↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Spot lamp wire querie?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rudski

Spot lamp wire querie?
I have just spent the best part of a day getting all the wiring as per landrover instructions ready for connection.

Got to admit cutting the wire behind the dash was freaking me out a bit, and what a ball ache trying to get both wires back into a crimp connector Rolling Eyes

Anyway. I don't want to use the switch supplied just want them on with main beam so I haven't wired the switch in, the problem I seem to have is the bloody spots aren't coming on with main beam, do I have to wire the on/off switch in Question

If i do I'm not sure where to put it cause all the switch places are taken up already,

Any help with this before I have to re assemble everything will be much appreciated Bow down
Post #397223 9th Feb 2015 12:02pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Sounds to me you cut the wrong wire or hooked it up wrong! What colour was the wire you cut? What kit have you bought? Does it have a relay and if not why not? Even with an XS there is a single place available for an OEM switch.

A few more details would be good to give you the information you seek.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #397233 9th Feb 2015 12:39pm
munch90

England 
if your using a wiring kit that comes with a switch and wiring ready to connect to the switch , but not using the switch then guessing you would need to mod the loom kit to use without the switch
Post #397235 9th Feb 2015 12:42pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Best place is to tap-in under the bonnet - you have more room to work. See here (copied from "The Boy"):

See full thread here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11570.html

This is what I did (even tho I was using the standard LR loom) - there's plenty of room to work, and it's easier to find the correct wire...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #397239 9th Feb 2015 12:46pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Forgot - standard LR instructions in my gallery here https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...ctions.pdf

BTW do you need the driving/spot lights switched for the MOT? I would assume a switch is needed? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #397241 9th Feb 2015 12:48pm
Rudski

Thanks guys

Cut the orange/blue as per land rover installation guide,

The kit is genuine land rover with relay, I did some reading about this and people seem to have left the switch out,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It does seem strange to leave the 2 wires for the switch not connected, that might be the problem but as I'm useless at electrics trying to solve this is making my head hurt Big Cry

Sorry for the upside down photos as you can see no room for anymore switches Thumbs Up
Post #397249 9th Feb 2015 1:04pm
K9F

Easiest solution is to follow the instructions to the letter if you don't have the knowledge to 'electrically modify it' irrespective of whether you want the switch or not at least you'll have a set of functional spotlights. Alternatively join the two disconnected switch wires together as I suspect this is either the relay coil feed or the earth to the relay and they'll never work without that supply or earth return as the relay will never pull in.

Shown as 'optional switch' in this diagram.....

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 9th Feb 2015 1:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #397260 9th Feb 2015 1:26pm
Rudski

Ok joined the two spare switch wires together and yippee they come on and off when switched Very Happy

Unfortunately the relay buzzes like a deranged bumble bee, swapped it for another, exactly the same Big Cry

I would go down the route to wire it to the letter but can't put the switch anywhere.

Any ideas why it would make that noise Question
Post #397270 9th Feb 2015 1:49pm
K9F

Chattering relay usually means one of the following.....

Dodgy contact in either the relay base, along the 85/86 contact path of the relay including fuseholder, bad earth or bad connection where you have joined the two wires together. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #397275 9th Feb 2015 1:55pm
Rudski

When I play with the wire going into the base of the relay I can get it to stop, but only if I keep hold of it. I've tried adjusting how tight the spades are underneath but this hasn't made any difference.

All other connections are tight, it's got to be this relay base, I think I just need to work out how to keep the relay in one place,
Twisted Evil
Post #397294 9th Feb 2015 2:36pm
Rudski

Well thought I'd cracked it, when the relay stopped making the noise checked the lights, they won't knock of main beam.

So re adjusted the relay so it was making the noise again and main beam switches off, now I'm properly confused Neutral

Think I'm going to work out a way to fit this switch,

Any other ideas as I'm totally stumped Question
Post #397306 9th Feb 2015 3:00pm
K9F

The problem obviously lies with the relay base if as you imply the system worked when you were constantly holding the wire. What wire was it you were holding? See if you can see the corresponding number on the relay or base and refer to the diagram above. If they won't knock off main beam either the relay is sticking or you have a constant 12volts applied to the relay. Are you 100% sure you tapped off the correct cable and not a permanent live? When constantly on try switching off the ignition and see if the spots are still lit.

Question

Better still get someone in that knows what their doing with a multimeter to check what's going on at the relay to sort it! Thumbs Up

Are you related to Caterham perchance? Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #397309 9th Feb 2015 3:07pm
Rudski

Ha ha

Not that I'm aware, I'm just crap at electrics, i checked and treble checked I cut the correct wire blue/ orange behind the dash.

Been out with a multi meter it's the two wires I connected that are causing the issue. Causing another permanent live Embarassed

Spoken to the tech guy where I bought the car he says the switch has to be fitted, I will have to extend the wires though and tuck it up buy the fuse box as the hole where it should go is now where the skid control button has been put.

All other wiring is correct though

Thanks for all your help Thumbs Up looks like it's out with the centre console now Big Cry
Post #397326 9th Feb 2015 4:04pm
K9F

Good luck but as an electrician myself I cannot at this stage fathom his reasoning that the switch has to be fitted? Best code of practice dictates that it should be the earth to the relay that is switched, nevertheless all a switch does (or should do) in this intance is connect two wires together. I cannot see how simply fitting the switch will stop the relay chattering or get the lights to miraculously work correctly. Is there a diode incorporated into the switch, sounds like you may have picked up another live and the cables when joined are picking up another feed perhaps? If the switch has a diode this may well indeed cure your issues.

'Skid control button' that sounds interesting....does that work as it should? Laughing

Don't bother answering as I am now 'clinging to the abyss' myself? Let us know how you get on.

Are you sure you're not distantly related? No offence meant or implied. Thumbs Up Bow down If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #397333 9th Feb 2015 4:29pm
Rudski

^^^^^ Rolling with laughter how do you think I feel

Yes I'm sure it's is something to do with the switch
Post #397337 9th Feb 2015 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>