↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Best tyre option and why
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Cuthbert

Mountain_man wrote:
I run the Conti Cross Contacts and really rate them. Quite and smooth on the motorway at 80 mph, great in the snow, and I have set out loads of sections around Walters Arena on them and they took me plenty far enough in a standard truck. If I had a better tyre I would be wanting a roll cage and body protection. They are of course easily on the limit in mud but you wouldn't want to be driving on fields with a trailer in those conditions ar the mess would be shameful. For me, I would only consider a more aggressive tyre is I was either working in a quarry, building site or in woodland, or I wanted to do lots of pay and play stuff in the truck.

A very considered and practical response ..... but for those who want 'the hardcore off-road' look for traversing the car park at ASDA I think they prefer the widest tyres you can get on cheap after-market rims with the most agricultural tread on the planet.
Post #423313 13th May 2015 9:09pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I'm probably sounding like a stuck record, but wide tyres are really not my thing.
The vehicle that had most issues getting off a field I was in last year was a 4X4 with wide tyres on it, and that was including a few of us with trailers and loads of 2wd cars.

Unless you need flotation, wide tyres give you the hillbilly look, are worse on and off road, put more stress on everything, make the steering heavier, make the fuel consumption worse, cover your sides with mud, make the turning circle bigger and generally cost more. In the conditions I get off road here, I'd take a Defender on 7.50s over anything else short of a tractor. Personally I think they look better too, but that's quite a personal thing.
Post #423556 14th May 2015 6:19pm
rover

United Kingdom 
Completely agree,

There is nothing wrong with michelin lattitude cross tyres on standard 7.5 -16 wheels. I like the classic look, they behave good on the road and are a lot better offroad than most people think, in a lot of off road sitiuations narrow tyres are best. Going beyond 235 width is completely pointless unless you just like the fat tyre look.
Post #424023 16th May 2015 4:38pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Will 7.5-16 fit on 16x7 Boost alloys? I've come across a set of Latitude Cross tires in 7.5-16 but am not sure if they can be used with my Boost alloys. Currently running 235/85/R16 Federal Couragias that are getting tauntingly close to the TWI.
Post #426277 26th May 2015 6:47am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I'm currently on Grabber TRs on the front and Conti Cross AT on the rear... They seem ok on motorway at speed, I haven't got them muddy yet, but the tread pattern looks pretty capable.

I know mixing tyres is usually a bad idea, but they came with the truck and they look more or less brand new in terms of tread wear. Don't think I'll be spending hard earned changing them just yet as I have other mods I'd rather do first, although the front pair do seem to have something of a bulge to them. (I checked the pressures, up at 33psi as per manual)

I shall watch this, and all the other tyre threads, with interest though...
Post #426314 26th May 2015 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123