↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Brakes locked on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Brakes locked on
I had an interesting problem yesterday with my Td5 110. My brake master cylinder needs a new seal kit which is on order as I have a soft brake pedal and on a trundle about yesterday up to Hay Bluff to have the kids and dog to have a run around in what snow is left I was beginning to notice that the pedal was changing. On the way back home I decided to take in a couple of greenlanes and on the way to the first I was driving metalled country lanes which still had patches of ice on them. About a mile away from the greenlane I had the impression that I wasn't running away down the steep slope and the brake pedal was rock hard, it got to the point that the brakes were allmost fully on and I had to put it into low box to pull off the road!
I couldn't see anything obvious under the bonnet, fluid level was exactly the same, there was a good pull on the vacuum pump. What I did manage to do was to stand on the brake pedal and start the motor, this started to take pressure out of the system by energising the servo, did this three or four times untill the pedal felt OK and carried on.
Back to square one within a mile! Mine has ABS/Traction Control so I pulled the ABS fuse, no different, my Nanocom has an internal fault that has stopped the main menu button from working but I did notice that if I tapped it at the same time as pushing the button I could sometimes get it to work. I managed to get to the faults and there was a fault registered on one of the wheel sensors but I did manage to do a modulator bleed sequence. After a bit more fiddling I got it back to "normal" and have had no problems since.
My feeling is that as I was driving up the twisty icy road the faulty wheel sensor was just getting enough signal to activate the modulator pump and the same was happening going downhill. All these spurious signals were making the pump work but not enough to actually use the "charge" in the braking system. When the ABS/TC is active for a constant period it can overheat and can do some very strange things. I've come across the solid brake pedal before when pushing things to the limit on a Pay and Play site when experiencing failed hill climbs where the TC has been working overtime on the loose surface. I had pressed the clutch in and taken it out of second gear before my brain registered that the brake pedal hadn't depressed. There was no braking at all just a solid brake pedal and before I could do anything gravity had taken over and we were off back down the hill a lot faster than we had gone up it still with that solid brake pedal!
Post #505686 18th Feb 2016 12:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1