↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TD5 Accelerator pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
6 pot

United Kingdom 
TD5 Accelerator pedal
Are all accelerator pedals the same ? IE can I use a TD5 or TDCI pedal instead of the pedal that came with the LS3 kit ? I know the plug will not be the same. The GM pedal is HUGE and will take some mucking about to make it fit but the TD5 or TDCI one will fit very nicely.

Thanks
Post #403534 1st Mar 2015 11:53pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
No, they are not the same... there are two different types on a TD5 for starters !

Having said that you may be able to use one of the TD5 pedals with a bit of playing around, you need to figure out what the configuration of the LS3 one is. The later TD5 pedal has 3 tracks, the earlier one has 2. In most cases the throttle pedals have one track going each way so as the throttle increases one of the tracks gives a lower voltage (higher resistance) and the other gives a higher voltage (lower resistance). That way a fault can be easily identified as one track giving a bad reading will show as a mismatch.

There is a good chance that the LS3 pedal will use 5volts as does the TD5 so the overall resistance of the tracks should be similar.

Normally one end of the track is connected to the 5v supply from the ECU, the other end to earth. The output then moves between the two depending on throttle position. The LS3 probably uses something very similar. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #403543 2nd Mar 2015 1:02am
6 pot

United Kingdom 
Thanks davew ..........But!!!!!!!!

I have been going round and round on google trying to find the answer to this question and have just found my own thread. My understanding of electronics is not enough to sort this out thats why I got the electronics kit with the engine. could anyone recommend anyone I should talk to ?

Cheers Rob
Post #404867 6th Mar 2015 12:34am
hamer001

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alaska White
Smile
Post #404871 6th Mar 2015 1:19am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
6 pot wrote:
Thanks davew ..........But!!!!!!!!

I have been going round and round on google trying to find the answer to this question and have just found my own thread. My understanding of electronics is not enough to sort this out thats why I got the electronics kit with the engine. could anyone recommend anyone I should talk to ?

Cheers Rob

Where are you ?

Are the electronics standard GM issue or are they an after market solution ?

My LSx has a mechanical throttle so I haven't got anything to compare the TD5 throttle (which I do have here) with. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #404877 6th Mar 2015 2:16am
6 pot

United Kingdom 
This is the ECU / wiring harness

http://www.partsworldperformance.com/ls376-525-ecu-controller-kit

The throttle peddle is on the left of the picture and is a lot bigger than any defender peddle which is why I would like to use a TD5/TDCI peddle I know what I am doing is not remotely factory but I want it to look as good as it can. The kit needs one wire to the battery and one wire to the ignition switch this I can cope with This is my first foray into the world of modified Land Rovers. I have always been known as a rivet counter when it comes to Land Rovers so I have had the parts book to fall back on but not now. Any help given will be gratefully received and returned if you have any rivet counting questions.

Cheers Rob

PS I am in Leicester
Post #404880 6th Mar 2015 3:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1