Home > Technical > TD5 Crank Pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TD5 Crank Pressure
Hi All ...

Been having a few gaskety issues lately. Front Cam seal blew out, now the rocker cover half moon has gone again (3rd or 4th gasket in 15 months).

I run an Allard Oil Catch can and filter, then directed to the normal PCV valve.

I get a constant mist through the outlet for the PCV, or if I take the filler cap off, I also get a mist.

There's enough pressure to 'pop' the filler cap off if I unscrew very slowely! I put a vent to atmosphere filter on the rocker cover outlet and went for a short run, got back and whilst there was no visible drip, there was plenty of mist!

I did a compression test on all 5 cylinders before the refurb injectors and VNT went on and all seemed reasonably ok, but I've had this concern for a while.

Are there any TD5 crankcase pressure figures if I made up a pressure gauge?
Post #400830 21st Feb 2015 3:28pm
taazzukcb

Also to note, the PCV is new. I have no rising oil level to signify injector seals. Just seals popping and my general concern. Just worried if the pressure is in the sump to, I might start popping crank seals.

Also to add, it's had a recent, VNT, IC and strong Map.
Post #400831 21st Feb 2015 3:32pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
No luck? Crying or Very sad
Post #401301 22nd Feb 2015 11:26pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
You can measure crankcase pressure but don't blank the hole off, maybe make a 'T' directly after the cam cover exit this should give you an indication of maximum pressure whilst under driving conditions. Maximum load should do it.

Blowby should be measured as a flow rate to determine engine condition, eg; Litres/min plenty of info. on the web how to measure this.

Could your catch can have introduced a restriction creating higher than normal pressures in the engine?

Diesel engines do have higher blowby than petrol and undoubtedly this has increased with the extra tuning you have done. 
Post #401993 25th Feb 2015 2:00pm
taazzukcb

Fully understand about not blocking it. That would result in major works! I have a couple of various 'T' sections I've used for testing various things so should be able to make something up.

The catch can isn't causing any issues as the same pressure is there with the catch can off and just the cover flowing straight out to atmosphere. Out of the catch can, it goes to the normal (new) PCV, and the pressure coming through the PCV is the same/similar as before the can (and Turbo as they went on together).

Also fully understand that diesels are heavy breathers (this is just more than expected, though I haven't 'felt' another TD5 to gauge the difference). With regards to the tuning, I dont think that would have caused any extra pressure whilst sitting at idle. Could possibly understand it at load however, but not a major difference.
Post #402014 25th Feb 2015 2:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1