↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Enough room in a 90??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
WWA

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Orkney Grey
Enough room in a 90??
Hello there,

After reading lots of camping, caravaning and expedition threads on this forum it has inspired me to break from theme norm of staying in a cottage in a chosen location and to do a but of camping and touring...

Only trouble is, most of you seem to 'go on tour' in 110s. I love my 90 and I was hoping to draw on people's experience of going away in a 90, I know that there is far less storage space and we will be taking the dogs with us on our trips which take up a lot of room in the back. But with a roof rack fitted and some careful planning, is it possible to fit say 2 weeks of gear into a 90?!

The other option I have been considering is buying a small caravan, like a Tab 320 or similar. This is a more expensive option.

Basically I am wanting to draw on your opinions and advice so I can plan some fun for next spring.

Or do I bite the bullet and go for a 110?!

Thanks in advance for your comments, all welcome!! Thumbs Up
Post #162172 15th Aug 2012 7:16pm
Surrey Rover

I never did it with the family, but, I used to take my 90 loaded to the gunnels with fishing stuff to France every year. Two blokes, two boats, engines, 250K bait, bivvys etc etc. you could always use more space but with the rack its very possible. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #162174 15th Aug 2012 7:27pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
The problem will be the dogs, take a small trailer then the dogs can have some comfort and lots of room for gear. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #162176 15th Aug 2012 7:35pm
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
We regularly go camping in our 90. 2 adults 1x6yr old, no dogs. We've a montana 6 plus front extension, fridge, exped beds etc etc..... We have to use a trailer GA150 and it's still a squeeze! Ive resisted a roof rack but that'll be next to carry bikes!

It's the only time I look at a 110 and think maybe.....

Stu
Post #162177 15th Aug 2012 7:38pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
As a couple we found that a 90 was just right space wise, but with 2 weeks worth of camping gear and clothing etc everything had to be really neat and tidy - which sadly we are not.

In the end we chose to get the 110 on the basis that we could pack everything we wanted, in a far less tidy fashion, and still have room for a dog.

You can do it in a 90 - but a trailer will be needed IMO. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #162179 15th Aug 2012 7:44pm
WWA

Thanks for the replys, I suppose a trailer is the best option if I can't bring myself to get a 110, not that I don't like them, quite the opposite, really like them. The 90 is a lot better suited to 90% of my lifestyle though, plus it's fairly new and would wince at the ££££ lost the day it was driven from the show room!!! Hmmm the mind ponders, 110, trailer, caravan..

Maybe a lottery win and the I could keep the 90 and get and nice 110!! Yep that's a plan. Confused
Post #162183 15th Aug 2012 7:56pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I love my 90 and I have a TAB Thumbs Up

We get on with our 90, but as it's only 2 of us it's easy to say so, but I need a 130.

We did a Holiday cottage trip for 1 week and with all clothes and food, including a large cool box and we still got all our biking and kayaking kit in as well, without putting the THULE bag on the rack.

And with the Tab...
Post #162185 15th Aug 2012 8:01pm
WWA

Greeni, love your 90 and I aspire to the image of the tab on the back.. Hard things to find 2nd hand... I would appreciate it if you could tell me where you got yours, and how you find it? Really don't want to be towing a big white caravan but it's the best option so far.. Shocked
Post #162187 15th Aug 2012 8:05pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Thanks, there's more pics of the TAB here.. https://picasaweb.google.com/letsoffroad/C...NBellatrix

We saw them at the airstream factory in Tebay and found the build quality of the Tab to be better Shocked

Then we decided look for them and one came up on the Tab forum, within an hour of it being on, we had bought it, lots more wanted too !!!

The attention it gets on the back of the 90 is quite freaky!!
Post #162189 15th Aug 2012 8:13pm
WWA

Cheers Greeni, I like it a lot. Will have to look into thme more. Weather proof as well!!
Post #162190 15th Aug 2012 8:15pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
GREENI, be careful pitching on the beach. Whilst you asleep at night the tide might come in, meaning you wake up in the morning somewhere else. Mr. Green
Post #162208 15th Aug 2012 9:15pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Sounds great !!! Thumbs Up

Every morning a mystery Laughing
Post #162211 15th Aug 2012 9:27pm
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Looks excellent with the T@B Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of a trailer myself at the minute in order to use the 90 for camping with swmbo and my 2 small daughters. They absolutely love the new 90 and don't like travelling in anything else Very Happy Darren
Post #162223 15th Aug 2012 10:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ironically, we've just loaded my 110 for camping this weekend and have had to resort to using a trailer too Rolling Eyes The volume of stuff like chairs, bedding, thermorests, water containers, fridge and sundry other stuff meant it wouldn't fit in the back. That's for four of us.

I've just been showing my wife pictures of some of the very sexy 130's on here Laughing More realistically though, it looks like I've now justified the purchase of a Sankey trailer at some point in the future Whistle Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #162228 15th Aug 2012 10:37pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Have a read of some of my posts (there are loads dotted about on here!) but in summary we have been prepping my 90 this year from an extended camping trip. By extended I mean up to 6 months. In Australia!

In the UK we have only tended to do one or two night stop overs camping - so no worries getting stuff in - no fridge, just a cool bag with ice packs packed just before setting off, couple of clothes bags, modern lightweight 4 man tent, aerosol stove, a couple of chairs, 10l water container. Thats pretty much it. And that was when I had a 90litre LPG tank in the back. Probably easily do-able for 2 for a few nights, plus a couple of medium sized dogs, especially now I have swopped to diesel so no LPG tank!

However, for Australia we definitely NEED more kit - loads of tools, spares, proper fridge, table, nicer chairs etc, bigger and more water containers, better stove, LPG canister. Thought about an off-road camping trailer but then re-thunked it!

Putting an expedition roll cage on was a priority for us for and but of course it can double up as a roof rack. So we decided on a roof tent rather than a trailer. Other kit such as a spare tyre, a couple of waffle boards etc can also go up there and bedding goes inside the roof tent when folded.

That leave plenty of room in the back of the 90 for the kit listed above, plus clothes bags. Dave just bought a new guitar so that might get squeezed in too!

Looking at it for 2 weeks away camping in the UK / Europe you wouldn't need some of the kit we need for the Oz trip, but would recommend thinking about a roof tent instead of a van. Really depends on what sort of camping you want to do - comfy, warm and dry or more natural and outdoorsy! Thumbs Up Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #162236 15th Aug 2012 11:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>