↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > 2.2 TDCI Recall for oil pump failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Morepower

New Zealand 
2.2 TDCI Recall for oil pump failure
Hi I have a 2013 2.2 Euro 5 110. Can you please clarify the situation on the FORD recall for the 2.2 Euro 5 oil pump... Our 110 is fitted with the same engine and although the truck is still under warranty, I'm concerned for the long term reliability of our engine.... I am hoping to keep the 110 for some time (or until LR make another Defender), I've also ordered a new 90XS HT for delivery at the end of production, Will this be fitted with the new type oil pump?....

Thanks in advance

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)

Last edited by Morepower on 16th Feb 2015 10:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #398927 15th Feb 2015 4:15am
munch90

England 
as far as I was told , there isn't a ford recall , they just do it under warrentry if you get a problem

we deal with a lot of transit owners and not heard of any of them getting recall notices

guessing if lr do a recall then ford will be billed for the work ( not sure that will happen )

as said only what I was told , so don't know 100%
Post #398947 15th Feb 2015 8:36am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Copied this from a Ford Forum....

Not widely known but if you have a 2.2ford euro 5 engine in your mk7 transit or custom transit, also fitted to peugeot boxer and citroen relay and in landrover(not just defender as its fitted to freelander in certain countrys and evoque)

Model/Variant Assembly Plant Affected Build Periods (inclusive dates)

Transit -- Kocaeli from 1/10/2011 to 4/10/2013
3S549 - Transit Puma Oil Pump

Affected vehicles will be identified on OASIS. This Service Program is limited to only those vehicles that have been identified as high mileage usage / or with specific drive cycle conditions, within the build range shown below.
So if yours has recently blown up and its has service hostory you might be in with a chance of getting a new engine from ford or if you already paid the cost you might also get something back but only if a main dealer has fitted the new engine..
for those already with a euro 5 make sure its serviced on time and maybe do a mini service in between and this isnt just a minor job either or something which slowly goes it just all of a happens goes, any knocks or rattles from the engine get it looked at now more than next week.. It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #399205 16th Feb 2015 3:23am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
As munch says, it's not an actual recall, just an 'If it happens' service bulletin.

We've had about 30 or so Transits done [Full engine replacement] under warranty following pump failure, But strangly no other makes using the same engine have suffered - work that one out Rolling Eyes Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #399362 16th Feb 2015 4:33pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Tim,

Please be assured that not only do we provide a comprehensive manufacturers warranty on all of our vehicles from new, we also will continue to provide support should a manufacturing defect be identified on any of our vehicles.

At this time there is no recall action in relation to this specific concern, however should a recall be applicable for any Land Rover product, affected owners will be contacted and appropriate action will be taken.

Should you have any concerns or wish to check for any outstanding service or recall actions applicable to your specific vehicle, I would advise visiting your local Land Rover retailer at your convenience who will be able to provide further assistance.

Many thanks,
Pete
Post #404409 4th Mar 2015 11:55am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Hi Ryan, FYI... This is the Ford service recall for the 2.2 TDCI... My Unit was probably built at the same time at the same Engine plant... Can you advise what action LR will be taking on this matter...

Kind Regards

Tim

I had a Service action pass over my desk this morning regarding the recall of Transit 2.2 with engines built between Sept 2011 and 31st December 2012. This is regarding oil pump failure resulting in reduced oil pressure and consequential engine damage if the oil pressure light illuminates. The Ford number for this is 4S616. There is a revised oil pump required to remedy this fault. If it's of interest i'll try and scan a copy and put it up here. 15 months is a fair few engines i'd say. It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #408593 18th Mar 2015 5:46am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Link to reference to the Ford Service action 4S616 for oil pump failure

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic35821.html
Post #408604 18th Mar 2015 8:26am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Tim,

The response remains as previously advised on the 4th March.

Should any concerns arise specific to any Land Rover vehicles that require a recall action, potentially affected owners will be notified. If a concern is experienced by an owner, I would advise visiting your local Land Rover approved retailer to allow them to investigate further.

Many thanks,
Pete
Post #408607 18th Mar 2015 8:33am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Thanks Ryan, Can you clarify LR's position on this issue once the vehicle is out of warranty?... just if the fault is now a recognised issue with this engine type (I.E Ford who manufactures the engine has done a recall for a fault) Where does that leave us in the future...
Also on a safety note, If this fault causes MAJOR engine failure, I'd hate to think what could happen if it did fail on a Motorway....

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #408620 18th Mar 2015 9:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I imagine that the position is exactly the same as it is for the well-known 2.4 piston cooling jet hysteresis problem...

In essence, you're are largely on you own out of warranty, although LR may without prejudice contribute to the repair if a strong case can be made.

Last edited by blackwolf on 19th Mar 2015 4:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #408631 18th Mar 2015 10:54am
Jukathy

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Ryan@LandRover wrote:
Hi Tim,

The response remains as previously advised on the 4th March.

Should any concerns arise specific to any Land Rover vehicles that require a recall action, potentially affected owners will be notified. If a concern is experienced by an owner, I would advise visiting your local Land Rover approved retailer to allow them to investigate further.

Many thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete

Could you possibly explain the term: "specific drive cycle conditions" with respect to the Ford service program 3S549. Since I'm only German I'm not so firm with the meaning of English words, i.e. the exact meaning. I'd appreciate an explanation in a more general sense (related to cars from different manufacturers) as well as in the definite sense related to the specific drive cycle conditions of a 4x4 Land Rover Defender MY 2012.
Many thanks in advance!

Julia

Ford Service Program 3S549

Model/Variant Assembly Plant Affected Build Periods (inclusive dates)

Transit -- Kocaeli from 1/10/2011 to 4/10/2013
3S549 - Transit Puma Oil Pump

Affected vehicles will be identified on OASIS. This Service Program is limited to only those vehicles that have been identified as high mileage usage / or with specific drive cycle conditions, within the build range shown below.
Post #408815 18th Mar 2015 8:17pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Julia, That was an earlier service bulletin issued by Ford. Ford have now issued a Recall (4S616) for all 2.2 Engines built between September 2011 and December 2012...
It seems to me that there is a major issue with the oil pump on the 2.2.

Regards

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #408880 19th Mar 2015 2:10am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Julia,

As Morepower has advise above, this was issued by Ford and not by Land Rover, therefore I would be unable to provide any clarification on this.

In regards to any concerns experienced on Land Rover vehicles outside of warranty, I would request that these are investigated by your local Land Rover approved retailer to establish the cause of the concern. Until such time that this has been completed and the full individual circumstances have been identified, I would be unable to comment on what level of support could be provided.

Land Rover however will look at any concerns identified at Land Rover approved retailers and look to assist where possible. Should anyone have any specific concern with their vehicle that has been diagnosed, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by PM with further details.

Many thanks,
Pete
Post #409014 19th Mar 2015 3:45pm
Jukathy

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi Pete

Thank you for your response.

Since Ford are reacting on the oil pump failures in all of their TDCI 2.2 engines (MY 2012) the situation feels a bit uncomfortable for me.
Typically I do not persist on the revision of small faulty components - if functional - but, in this case, I am going to risk a huge damage which will be a big loss for both sides - LAND ROVER and me.

The new recall 4S616 says Ford are providing a revised oil pump. They acknowledge that risk.
FORD TDCI 2.2 / LAND ROVER DEFENDER TDCI 2.2 engines and oil pumps are essentially identical.

While oil pump failures are increasing, FORD are taking this issue more and more serious.
I must therefore admit that FORD are providing good customer care.
Are LAND ROVER planning to provide an identical support for an identical engine and oil pump in near future?

Best regards

Julia
Post #409430 20th Mar 2015 11:32pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Hi Pete, Since what you are appearing to say is that Land Rover are going to do nothing in the hope that most of the vehicles will not fail, My question is this, If I get a revised oil pump fitted by my Land Rover main dealer at MY cost and then in near the future Land Rover do recall the vehicles . Will Land Rover refund my costs?

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #409440 21st Mar 2015 1:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>