Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dave's 110

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Handbrake on 110 DCPU
Hi all
Just join you all on here as been reading up on the Puma

On my 110 as it's at the main dealer for the 4th time same repair!!
Been getting a clonking noise which to start with look like the handbrake was wrongly adjusted so new drum and shoes fitted did the same thing again in 2 day started clonking noise again but dose it only when hot after about 20 to 30 miles so back to LR dealer's When check handbrake drum look the same as first one wear marks in it looking like a high spot this is with only 600 miles on clock, any way it's had to date from factory 4Drums 2 sets of shoes 2 back plates and 2 hand brake cables Know last lot they took of the own Demo 08 Defender with 400 miles on it it was fine to start with for 3 days and 120 miles in short trips on a long trip to the LR world show at weekend it did the same clonking again when slowing down to stop start to clonk at 15 to 10 mph if its sort of free wheeling.
Mileage now is 2800.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had the same thing with a Puma LR 08 and what was causing this CLONKING transmission noise as the dealer is not getting to the bottom of it and I want my 110 LR back Sad it been there from Monday morning this week!!!!
Post #2376 11th Jun 2008 7:23pm
Tony_Hillerby

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
Dave

I have the same thing with mine but I cannot say that I have heard it recently. 8000 miles on it now.
Used to hear it coasting into parking spots or coming to a halt at junctions with it in gear with clutch depressed.
Tony
Post #2384 11th Jun 2008 10:53pm
austen

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Had that problem with my TD5 after replacing a broken handbrake cable. Slackening off the adjuster (17mm bolt on the drum backing plate) helps, but it seems to be important that any free play in the cable is reduced also. This adjustment is accessed by undoing the two bolts which secure the handbrake lever.

My TDCi has not given this problem, although I thought I dectected just the very slightest judder on two occasions when slowing down to a stop.

Austen.
Post #2385 12th Jun 2008 4:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dave's 110

Hi austen
thanks for that but even if the hand brake is slacken off at the adjuster so the handbrake is not working at all it still clonking thats why LR has put all these new parts on it and its still in there workshop been in there all week Big Cry

Hi Tony
did you take yours back in at all to LR for them to sort it out or just live with it till it stopped clonking as you slow down coasting to park or to a halt this is what mine is doing with or with out in gear clutch up or down it dose it Exclamation
Post #2397 12th Jun 2008 6:53pm
Icelandy

England 1985 Defender 110 Other PU Stornoway Grey
Hi Dave, not to brag, but i also have a puma defender 110DC, but have never experienced this problem, i was asked by a mechanic who comes to my monthly meets at the cherry tree on dereham road whether i had experienced it as they were having problems with yours. Is yours the 110 with the hannibal roof rack, tubular winch bumper, blacked out rear windows etc?

Thanks

Steve If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

So get someone who knows what they are doing! Smile
Post #2401 12th Jun 2008 9:17pm
dave's 110

Hi Steve

Yes it is my 110 DC

On Devon 4x4 site was that you not asking about kiting out a DC 110 Puma, having them kit your landy out for you did you take it down there or not ?

can you test something on your 110 next time you take it out after a good few mile just stop and feel how warm your handbrake drum gets as my one you can't put your hand on it as it to hot to touch would like to know if yours is only just warm as try this out with my 90 today and after 30 miles it was only just warm.

yeah took it back in on Monday new drum went the same as all the rest rubbing in one place like if its a high spot inside the drum but as LR take so long to get back to dealer as they can't just ring LR and have a chat about it have to email them and wait till get a reply back for any help on it the mechanic did this Monday and got a reply is it adjusted right so I'm Still waiting for it to get fixed hope I have it back tomorrow for the weekend Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Dave
Post #2403 12th Jun 2008 10:50pm
dave's 110

Hi All

Just a up date on my handbrake clonking new hand brake drum number 5 and new set of shoes number 4 from new got it back Friday and so far NO more clonking from it have done 350 miles know from getting it back and running fine Razz Handbrake drum not getting hot any more too Cool

Dave
Post #2434 16th Jun 2008 7:19pm
Icelandy

Might have cracked it! Good good ! If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

Post #2437 16th Jun 2008 7:48pm
dave's 110

Yes lets hope so Steve but did cost me a tank of fuel to ride about seeing if it was Ok but Puma 110 Dc is nice to drive around in Thumbs Up Even if I'm miss my 1" lift but had to Bow down to LR on that one for time being Exclamation

Dave
Post #2438 16th Jun 2008 8:03pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Hi all, just wipped the hand brake drum of my '08 110. It has recently started making a clunk when letting the clutch out, reversing, etc. It's also making a rumble at about 100km/h when going from acceleration to deceleration. I jacked up a rear wheel and spun the handbrake drum, and it seems to bind quite badly in one spot, looks like I'll be asking for a new one....
Anyway, here's a few pics of the inside of the drum:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've adjusted the cable to the point where it no longer binds, however I'm not certain that it's out of round, (without putting it in a lathe and checking it with a DTI anyway). I could just as eaisly be the mounting faces, I would have thought that LR would have at least cleaned the mounting faces, if not machining them.

Click image to enlarge

I've got about 300kms of driving to do tomorrow, so I'll soon find out if there is any improvement. The dealery can check it out next week when it goes in to get this sorted:

Click image to enlarge

Thanks,

Tim
Post #2846 22nd Jul 2008 1:23pm
dave's 110

Tim
It took 5 new drums and 4set's of shoe's to sort my 110 out all the drum's had hight spots like your one but is working fine know and have done 1600 miles seem that LR must have had a bad batch of them made Exclamation

Cheers
Dave
Post #2856 22nd Jul 2008 6:39pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 
Icelandy wrote:
Hi Dave, not to brag, but i also have a puma defender 110DC, but have never experienced this problem, i was asked by a mechanic who comes to my monthly meets at the cherry tree on dereham road whether i had experienced it as they were having problems with yours. Is yours the 110 with the hannibal roof rack, tubular winch bumper, blacked out rear windows etc?

Thanks

Steve

Is that the Cherry tree at Yaxley by any chance ?
Post #2857 22nd Jul 2008 6:46pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Well my CSW is in the dealers for exactly this issue, they reckon it is a handbrake issue and cause by expansion due to heat build up on long runs.

Hope they can fix it in one hit!! Andy
Post #2898 23rd Jul 2008 9:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Icelandy

Nope, its the Cherry Tree in norwich.

Steve If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

Post #2914 25th Jul 2008 4:40pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Thank God!
I know I'm a bit late on this topic but I have the same problem with my 110 (2011) - the German dealer is mucking about and trying to convince me I'm mad!!!
Also, they've now adjusted the handbrake to 7-8 notches and say that it's "Standard for Land Rover" - it was 3-4 notches before. Which is right???
Many thanks to anyone who's listening,
Matt
Post #89300 15th Sep 2011 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>