it is a 90 and the last were 110's it just a bit odd. Nothing about it feels what you would call "wrong" but it's just bugging me. Can anyone help at all before I start spending money on diagnostics, MAF, MAP and crank sensors again??
Post #36641 20th Jul 2010 1:12pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
First and cheapest thing to do. Unplug the MAF sensor and go for a drive. If it suddenly seems nice and smooth then you've found the answer.

If that doesn't show any difference then clean the MAP sensor as well - they get terribly gunged up, especially if you still have the EGR fitted.

If it still doesn't drive nicely then get someone with the right diagnostic kit (and who knows how to use it) to have a look - preferably whilst being driven. IRB Developments and others such as Bell Autos can do this sort of thing. Don't start replacing stuff hoping to hit the answer - that's the expensive way of doing it. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #36650 20th Jul 2010 5:21pm
changill

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Got to go with nosnibod. Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference.
If you aren't happy doing this then take the MAF sensor out. HAve a look inside the wire mesh and there should be two probes. Each consist of 2 legs and a thinner wire between them. Check that everything is there and is clean. Spray some brake cleaner on them and "blow" dry.

If that don't work then look for internally collapsed intercooler hoses and give the MAP/IAT sensor a clean. " bolts to remove , if you don't already know.

Let us know if any of that helps?

Chan Only Alcohol Can Save me Now

Nanocom Available in the North West
Post #37140 27th Jul 2010 1:19pm
Landy nut

Well I did what I did on my last one. I took out the inlet manifold sensor, gave it a good clean and put it back. No difference. I then disconnected the air flow meter and voilą, better driving, better acceleration and generally nicer to drive. Throttle seems completely different to use.
Took it back to the dealer who then ran a diagnostic and changed the air flow meter. Picked the vehicle up and it still isn't quite right. Power still varies and acceleration is either go go go or plod as you fancy. The low down power and torque isn't great either.
I am fed up now. Nothing shows on diagnostic, there is a new air flow meter and the inlet manifold sensor is clean.
Post #37594 3rd Aug 2010 8:49pm
changill

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Have you had the intercooler hoses off? They sometimes delaminate from the inside and cause air flow problems. Another simple (and cheap) check is a look at the vacuum Air hose from the Turbo wastegate. Check it for security, holes and leaks along its length and at both ends. Depending on the symptoms the wastegate might also be sticking. What mileage are you on?

The MAF sensor that has been fitted could always be duff!! Unplug again to confirm?

It would probably be best if you could do a run with a nanocom fitted. This records real time sensor data that you can analyse to see where any problems lie.

If you are in the North West you are welcome to pop round to mine and use my Nanocom.

Cheers

Chan Only Alcohol Can Save me Now

Nanocom Available in the North West
Post #37607 4th Aug 2010 9:10am
Landy nut

Well I am pleased to report that the new afm seems to be bedded in and the drive has improved dramatically. Happy camper now I tell you.
Post #37741 7th Aug 2010 3:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1