↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Power wash underside... get the salt off?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Power wash underside... get the salt off?
HI all,

I've been power washing the underside of my 110 since I got it in 2009, especially in the winter months, to keep the rust at bay.

I've not done it this year as often as I would do usually, two wee kids tend to take up a lot of my time. Laughing

I do notice however that the underside remains a brownish, ''dusty'' colour - in spite of the washing. It has been waxoyled by Rustmaster in Hatfield (plus one touchup since then).

Question is - is that power washing enough? I don't have a massively powerful washer, a Nilfisk, it seems to do the job however everywhere else. Granted, I'm not hitting the underside hard enough to strip back the Waxoyl...
Post #412350 30th Mar 2015 3:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
My concern with pressure washing would be forcing water into areas it can't get out of and stripping of underseal.
I tend to use mains water pressure on a jet, any tough dirt should come off once softened for a while.

Undersealing should be topped up ever few years.
Mines seen two winters so far and is doing a great job with Dinitrol, still only needs a touch up here and there and that's it.
I tend to use it when fitting new components too.

Last edited by custom90 on 30th Mar 2015 7:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #412365 30th Mar 2015 4:36pm
Litch

England 
I have never touched my 90 with my pressure-washer, I did it to my old S111 about 30-years ago and vowed never to do it again.
I wash the underside of my vehicles with a mains pressure hose on a regular basis all through the year (obviously more during the winter) and it keeps them nice and clean. I top up the Waxoyl from time to time but in the 15-years I have had my current 90 it is still in excellent condition underneath. Too much pressure or apply it wrongly can do more damage than good.
Knowing how to clean them makes a big difference, you have to know how to get into all the nooks & crannies and sometimes only a small hand-held hose nozzle will do the job. Some people just hit what they can see with a pressure-washer and leave the build-up of muck in the corners that they can't. When I wash my 90 I take more than twice as long to do the underside than I do to wash the outside & wheels.
If the Waxoyl is just dirty then I wouldn't worry too much. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #412376 30th Mar 2015 6:01pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Litch nail on head

There's nothing wrong with pressure washing (good machines you can adjust the bar) most people place the lance way to close and that's how seals are breeched etc take time tis easy Thumbs Up and you use less water than a hose
Post #412381 30th Mar 2015 6:14pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Drive at speed through all the big puddles you can find.
Far more effective than pressure washing. 
Post #412382 30th Mar 2015 6:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Every Experience centre I have been to uses pressure washers to clean all their Land Rover models, Eastnor has a dedicated power wash area.
If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me. As long as you do not get to close power washing is fine. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #412386 30th Mar 2015 6:45pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Driving at 70 in rain on the motorway will force more water into "unwanted areas" than the average home pressure washer
Post #412401 30th Mar 2015 7:21pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I generally use a 90-degree tip for rinsing the underside of the 110, the jet comes out more like a strong fan than a powerful jet...

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #412416 30th Mar 2015 7:56pm
jollymuckshifter

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
use a garden sprinkler
Post #412427 30th Mar 2015 8:13pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
eutek wrote:
I generally use a 90-degree tip for rinsing the underside of the 110, the jet comes out more like a strong fan than a powerful jet...

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Yup I have one the same good bit of kit Thumbs Up I also give the underneath a spray with TFR before

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #412431 30th Mar 2015 8:27pm
Cuthbert

After carefully applying a coating of Waxoyl to my Defender last year - I put it into the main dealer for a service. Some dimwit with a jet-wash then attempted to 'valet' the vehicle by turning up the pressure and strip the Waxoyl off the chassis legs.

Fortunately they got bored (or it was teabreak time) and they gave up before too much damage was done.

Totally detest unskilled labour using high pressure jet washers - as previous posters have indicated - they can get water and cleaning agents into areas never intended to get drenched.
Post #412434 30th Mar 2015 8:36pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Reckon water is the worst of a few evils for me with all the crap and shi!! I drive through Shocked
Post #412438 30th Mar 2015 8:41pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
gilarion wrote:
Every Experience centre I have been to uses pressure washers to clean all their Land Rover models, Eastnor has a dedicated power wash area.
If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me. As long as you do not get to close power washing is fine.

They replace their cars every year or so and any parts that need it get changed.. Experience centres are concerned with presenting a clean car to fhe customer more than preserving it for a decade or more.

That said I think as long as you're not an idiot with it the pressure wash is fine, especially if you use the low pressure hot type and then rinse with the high pressure clean water carefully. Just watch out for rubber seals, electrical connectors, bearings etc.

Clean the dirt traps out too around the front and rear wheels- I'm always amazed how I can direct a hose at these areas for ages then feel about only to find a metric****ton of mud and stones tucked in there!
Post #412440 30th Mar 2015 8:43pm
munch90

England 
I got couple of similar things to this

eBay Item No. 321658012294

Less violent then pressure washer but bit more then hose pipe , but of course you need a compressor as well

pressure washing i think should be kept to a minimum, any mud will wash off with a hose pipe if soaked first
Post #412441 30th Mar 2015 8:44pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Laurie wrote:
Drive at speed through all the big puddles you can find.
Far more effective than pressure washing.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I do this only when SWMBO isn't in the car... She tears me a new 4r5ehole every time I do it with her in the passenger seat! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #412448 30th Mar 2015 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>