↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > 130 Chassis Cab to Doublecab Pickup?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
130 Chassis Cab to Doublecab Pickup?
Hi Guys,

Me again.... Whistle

Again, another question for those who may have experience or knowledge or both...

If I was to buy a chassis cab 130, convert it to a doublecab- would this then be eligible to be re registered as a doublecab, or not? And how difficult would it be?

Reason being, you can rarely find 200/300Tdi in good nick and those that you do are ether fetching top dollar or have been converted into a tipper.

I have no need for a tipper but I do want to have a 130 to build into an overland wagon to do some serious travelling in to try and keep my 110 in top condition as "best".

Lunacy or good idea?

Or stop dithering and just buy one shaggy Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #412801 31st Mar 2015 8:05pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
No idea on the reg bit Razz but I know a chap that's doing the exact thing your on about but for his work. If I see him I will ask him Thumbs Up
Post #412809 31st Mar 2015 8:36pm
shaggydog

Top man Mick thank you!

Fantastic truck btw Wink Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #412815 31st Mar 2015 8:46pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
The chap is a farrier like me and had the big utility body on a crew cab 300 tdi but his family has grown so he needs a crew cab now so he got a galv chassis and rebuilt it
I ain't seen it yet though but I can call or find his no Thumbs Up
Post #412830 31st Mar 2015 9:15pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: 130 Chassis Cab to Doublecab Pickup?
shaggydog wrote:
Hi Guys,

Me again.... Whistle

Again, another question for those who may have experience or knowledge or both...

If I was to buy a chassis cab 130, convert it to a doublecab- would this then be eligible to be re registered as a doublecab, or not? And how difficult would it be?

Reason being, you can rarely find 200/300Tdi in good nick and those that you do are ether fetching top dollar or have been converted into a tipper.

I have no need for a tipper but I do want to have a 130 to build into an overland wagon to do some serious travelling in to try and keep my 110 in top condition as "best".

Lunacy or good idea?

Or stop dithering and just buy one shaggy Rolling Eyes

Of a similar vein to Shaggydog, and having become a little obsessed with Davina McCall's Bowler Double Cab, has anyone on here done a 110SW conversion to Double Cab? If so, is it easy or not worth the hassle? I need to keep my SW configuration for work for the foreseeable future, but ultimate aim would be for a Double Cab. Given the mods I have made (and intend to make) i am loving my SW and want it as my keeper, so is a conversion relatively straightforward and cost effective when compared with buying (and modifying) a genuine version? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #412899 1st Apr 2015 8:46am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
110 SW (or USW) to DC would be easy enough, you'd need to obtain:

- DC roof
- DC rear buck
- DC cab rear panel
- Tailgate

These parts are not that easy to find and tend to be expensive (especially the roof for some reason) unless you happened to find someone who wanted to convert a DC to an SW of course.

As far as the 130 chassis cab to 130DC conversion is concerned, I have toyed with the idea of getting a 110 DC and re-chassising it onto a 130 chassis to produce a 130DC. On the assumption that if I did the work I'd want it to last, so probably be on a galvanised chassis anyway, this probably is an easier route that a 130 to 130 conversion. DVLA would need to be notified of the wheelbase change, of course, but it shouldn't cause any problems though it might need an IVA test, I think.
Post #412910 1st Apr 2015 9:32am
Grenadier

Thanks Blackwolf

Double Cabs here are rare, 110s (which I prefer) rarer still. I would aim to keep mine as I hope to 'Bowler' the engine, plus sussies etc, and would not want to go through it twice. Further, it is currently White but I would go for grey on the DC, much like McCall's, so would seem a good time to tackle both a re-spray and mod to DC. So with a long term goal, I can take my time sourcing the bits and bobs.

Cheers

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #412924 1st Apr 2015 9:59am
shaggydog

Interesting idea Grenadier Thumbs Up

Out of interest, would it be difficult to import a UK defender to France or is it ludicrously expensive and complicated? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #413101 1st Apr 2015 9:46pm
Grenadier

Hello Shaggydog,

Sorry for the late reply, never saw your post for some reason. No, importing cars is not difficult, from UK or otherwise. Literally completed my wife's mini on Friday.

You need to do the following:

Change headlights (you can do it yourself, but buy in the UK, much cheaper)
Once done, you need a 'European Certifcate of Conformity'. This would come from Land Rover France. Take to your local French LR Dealer and go through the Certificate check-list. They will advise you if the Healight swap was all that was needed or more besides. As Defenders do not have dual speedos (Km/Mph) they might require you to swap that, not sure. If nothing else, they will give you a signed checklist which will need to be sent to LR France HQ. They will (likely after accepting a small payment) send you a Certificate of Conformity.

Once you have this document, you need a Control Technique. (MOT). This has to be completed within 6mths of your application for re-registration. Similar standards to UK, takes an hour or so and costs 78€. Again, they will advise if it fails/passes. Re test is free. The CT is valid for two years.

You take both the Certificate of Conformity and the Control technique, plus your V5 and personal ID (passport or photo drivers licence), plus Bank Statement, phone bill etc, for proof of French address to which the Defender will be registered and take it all to the Department 'Prefecture', not your local Mairie. Be aware, they are sometimes only open until midday. Here, you grab the necessary form for import/re-registration and fill it in (it will be in French). The official will take the Conformity, Control Technique, V5, Application and make note of your ID/Address and process it all on the spot in about 5-10mins. You will then be required to pay for the Carte Grise (French V5) to the tune of 300-400€. You pay there and then, cheque or Card only and it is basically the only time you pay car 'tax' and it is based on the vehicles emissions. There are no annual taxes like the UK. They will give you a temporary Carte Grise (A4 printout, with full detail of the car including the new reg) that you take with you and can supply to the insurer and also your local plate maker who will knock out some plates in 5mins for 30€. The plates MUST be attached the same day. Note that French insurance is quite good value and they also accept No Claims (so get a letter from your inusurer in the UK). Mine is just 30€/pcm, fully-comp including professional liability as I use it for work. The official Carte Grise has to arrive, by registered post, to the registerd address within 9 days. My wife's arrived within 2. The Carte Grise must be presentable to any Gendarme/Police officer on request, and they do a fair number of spot checks. Expect an on the spot fine if you do not have it (or if your CT is out of date).

Of all the bureaucracy in France, this is one of the easiest I have come across. If you are thinking of doing it just to keep you pride and joy, easy to do. If you're doing it with mind to buying in the UK first, generally advised as Defenders are 30-50% more expensive here and bar twisty mountain roads, you will not have too much problem with a RHD.

Hope that helps? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #415857 12th Apr 2015 10:36pm
shaggydog

Grenadier thank you for such a very well written and informative post!

Luckily my speedo is a dual one so one less thing to change, the only thing which may be of concern is the number of modifications I have made to the vehicle as I have heard the French insurers can be very iffy when it comes to non standard vehicles. Is this the case or just British superstition Laughing ? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #416019 13th Apr 2015 8:32pm
Grenadier

You're very welcome.

To be honest I have not heard too much about mods. I wasn't asked about them, just the basic vehicle details. Also, there are a tonne of Defenders out here with various attachments and upgrades and they don't seem to have issues. I say that as in France your 'insurance docs' have a small detachable coupon that is in your windscreen for the Five-0 to look at (dated, reg'd etc). So they would be unlikely to be on the road without one. Indeed I popped to my local independent last week and discussed LED lighting. He said non of his club members or clients had a concern about local regs v upgrades/mods, they just popped them in....

I suppose, in essence, the important factor is if it passes the CT or not. If it doesn't you won't get he Carte Grise or insurance. So if they don't like it, take it off...and if they don't mind, voila!! As it happens, you're supposed to do a CT with your summer tyres on, if (like my wife's mini) it has run-flats. However, Her's has been through the CT twice with standard winter tyres (and no spare) and passed with flying colours. That might be the biggest indicator.

I would suggest finding your local LR independent and asking them where to get the CT done and who to insure through. Mine is through AXA by the way (as is all our insurance, cars, house, personal items etc), very efficient and very good price when compared with the UK. One of the few things that is. We have a local AXA broker/office, which is much more common in France than doing it on-line. Refreshingly old school personal touch. You'll probably find the same, normally referred to as a 'Cabinet' and likely in your nearest large town....

Bon chance!! Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #416081 14th Apr 2015 7:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1