Home > Events > Donnington 4x4 show
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
martinfiattech

England 
Donnington 4x4 show
So did anyone go ?

The last show I went to was billing maybe 10 years or so ago, life, kid`s etc.
I went along with the Loughborough lrc, nice bunch of lads. We all met at a layby at sill o`clock on sunday morning.
So off went 8 or 9 land rovers, funny the looks you get when a convoy of the same vehicles go past Laughing

Anyway back to the plot
On the whole I was some what disappointed with what was on offer, it seemed to be either lots of checker plate or masses of led light`s flashing away. or really expensive aftermarket add on`s .
Okay there were the tool stores most of which looked ok and there were a few good bits on offer. I picked up a few bit`s, with the rasied eye brow form the other half.

It seemed their was no middle ground. I was after some sound proofing, a bit of paint, and some waxoil. But these stalls seemed to be missing. Which is a shame, I did get to look at some steering guards which look a bit pricey £130 for one bit of ally plate and two angle ends. I took some pictures and I`am fabricating one in the garage.

I suppose the internet and one line shopping has changed the way things are. I miss a good root thru a pile junk to find a hidden gem or the part I did`ent even know I needed till I stumbled on it. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #399561 17th Feb 2015 10:18am
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Yup..I went.

Not sure £10 was good value really?
Couldn't find anything reasonably priced to recover my £10!!
Nothing much to see or learn..just traders selling...expensive traders like TMD and Flatdog.

I agree certain bits were missing..No Trim, No Paint, no carpet,

The next "Donnington" show in April appears better supported.
And tickets are free after 12pm.

Guess that might be worth a look

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #399601 17th Feb 2015 12:00pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
FCX exhibited on the first year, 2013, and also 2014 but to be honest didn't feel that it suited us as the show isn't Land Rover specific and just general 4x4, there were a lot of visitors who had Suzukis, Toyotas etc and we don't sell anything that suited them so we gave it a miss this year.

We will however be at the Great British Land Rover Show being held at Donnington on Sunday 26th April 2015 and have the stand right in front of the main door Cool

http://greatbritishlrshow.com/
Post #399626 17th Feb 2015 2:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Always enjoy this show as it's the first of the season, so good to see old faces along with new. The Display Vehicle Area on the tarmac opposite the main doors was a good idea, this I'd say needs to be developed still further to make it more of a 'day out'.

£10 Clemmo ... everything indoors costs that much these days! IMHO Donington 4x4 show is reasonably priced. Outdoor LR shows now cost £15 (and they don't have to pay for heating), and count yourself lucky you're not into the bushcraft scene, admission at those can set you back £25 per adult!!!

Venues like Donington are not cheap to hire, it's high time folk recognised that fact. As for companies, those 'in the know' avoid free entry shows like the plague. A trader once told me that he attended the Sheffield Town Show. Sure enough 500,000 attended as advertised, only he never even covered the cost of his pitch ... which was cheap BTW. The reason? The place was full of tyre-kickers from the local estates, most of which either wanted free stickers, pens, posters, food samples or whatever else they could legally (or illegally) lay their sticky mits on.

Yes we all like a freebie now and again, but you also reap what you sow. Donington 4x4 show has quality traders and subsequently they attract quality buyers, long may it continue! Thumbs Up
Post #408104 16th Mar 2015 4:52pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Same.
Post #408117 16th Mar 2015 5:17pm
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Clearly we don't agree all the time GREENI, but on this subject we appear to be singing off the same hymn sheet. Mind you, you haven't heard me sing! Confused
Post #408138 16th Mar 2015 5:57pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Bit of a thread revival here.

This years show falls on valentines day.....

Am interested in going because I'd like a good look at a variety of roof tents and also some new front seats (would like to sit in some corbeaus).

Can anyone advise whether this is worth a 2 hour each way trip to see or do you reckon its not worth it? Ive not been before.
Post #495023 22nd Jan 2016 8:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Two hours each way - depends how you value your time and fuel money...it's a relatively small single hall set up and unless you are keen to buy and you know the items will be there then, personally, I'd either spend the time visiting someone who sells the item or wait until the spring and the outdoor show season.
Post #495112 22nd Jan 2016 12:16pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
I'm planning on going this year

It's my valentines day treat for the wife
Post #495148 22nd Jan 2016 1:33pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Quote:
===============
Subject: My reply to your post about Donington 4x4 Show

Interesting! I replied with a lengthy answer, but for some strange reason it did not appear. Just as well I save all my posts in a Word file!

Could therefore you post the following on my behalf as the info contained therein could well be of benefit to others? It also took time to research, so it would be a waste if it wasn't read by 'the world'!!!  Wink

Cheers,

Tom Mc

In you were local then maybe, but as you're a distance away ... probably not.

As I said previously, it's a great show but not very good for what you want. Can't think of anybody that sells seats, plus roof tent-wise, there will be a couple, but for those you really need an outdoor show like Billing Land Rover Fest in Northampton or LRO Show Peterborough where companies can show off their entire range. The best however would be the Adventure Overland Show in Stratford-upon-Avon, as it's nearest to you plus any company worth their salt in the overland world will attend to promote their products. Here you'll see all the roof tent suppliers in one place. Problem is Billing is July, LRO Show is middle of September, Adventure Overland Show last weekend in Sept, so you'll probably want a roof tent before then.

Depends how deep your pockets are for seats and roof tents.

Roof tents:-

www.tuff-trek.com will be the cheapest and probably nearest in East Sussex - real enthusiasts!
www.trekoverland.com more money, but they sell quality products (Howling Moon), light years away in Yorkshire - nice people too.
www.boab.biz - Autohome roof tents (quality and different style to Howling Moon/Eezi-Awn/Hannibal) in Gloucestershire. Again, very good people to deal with.

Seats:-

www.sams-trim-and-spares.co.uk - a small company with a terrible website, all you can see is a little photo of some orange & black seats top of the home page. Excellent value though, best around. She's based in Birmingham and her background is motor upholstery - so you just know she's going to be good!!

See http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...MMENDATION for a couple of better photos.

www.exmoortrim.co.uk - a large commercial company, their products are very good but more expensive, plus they won't have the bespoke feel of Sam, as she can make your seats exactly as you want them ... all for less money than 99% of the other seat companies out there!

There are loads more companies where you can purchase roof tents and seats, but not every company is as reliable, nice to deal with, etc. Each company mentioned here however are very good (in my opinion of course), but I've been around the 4x4 scene as a motoring journalist & commercial & an out 'n' out enthusiast for some 40+ years now, so tend to know a few folk in the trade.

GOOD LUCK MATT!
===============

Big thanks to Tom mc for the amazingly detailed reply. Have reposted his pm here at his request as he was struggling to post on the page for some reason.

Thanks Tom. Would really like a look at TuffTrek, after the review one of their tents got on this forum they're really high up my list. Thing I'd love to be able to do is compare them directly to their competitors, Ive read plenty on "imitation ripstop" and how some is real and some isn't.... I think till you go run yours finger down the seams and take a look in the flesh its hard to judge.

Reference the seats, great suggestion for Sam's, thank you I'd not heard of them. Will give them a call. At present we would like some corbeaus, just in a simple alcantara trim. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks again.
Post #495175 22nd Jan 2016 3:14pm
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
No problem ... here to help as they say! Did the same for others asking about the Smuggler's Route into Andorra. It's how us Land Rover/4x4 enthusiasts survive against the 'antis' out there, and there are a lot more of them!

Anytime mate!
Post #495188 22nd Jan 2016 3:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Donington show is fast approaching. If you know that you wish to purchase a large/heavy item, please contact your preferred supplier at least a week before the show so it gets them time to ensure that they have packed some. It is a guessing game what to take/leave behind and quantities for less then 6 hours trading.

Roof tents and seats? There will not be a big selection at Donington as it is an indoor show in a small hall. To see a wide selection of roof tents and seats in one show then it will have to be the Bad Kissingen show in Germany in May. The Germans certainly know how to organise a show and some of the U.K. show organisers could learn a thing or two from them!

We carry a selection of Autohome roof tents in stock and can also supply the German made Roof Lodge roof tents. We can also supply the Scheelmann seats and we have some fitted in our white 90 which will be on display at Donington.

Is Donington the show for YOU to attend? Have a good look at the list of exhibitors and look at their websites to decide if items you are interested in will be there. Talk to the exhibitors about your requirements prior to the show if need be. If you want to talk to a particular exhibitor you have to be there either first thing or at the backend of the day when it quieten off. Middle of the day can be a bit manic so it may prove difficult to speak to a particular exhibitor.

Shows are hard work for the exhibitors and a lot of effort before and after the shows is required in making displays, packing things up etc which is on top of the normal work. As a company we do not attend all shows in the UK, we do a cost/benefit type of decision making. What is TOTAL cost of the show, date of the show, does it clash with anything else? How well organised is the show, how well advertised is the show, how many potential customers will it attract? Etc etc.

Brendan
Post #495764 24th Jan 2016 11:39am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
So anyone going this year? Will be the first show I've been to and as soon as the weather picks up, I'll be too busy on the farm to get away at the weekend for many of the later ones. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #601797 14th Feb 2017 3:38pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Me. Thumbs Up
Post #601834 14th Feb 2017 7:15pm
bigdave

United Kingdom 
Im working there.

Helping a customer out on his stand.

I will be on the XS 4x4 stand if you want to say Hi.

Cheers.

Dave
Thumbs Up Shipping is my thing.
If we cant shift it, to anywhere, it cant be shifted!! md.couriers@virgin.net
Post #601848 14th Feb 2017 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>