↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Exmoor Trim Retrim Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Exmoor Trim Retrim Question
My driver's seat was in a pretty terrible state (as it was when I bought it) so I've bought a retrim kit from Exmoor.
Did the seat base yesterday and have now got to the back.

The instructions are all for the old style of seat rather than the Puma, and things have changed a bit. My issue is with the gluing. Most of the parts the instructions say to glue on the TD5 seat are similar to the Puma one, so it would be easy enough to do that I think. However, the old foam wasn't glued to the frame in any way so I'm wondering if I should?

Possibly the reason the old foam was in such a bad way is that it should have been glued but wasn't?

Has anyone done it before? Glue or not glue?

Just so I've written it down in case anyone else has issues, to get the head rest sockets out of the seat back, remove the head rest then twist the socket 90° and they just lift out. The instructions for the TD5 seats to just hit it are wrong.

This is the state the old foam was in, quite impressively broken for 14k miles really!

Click image to enlarge
Post #414263 6th Apr 2015 8:00pm
Skeggy 90

England 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 SW Bali Blue
Have you looked on Exmoor Trims website, there are a couple of videos showing how to recover seats. I glued my rear seat back to the seat frame. 90 300 TDI SW (sold)
130 TD5 Utility (Foley SV) (sold)
110 TD5 Hardtop (sold)
110 TDCI Utility (sold)
1st Edition Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Velar P380 HSE
Discovery 1 V8 auto
Puma 130 Double Cab (sold)
R35 GTR
Defender 110 300 TDI CSW (sold)
2010 110 XS Utility
Post #414268 6th Apr 2015 8:13pm
dorsetsmith

i would speak exmoor trim if you are buying kit from them alway help you Thumbs Up
Post #414271 6th Apr 2015 8:16pm
Cupboard

I've already bought it Thumbs Up

The videos on their website, along with the instructions supplied, are all for the TD5 seats. The video instructions clearly say glue. The written instructions don't mention anything about it and the original one wasn't glued at all.

Hence my confusion!
Post #414298 6th Apr 2015 8:42pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Can I ask what you think of the kit please ?

I'm considering their leather retrim kit with heater elements as an alternative to buying some puma take our seats ...

It's a bit daunting though and I don't know what kind of finish I would get.
Post #414307 6th Apr 2015 8:59pm
Cupboard

well so far it's been fine. Actually getting it to me was a challenge (see my grumble thread) but it seems basically identical to the original.

The seat base was fine to do, though a bit fiddly. It's harder than the video but easily DIY-able. I did enlist the help of my dad for one part though it would probably be possible without. Seeing as I'm visiting them and he was available I made my life easier! Moving to the back, the original is held on with little wire ties that were too difficult to remove so I just cut them off, the replacement uses cable ties instead.

My biggest problem is with the instructions. They're all for the old style of seat, and the written instructions leave massive bits out. For instance, the seat back instructions don't mention fitting the new foam at all, they start with you putting the new cover back on which is only half the job.

I'll take a picture of the finished product when I'm done, but bearing in mind I'm not the neatest of chaps the base has turned out well.
Post #414320 6th Apr 2015 9:15pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Thanks ! I'll look forward to the pictures.
Post #414329 6th Apr 2015 9:39pm
SimonDavies

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zambezi Silver
I have done my drivers seat. From what I remember the foam was not glued to the frame and I did not glue it when refitting.
Everything is fine with the seat after 4 months of use. I even used cable ties instead of the metal rings when refitting the cover.
Post #414341 6th Apr 2015 10:11pm
Cupboard

I've just spoken to Exmoor on the phone and apparently you definitely do glue the foam to the frame, and definitely don't (as the lady first said) glue the cover to the foam.

So there we go, it's written down for the next person to have problems!
Post #414404 7th Apr 2015 9:49am
Cupboard

All done now, I'll put up some pictures tomorrow.

For future reference, you need some side cutters (small ones would be good), don't leave any cable ties out, and glue the foam sticking as far forwards as possible, rather than actually flush to the frame as I did. On the last point, I'm not 100% sure about that but think it would have worked better. Pictures to explain later.
Post #414598 7th Apr 2015 9:50pm
Larissa

United Kingdom 
THANK YOU! And a headrest retrim question.
I know this is an old thread but thank you so much for posting how to remove the headrest holders! It’s been driving me nuts.

To glue or not to glue though? None of the videos I can find show gluing the foam to the puma seat frame. The older one yes, but not this one. Still only the old Exmoor Trim videos out there.

Any idea how to recover the headrest? Do you just glue the new cover onto the foam? Any help would be very much appreciated. It’s the two stalk headrest.
Post #665546 19th Nov 2017 6:30pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
They can be a bit fiddly, I upgraded mine to the premium style seats. But they are amazing quality and the finish (especially for a diy) is excellent which is a testament to how good they really are. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #665550 19th Nov 2017 6:36pm
Larissa

United Kingdom 
Thanks
Thanks. I did the seat bases no problem (well sore fingers but straight forward). They look great. The backs look easier to do. We'll see!
Post #665563 19th Nov 2017 7:44pm
Snorkers

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Hi,
I recently 're upholstered the seat back on my drivers seat (Puma hard top). I used an Exmoor foam with their denim twill cover. The old foam was collapsed when I bought the truck, to the extent that the steel supports had eventually worn holes in the old cover.

I had been looking for decent take outs however they are few and far between in my neck of the woods. I eventually decided to go for it, and it was so easy, I'm kicking myself that I waited so long!

I did use a little spray adhesive on the foam in the areas suggested on the td5 video even though I'm not sure there was any on the old foam. I also used zip ties instead of upholstery rings.

I can confirm that the Exmoor foam appears to have a reinforcement in the area where the old foam had burst. That's the same area damaged in the photos above, so I'm hopeful it would outlive a stock foam

The cover is also well made, and looks the part. If their other covers are of a similar quality,I'd have no hesitation in recommending them. If your stock seating resembles a burst couch, don't punish yourself sitting against the steel frame as I did for years. Just 're trim those seats Very Happy

I'm glad now that I didn't waste the cash on new seats as the old frames were fine. I took about two hours to remove the seat from the cab, trim it and bung it back in

Hope this gives others the confidence to go for it. As above the, headrest sockets rotate through 90 degrees and pull out. There on a bayonet style fitting.

Early Christmas present for your motor?

Regards. Snorkers.
Post #665838 20th Nov 2017 9:06pm
Larissa

United Kingdom 
I got some fairly wrecked puma seats but the frames are in lovely condition. I’ve recovered the bases and stripped the backs now. Discovered after much puzzling that they’ve sent me the wrong headrest covers - they really weren’t going to fit! They’re being replaced though. The seat bases look great and they are a huge improvement on the old collapsed foam in my original seats. I’ve gone for Black span/mondus. It does look really smart. I love the coveres but I’m less than impressed with the lack of instructions and that’s the second problem with the order! I’m sure we’ll get there in the end! I will be using the supplied cable ties. Had hells job getting the hog rings off and I have no wish to ever see them again!

Thanks for the tip about removing the plastic headrest holders.

I’ve been using Mr Sheen where they suggest using silicone spray in the video. Works a treat. I’ll post pics when they’re done.
Post #665849 20th Nov 2017 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>