↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any builders or damp experts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Thanks again for all the replies, great response, a big thank you.

Joe the Plumber - i get what you're saying, having read the post I'll be very careful, cheers.

Landy Andy, JWL, Alwoody, Leeds, Jay Boy and Defender4, thanks again for taking the time to reply, looking at the pictures and having a second look, you are right, there is no guttering on the short section of roof, I guess this would be easily sorted, the downpipe seems to be clear and working, all of the rain water from the rear of the house is taken away via a drain that runs down the field at the back, which is also part of the property, then into a stream at the bottom, it looks like the water is seeping through the concrete which is next to the wall, it's cracked, maybe it would be fairly easy to dig a channel of say 6 inches around the corner (where the arrow is) allowing the wall to breathe, and then putting a gully drain near it, at the bottom of the slope, into the drain where the downpipe goes - if that makes sense.
The owner has been there over 20 years and he says it's never got worse or better, but he's just lived with it rather than trying to cure it, I'd rather cure it tbh. He's just not that sort of person.
I'be been recommended a local guy who charges £50 for a look and advice, which sounds cheap to me, I'll let you know how it goes.

It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people on here are - thank you.
Post #404059 3rd Mar 2015 12:18pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
You could cut away the paving next to the house and create a trentch about 6" wide then fill that with shingle to allow drainage without holding moisture. To asses the problem properly I would suggest an inspection whilst it's pizzing down with rain. That way you get to see all systems when they should be working.

What part of the country is this in?
Doesn't look local to me.

Andy
Post #404098 3rd Mar 2015 2:42pm
Lambley

^^^ sounds like a plan.

It's on the outskirts of Bodmin moor, Cornwall.
Post #404123 3rd Mar 2015 4:38pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have a very similar stone property that had damp issues and I did fifteen years ago what has been suggested by digging a trench , well I said I did, in truth a builder did it. He dug a trench 10inches deep by 12inches and filled it with pea gravel all along the back of the property then covered it with a fixed open mesh grill, he also laid two lines of paving stones on a concrete bed all around the property. Within about six months all the damp patches had gone and I have not had any problems since. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #404125 3rd Mar 2015 4:47pm
Lambley

Thanks again for the replies, it sounds like it can be sorted one way or another, I'll take a local guy round and see what he thinks. At least that way I'll have a more educated guess at what it'll cost to put right.
Cheers
Paul
Post #404286 3rd Mar 2015 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12