↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender suspension change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
windymiller

United Kingdom 
Defender suspension change
So i have had a few Defenders and they do different things i.e. our 110 runs Terrafirma big bores and helper springs as it is used as an overland vehicle and carries 3 odd ton around all the time .

I have a new defender just arrived factory fresh and am wondering which suspension change to do ,my old one i have for sale in the for sale section runs extreme 4x4 springs and pro comp shocks which are softer than standard and make it a much more comfortable ride ,

So having bean bounced senseless on a recent trip in Ireland last week any advice on the best i.e. shocks/springs set up would be very great full ...The object being to get a smoother ride from it .
Post #415453 11th Apr 2015 6:45pm
newhue

Australia 
I won't bother banging on about my springs as they are made here. But I have found Koni 90's a soft ride like standard, and hold the car slightly better on corners. This is in a 130 with 500 to 700kg constant weight. A full car at 3.5Tt they barely warm up after hours of corrugations, and you can hold your hand on them for 20+ seconds after a 8 hours of cross axel articulation at 15km/h. So in that sense they are trust worthy and reliable. Plus you get to fiddle with rebound damping as they age, and are rebuildable if you ever get that far.
I think however I will go the 82 series next. I believe they can be re valved or are better valved standard for a Defender. I have found the 90's make a thud sound if you drop them off a gutter say 200mm high, or go over a speed bump at >10km/h It seems they don't catch the downward movement fast enough, and apparently cant be re-valved to do so.
But it may also be why they are designed for busses first and for-most. If they are on a truck with a good load it doesn't happen. So they work best with good weight.

Have heard ARB's Old Man Emu's are OK. But only expect to get 80K before they are cactus. And they can turn black from heat with hours of abuse. Perhaps a couple sets of them to one Koni 90's is a fairer way to go. My Defender and travels
Post #415586 11th Apr 2015 11:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1