↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > One for the Londoners on here
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ken

United Kingdom 
David your not getting this it was not a comparison about detailing at all

This type of set up can / does damage cars its cheap for a reason the labour employed and the chemicals used

I'm not giving an opinion I'm stating fact I run a fleet of 1400 cars in Central London I have a team of three valet guys who are continually doing correction work on the fleet because our staff have no option but to use these outfits as their car must be clean.

The company you have used is just round the corner from one of my offices they use them so I have experience of this and its not based on conjecture

They are one of the better ones however the fact remains the same it is no different to rotary car washes they are all a means to an end

Bring your car to my workshop I'll show you what I mean under inspection lights (why do think dealerships have tube lighting or do hand overs outside ?)

Ever noticed rainbow marks on your black rubbers ?

At the end of the day your happy with results so that's great and parking for Ł20.00 well Thumbs Up
Post #393939 30th Jan 2015 7:25am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Ok- I get what you're saying. So are standard 'car washing' products simply a problem then? Or just the ones that places like these use? Would it be just as bad if I bought a car shampoo, wax etc from say Halfords and did it myself? Because I don't see that using a place is any different to that.

I get that using a drive through wash or a supermarket jet wash or cheap car wash is bad because often the brushes are dirty, damaged and old and they are often left on the floor to get dirty.

Would be genuinely interested to hear what you have to say on this. Sounds like I may be missing something. I'm no expert and just assumed that if there was nothing 'visible' on the car, and the finish was good (which it honestly is, even in the light) that there was no problems. I thought that was good for the car. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #393952 30th Jan 2015 8:44am
ken

United Kingdom 
The chemicals that some use are acidic or highly alkali based which ensures a good quick result

So in practice say you had "Lifeshine" or a similar product applied this would be stripped off by the chemicals

In practice some of our cars are wrapped the screen print applied was protected by a clear coat to high end level
This was stripped off (clear coat) then the ink was attacked and faded out

the only place these car were washed well do the math

Now apply that to you pride and joy
Post #393977 30th Jan 2015 10:40am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Interesting, so would the same happen using say Autoglym or cheaper equivalent from Halfords or the petrol station?

What do you do then? Just wash yourself with special products? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #393982 30th Jan 2015 10:56am
ken

United Kingdom 
Generally retail products are fine

Its the trade ones that can be interesting

The best we have come across is Autosmart G101 does the whole thing promise Thumbs Up
Post #394081 30th Jan 2015 5:10pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
My son took to detailing cars to supplement his income while at university. On average he took three to four hours to detail a salon car, longer for a Defender.
Some of the products he used cost more than that car wash and on average he would use about thirty pounds of product on a car. I have to say though once he had clayed the paintwork, prepped and then waxed, the gloss and finish was unbelievable.
Of course you get what you pay for, but clean cloth's or not, the smallest amount of grit rubbed into your paintwork from a cloth can look horrendous under the right lighting.
Post #394085 30th Jan 2015 5:24pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Must say I agree with Ken's points about the damage these chemicals and car washes can do to your car.

A lot of the local valeters use proprietary TFR products via a snow lance, you car looks great for a few days but starts to go dull as any protective products have been stripped off the paintwork.

Our driver was having the van wash regularly by one of these establishments, I eventuallt had to have the paintwork polished and a goood coat of wax applied to make it look like a year old van again.

I use a combination of Autoglym & Meguiars products on our cars when I clean them, our detailer uses custom blended washes and waxes which are ph neutral and don't strip the wax or degrade the glaze which he applied to the Mrs Q5.

Using unknown car washes is a bit like Russia roulette when it comes to their skill level and the quality of the products used, I learnt my lesson after having Ł600 of damage done to the paintwork of my Touareg when a wash bay used undiluted acid to clean the wheels and cills!! 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #394086 30th Jan 2015 5:27pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
A lot of garage and supermarket jet washes and roller washes use recycled water what you see drain down the long grids under your car is filtered and used again and again and again. This is because Dirty water or run-off from vehicle washing and cleaning carried out as a business or industrial activity is called trade effluent. It’s illegal to discharge trade effluent to drains so the nasty bits are filtered out and the water reused. So in effect you are washing your car with dirty water.
Post #394092 30th Jan 2015 5:42pm
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
did you pay cash or credit card?
Post #394161 30th Jan 2015 8:43pm
AWOL

davidwhittaker wrote:
But they honestly did an excellent job, the best anyone has ever done to my 110 by a way. There's a beautiful deep black appearance to the car now, and absolutely no swirl marks or whatever- got a chance to properly inspect it today in the light.

Were you expecting swirl marks? Shocked

If you really want to go to town, I'd recommend Poorboys Black Hole as a filler followed by a couple of coats of decent wax over the top (the Poorboys isn't a wax) - I usually spend a half day doing the wife's black car twice a year (spring and autumn) and it ends up looking better that it did when it came out of the showroom. To do the Landy properly takes best part of a day though...
Post #394703 1st Feb 2015 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12