↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Snowdonia greenlaning. GPS tracks wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
easydeluxe

Belgium 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
Snowdonia greenlaning. GPS tracks wanted
Hi, we are leaving for snowdonia next monday march 9.
We are shooting some multicam greenlaning video footage for a new player in the action cam market (pentax)
We will be there on 10 & 11 march and we currently plan to film on Pyg track and Miners track...

But it would be super nice if some of you could share some gps tracks in snowdonia (gpx) so we have some variation. The emphasis is on the views and the surroundings and not extreme of road!

I would be very very grateful and trade all my sahara, iceland, france & croatia tracsk in return if you please!

Hope to get some response on this as it is a last minute thing!

thx!

Geoffrey
Post #404778 5th Mar 2015 7:27pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Do you mean you are going to film the Pyg track and Miners track on foot or do you intend to take a vehicle along them? This would be both illegal and impossible on the Pyg although possible with permission on the Miners

The Pyg and Miners are not green lanes they are mountain tracks and paths. If I understand that you intend to drive them you will be prosecuted. I live in the Snowdonia National Park area and it is illegal to drive on any of Snowdon’s tracks unless you are a Mountain Rescue outfit or that you have obtained permission from the National Park beforehand that permission is rarely given. The penalties for driving Snowdon’s tracks without permission are very severe.

This is one of my videos showing both the Pyg and Miners so you can see. It would be possible to drive the Miners with permission up to where the Pyg and Miners merge.

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #404786 5th Mar 2015 7:41pm
easydeluxe

ah ok...thanks for the warning...we found pictures with cars on them. So we wrongly assumed it was ok.

We will not do anything illegal.

We are staying in

Elen's Castle Hotel and Restaurant
Dolwyddelan
Betws-y-Coed
Conwy LL25 0EJ (oftewel Gwynedd LL25 0EJ)

Anything worthwhile within reasonable distance from here?

thank you!
Post #404791 5th Mar 2015 7:50pm
gilarion

Betws-y-Coed is a lovely village and I am sure you will enjoy your stay there. I would suggest that you contact

Landcraft Off Road Driving
Address: 23 High Street, Bala, Gwynedd LL23 7LU
Phone:01678 520820

http://bala4x4.co.uk/info.html

Bala is not that far from Betws-y-Coed

Alternatively you could try these grid references which at the time of writing are permissible
SH 736 555
Sh 718 522
Sh 809 542
Sh 816 561
Sh 865 594
Sh 890 556
Sh 885 531
Sh 866 542
Sh 838 487
Sh 812 491
Sh 940 528
Sh 904 459

However do be warned that most tracks in the Snowdonia National park comes under Protected landscapes and the National Park agencies take a dim view of 4x4s damaging their tracks. Just recently Land Rover themselves have come under fire for a photo shoot on Moel Eilio and the Park authority is forcing Land Rover to pay for the damage they did during the drive up the track even though this was on private land.
Look here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-30061717 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #404798 5th Mar 2015 8:12pm
gilarion

Just a suggestion but while staying at Betws-y-Coed I would recommend a drive through the forest to lovely lake Llyn Geirionydd it is only about a ten minute drive from the village and takes you through a dense forest on a metalled road, there is ample scenery for a video shoot and it would be totally non damaging for a vehicle look for the sign post at the cross roads on the B1506 Llyn Geirionydd and Llanrhychwyn and you will see where the road begins there is ample scenery for a video shoot and it would be totally non damaging for a vehicle. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Last edited by gilarion on 5th Mar 2015 9:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #404807 5th Mar 2015 9:01pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
If you want a truly exceptional video opportunity then you have on right on your doorstep where you're staying! There is a greenlane that goes right by Dolwyddelan Castle. If you go from West to East the views are spectacular

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The greenlane follows the blue line and is best followed in the direction of the red line with the arrows

Click image to enlarge
Post #404817 5th Mar 2015 9:27pm
easydeluxe

that is super information thank you!!!!
Post #404830 5th Mar 2015 9:39pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
gilarion wrote:
the Park authority is forcing Land Rover to pay for the damage they did during the drive up the track even though this was on private land.

How are they doing that? The landowner apparently doesn't want the track re-instating and the authority has been quoted as being powerless?
Post #404973 6th Mar 2015 12:48pm
gilarion

Perhaps I used the word ‘force’ incorrectly and should have read demanding.

I believe that because of the furore in the local area, press and TV news coverage caused by Land Rovers shoot and the bad publicity they received with their aggression towards two women who were walking on the track, where, a member of the production team threatened them into deleting images off their camera. This was despite the women declaring that they were in a free Wales and that he had no right to hassle them in this way, and the possible outcome of Jaguar Land Rover not getting permission from all the Land owners concerned. Plus Land Rover informed the National Park Authority a few weeks in advance, of their intention to film in Snowdonia but said they would film at the beginning of the Miners Track on Snowdon which is hard surfaced. However, they ignored all respected advice given by the Park Authority and without any apparent social or environmental responsibility, preceded to film off-road vehicles on a sensitive Snowdonia mountain Moel Eilio.

Land Rover left after the shoot an irrefutable mess; 4x4 tracks running up the mountain’s grassy slopes and wheel ruts scoured into the wet ground, A statement given by the National Park to Land Rover reads ‘The choice of Moel Eilio as a venue to promote off-road vehicles appears as both arrogant and inconsiderate. An important and iconic British brand like Land Rover would be expected to receive better advice from their advertising agency. It also seems like the current system for environmental protection in Wales may now be broken.’

This I feel will result in the re drawing of protection which will have a knock on effect for all 4x4 owners eventually in the Snowdonia National Park.

Land Rover has also received letters from various agencies and environmental groups representing the Snowdonia National Park putting pressure on Jaguar Land Rover to put right the damage caused. Consequently Land Rover as a good will gesture, even though they say they had done nothing illegal, has agreed to make amends.

As you will no doubt be able to tell I am passionate about the area I live in and I know that most people will see the damage as slight compared to some off road erosion, but Moel Eilio has a sensitive eco structure and any damage done can have consequences, though this damage will eventually heal by itself it should not really have been done in the first place.

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #404983 6th Mar 2015 1:49pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
The forest drive to lake Llyn Geirionydd sounds great. I've looked at the OS map but it doesn't show a forest drive. Does it start near Llanrhychwyn or Trefriw? Would you have a GR that I could use to pin-point it?

Merlin
Post #405354 7th Mar 2015 6:43pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
They look like typical mettalled council roads on my 1:25K OS map so you can pick whatever route and know that you are perfectly legal ending up at SH761 603.
Post #405358 7th Mar 2015 6:57pm
gilarion

You can not miss it, whether driving along the B1506 from out of Betws-y-Coed or coming from Conwy (Conway) direction. It is about five miles from Betws-y-Coed along the B1506 there is a crossroad with a impressive large cottage at its junction located in a large field, at that junction making up one of the crossroads is a gravel road that turns and climbs sharply, that is the forest road. The forest in mainly coniferous but there are some oaks and limes as well. The road eventually winds its way to a lake where there is free parking and picnic benches and some good forest walks. When my children were little we used to go canoeing and fishing on that lake and they loved it. The beauty of the place is that it is not that well known so it is usually relatively people free. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #405361 7th Mar 2015 7:07pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Thanks, I though it was one of those forest drives where you use the forest tracks rather than public roads. I'll certainly use it when I'm in Wales.

Merlin
Post #405377 7th Mar 2015 8:05pm
gilarion

The forest roads are not wide public roads, they are single track roads with a few passing places, the forest is dense and dark in places and the road is full of potholes and are rarely repaired. Th elake is quite high up so the views from the top on a clear day are good. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #405596 8th Mar 2015 2:09pm
gilarion

Here is what I would consider one of the best metaled tracks in wales totally non vehicle damaging, but narrow and winding and high enough to give you that adrenalin rush, it starts at Llanberis which is a short drive from Betwy along the A4086 turn off at the T junction still travelling along the A4086 along the Llanberis pass which is breath-taking and is one of the best mountain pass roads in the UK when you get into Llanbersis village turn on to the High street where all the mountain climbing and outdoor pursuit shops are and continue along the street until you come to Goodman Street its opposite Pete’s Eats one of the best café’s in Wales who serve up man size portions for mountain walkers. Once on Goodman Street just continue along the road which becomes Ffordd Glegir this road takes you high up with views of the Lynn Padarn below, the road eventually drops into the village of Llanrug where you can either turn round and go back the way you came or take the A4086 back into Llanberis . I promise you if you take this mountain road track you will not be disappointed it is one of my most favourite places and is little known about.

Click image to enlarge

A short drive from Llanberis along a winding pass road is Beddgelert where I live it is very pretty village with a lot of photo opportunities.
Below is some of the scenery in the above areas.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #405629 8th Mar 2015 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>