↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Another won't start post - from Thal, Switzerland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Another won't start post - from Thal, Switzerland
OK I'm not at all up on the TD5 and it's computerised systems.
I have a problem slowly getting more frequent, of not starting.
First time a couple of weeks ago, didn't start. turned over quick, excellent new battery, in old carburettor days this was too much fuel or not enough. Waited 10 mins, it started.
Again once last week, again today. This time in a car park in nowhere.
This time I had time to see that the orange engine management light was not on, nor the coil light (but the engine was warmish).
Wait 10 minutes, engine light is on and yes it started. So I guess if engine management light is not on, it will not start.
Once started it seems to be ok and has no intention of failing.
Other observation recently was that the fuel pump has been whining a bit on ignition.
Oil level is normal, no smell of diesel, ECU area under seat is clean and dry. Car is 2005, 50,000 mile, fuel pump is unknown age.

Other posts suggest the ECU system. But, I'm in Switzerland with limited tools and expensive garages.
Where to start? ( Rolling Eyes )!
Thanks all. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #412035 29th Mar 2015 4:08pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Can you hear the fuel pump working when it doesnt start?
sounds the same as I had and turned out to be the fuel pump relay under the seat, new one fitted and worked perfectly after. Very Happy
Post #412037 29th Mar 2015 4:15pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Colleague at work has had a very similar issue on his TD5 Disco. Thought it was the pump relay to start with, changed that and checked the connections but still had the starting problems you describe. He changed the fuel filter and it seemed to sort itself out temporarily.

Last week it decided to not start at all. New fuel pump fitted and all is well.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #412052 29th Mar 2015 4:44pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Had exactly that problem several times on different defenders. The usual suspects are:

The 2x yellow relays under the drivers seat
The ECU earths under the drivers seat in the bottom of the box.
The connections on the fusebox by the ECU
The harness plugs on the engine side of the bulkhead, by the clutch master on RHD vehicles.

Try them Thumbs Up
Post #412061 29th Mar 2015 4:58pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
After similar problems a few weeks ago I would be looking to the pump itself, have a look at the relays and red plug on the ECU but if you can make a temporary difference with a filter change and perhaps give the airbleed valve a clean out with some brake cleaner(found in the top of the filter housing behind the fuel pipe nearest you at the rear as you look at the filter housing from the side)
I seem to be having problems with some dirty diesel, allways bought from the forecourt never out of a can, as when I pulled the pump out last time the mesh intake on the bottom of the pump was around 75% blocked with black slime much like thick engine oil, cleaned it off and it's been perfect since.
Post #412063 29th Mar 2015 5:02pm
ppad

Thanks for all of that and for the general discussion:

Tom - no I was thinking about that - I do not recall the fuel pump noise when it does not start. So.. fuel pump relay... can a relay partially work? Why would the contacts be 'iffy'? Surely a relay works, or not? I don't know.

Bob. new fuel pump. Yup but is a kind of 'just replace stuff' option.... how does one know if the fuel pump is on the way out, and.. why will it be fine for the 100km back to Chur this evening once operational, but not want to start in the first place? What is the test for a dodgy pump?

Slim, thanks will check, but nothing has changed under the seat and the car hasn't been offroad since Salisbury plain at xmas (nice trip Smile ) - so why would earths, not earth all of a sudden?
The harness plugs is interesting ... I had a new clutch master cylinder just 3 weeks ago. So something there HAS changed .. a point to try. Thanks.

JWL - fuel filter change? and "mesh intake on the bottom of the pump" ... I have no idea of the fuel quality here, should be good (Swiss efficiency and all that) but the CooP fuel always seems to make it run rough .. thanks I'll also do this.

Ho hum.. Confused more tomorrow ... Thanks Thumbs Up Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #412189 29th Mar 2015 9:49pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Couldn't that be the immobiliser?
What have you been doing with the key and fob in all this?

I've had the farm TD5 not start after driving somewhere, turned off, turned on, "whir whir whir whir whir" in the usual friendly TD5 way but without the "brum" at the end. Tries that a few times, then locked and unlocked and it fired straight away when I turned the key next. Might be coincidence though but it's done loads of miles since with no issues.
Post #412403 30th Mar 2015 7:23pm
ppad

No, good idea but it's a basic truck cab and short on electronics - hooray.
Also it's been p..ing down for a couple of days,
Also today 31 march is my last day at work (like, for ever) so dead T3 is down the stress list.
Also it's parked 1/2 hr from the apartment (Swiss town, no parkplatz in city centre apartments).
I'll mosey down when I'm less stressed and
a) jiggle relay
b) listen for pump and c) if still not good, assume the electrics are sound but the pump is not and replace that first.
happy Easter ... Rolling Eyes Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #412688 31st Mar 2015 3:03pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Does the interior light go off immediately when you shut the door? If not, you have a 10AS.
Most TD5s do.
Post #412775 31st Mar 2015 7:56pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I had more or less the same problem and it was a little dirty (corrosion) on the connector to the AS10.
I still have another similar small problem that is that it sometimes doesn't react on the throttle pedal. The thing to do then is removing the black plug from the ECU and replug it. And it works again for months.

Good luck finding the problem. The AS10 is behind the dash somewhere. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #412793 31st Mar 2015 8:31pm
furianer

Switzerland 
PPad, is your TD5 still struggling, Thal would be about 40 min from my workshop, you could drop by anytime for a coffee and a look see what your Defenders problems is, we are working tomorrow friday and the best part of this saturday.

you can call me on 0041 79 223 61 67

cheers Richard

www.stolz-rostfrei.ch
Post #413353 2nd Apr 2015 10:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iain_S

Scotland 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
JWL wrote:
(snip)
I seem to be having problems with some dirty diesel, allways bought from the forecourt never out of a can, as when I pulled the pump out last time the mesh intake on the bottom of the pump was around 75% blocked with black slime much like thick engine oil, cleaned it off and it's been perfect since.

That sounds horribly like diesel bug, which has become a well known problem in the boating world. Should be OK, as motor vehicles have a much faster turnover of fuel than boats do, but might be a plan to dose with Marine 16 to be on the safe side.

Iain
Post #413366 2nd Apr 2015 11:35pm
ppad

Well it's stopped sleeting and snowing down here in Chur at last - there is bucketloads of fresh snow on the slopes if any of you are going for a quick trip .. Whistle

OK I've replaced the relay. Do easy things first.
And, today it started. Razz

Hi cupboard, no the light doesn't (go off immediately) so yes I must have a 10AS thingy .. it just doesn't have central locking, alarm, key fob etc etc installed / connected. More research needed.
And Richard in,, er Coomberdale Western Australia .. 40 mins away ... I go to Thal often, and that's where I got stuck. I think a cup of tea is in order, thanks for that I'll contact you. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #413371 2nd Apr 2015 11:51pm
furianer

Switzerland 
morning PPad, WA is sort of my second home, but on a day like this the swiss mountains are there place to be.

http://www.swisswebcams.ch/webcam/1040549429-Chäserrugg-Unterwasser-Toggenburg-(9657-Unterwasser)_Wetter

from Chur follow the the A13 to st gallen, get of the Autobahn in Haag, from Haag to Gams, Gams to Wildhaus, Wildhaus to Unterwasser, just at the end of town, last building, there are a bunch of defenders parked.
about a one hour drive.

Richard
Post #413384 3rd Apr 2015 6:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ppad

Richard, sent a pm .. re the phone number Ta Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Post #413428 3rd Apr 2015 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1