↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Dynamic Balancing Beads - Mach 5s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Dynamic Balancing Beads - Mach 5s
I have recently purchased a set of Mach 5s. My old set has a significant amount of weights adhered to the rim. (I don't really want to get into the throes of how competent the tyre fitter was or wasn't, he was busy and in the business to make money.)

I am considering going for a set of BFGoodrich 305/70/16 tyres.

My question is thus has anyone any experience of using dynamic balancing beads in their Defender tyres? I have done a little research but need assurance and hopefully previous experience of someone using them. As the tyres will be new I will not have to faff about with the adaptor to fit them through the valve stem and 8 ounces of beads per tyre should sort them.

Any historical or current experience most welcome. Thank you. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 24th Jun 2014 6:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #340095 23rd Jun 2014 2:38pm
munch90

England 
don't know if you seen them , there are some videos on youtube about them
Post #340097 23rd Jun 2014 2:52pm
jimbob7

They've been about for years,but have never been as popular as stick ons which kinds tells me they don't really work or have limited application,just my opinion. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #340098 23rd Jun 2014 2:54pm
K9F

Probably because stick-ons cost you nowt, beads do!

I don't really know how effective they are either, nevertheless the laws of physics state to me they may be viable. I think what I may do is run the wheels on a balancer without tyres to ensure they are straight and true as a starting block. If they're not I'll see how bad they are and centre punch them to mark them to determine the best four out of the five before the powdercoaters.

Dependant on the results I may go down the sticky weight route if required or go with the beads if all is ok. The idea of not damaging the paintwork or having to chisel off half a ton of lead at a later date, not to mention that the wheels will remain dynamically balanced as long as they are on the vehicle quite appeals to me.

***EDIT*** Looking back it appears Big Steve and appaloosadude have run with them in the past. Care to share your experiences please?

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #340106 23rd Jun 2014 3:03pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
These went through a phase in the bike world and I almost tried some in one of my 2 wheelers. After a while though, they seem to loose momentum and people didn't really think they did very much to help. They also sometimes cause a bit of an odd feeling at slow speed turns and the angle the bikes at etc.

Might be different for cars though! They are by all intense and purpose, logical!
Post #340112 23rd Jun 2014 3:22pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
quite a few run them in Challenge Scene where speeds are lower generally and they are said to help. we ran them in Croatia a few years back, i couldnt tell you if they helped or not, everything bounces alot on tracks out there!

general consensus was they worked. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #340113 23rd Jun 2014 3:26pm
munch90

England 
if you want to stop having loads of weights on the wheels

if you can find a tyre place to spend a bit of time most balancers have 3 modes for where weights can be fitted , inside edge and centre , inside and outside edge , just centre

inside and outside edge is always best

set machine on one mode check balance , then put less weight then needed where mode says put it
then set machine on another mode check balance , then add less then needed weight for that mode
then change mode again do the same
don't remove wheel from machine in between mode changes
if your lucky you can get them to balance perfect

I know this will take a while ( I have my own balancer ) but it makes a neater better job

this way you can hide some of the weight behind a spoke etc

MOST places balancing 4x4 tyres never put the full amount of weight needed as it looks horrible and it costs too much in weights ( the answer when asked why is "you don't need to add it all sir as the bigger wheel spins slower ")

also ask if they got any lead weights still as there smaller then the new zinc weight ( your not allowed to buy lead anymore but can use what you have left in stock as far as I know ) lead was banned some time ago so you will be lucky to find some
Post #340116 23rd Jun 2014 3:36pm
K9F

Thanks Munch, I was aware of traditional methods but it can be difficult finding the right person to spend a great deal of time and devotion to his trade, also that's one thing I myself don't have a lot of in the Summer, time that is.

K9F wrote:
I don't really want to get into the throes of how competent the tyre fitter was or wasn't, he was busy and in the business to make money.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 24th Jun 2014 7:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #340123 23rd Jun 2014 4:09pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I use balacing powder in my 235-85-16 bfg MT's I drove them a lot on the german highways with my Camel Discovery.
I am very happy with it. No shakes in the steering wheel not even after off-roading with dirty rims.

I tested them till 150 km/hr (in Germany Whistle and down a mountain Very Happy ) and still no shaking. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #340202 23rd Jun 2014 7:20pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
I use balance beads in my Defender with 265 BRG MT's on. The BFG tyres are a pig to balance, the balance beads work a treat. It is important to put the correct size weight bag in for the size tyre you are running though, over balancing causes problems. Take a look at this guide.

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=c...;Itemid=14

Regards,

Mark YOLO
1992 Defender 90"
1972 Lightweight 88"
Post #340233 23rd Jun 2014 8:40pm
K9F

Thanks Mark, reassuring. I assume the figure after the LTP in the chart is the weight in grammes and you buy the bag to suit your scenario? If my wheels are true I think I'll try them.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #340245 23rd Jun 2014 9:02pm
munch90

England 
if using on older tyres ( already balanced ) do you remove the weights or add less beads ?
I would guess remove and add beads

I've looked at them before few years ago , idea seems good
I did read somewhere you can get a bit of wobble until you get a bit of speed going
Post #340261 23rd Jun 2014 9:20pm
K9F

The beads are an alternative not used in combination. I think getting the wheels checked without tyres, putting on the tryres with the beads inside and then getting a check balance done before fitting will be the right thing to do, if nothing else it will increase my confidence. They are popular in the USA and there are excellent reviews. I think we are a little less receptive and more sceptical to perhaps new or untried methods. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 16th Nov 2014 4:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #340293 23rd Jun 2014 9:47pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
If you have your balancing beds or powder in the tyre, you will get a very bad reading on the balancing machine as the beads/powder are ment to move about in your tyre while driving by the accelleration and decelleration you tyre does in every rotation.
If you look at one part off your tyre profile. It has a speed off 0 km/hr when it touches the road and half a turn later it moves with twice your driving speed.
On a balancing machine it always has the same speed. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #340472 24th Jun 2014 3:43pm
K9F

Collected these today from Matt @ FCX. Lovely setup you have there Matt and thanks for your hospitality. As mentioned would consider changing your forum name to 'Back Of Beyond' single lane country roads and loads of four-legged beasts.

Click image to enlarge

Have cleaned the free mud donated with the wheels off and removed the valves. Will run them by the balancing without tyres tomorrow and I have whittled the powdercoating colour choice down to one of two. Will get one wheel done first as swatches don't really give a true indication of colour and see where I go from there. I have quite a bit of wear left in the Mach 5s and Coopers I have currently fitted so time is on my side and it may take a while as there's no rush.

Post #340485 24th Jun 2014 4:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>