↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Ordered, delivered, received, and now fitted. Nakatanenga...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Ordered, delivered, received, and now fitted. Nakatanenga...
Just a quick one, for Brendan and Barbara,

I ordered the wheel carrier last Monday, late afternoon, it turned up Wednesday, well and truly mummified in protective packaging, which meant it hadn't done many miles in a couriers van, clattering and clanking the various parts together, so it looked factory fresh on removal Thumbs Up

What a comprehensive package, with, everything needed there in the box, every bolt supplied in stainless and anti seize , along with clear concise instructions.
Also some bags of muchos chewy sweets , a really nice, can't loose your keys, ginormous keyring too , much appreciated Cool

I guess if you were just fitting it and nothing else, there is a couple of hours in it, but as I am such an anal turd and had to make my life more difficult by adding neoprene gaskets behind all mating surface, and removing the wheel once fitted multiple times, to get the adjustment just so , it took in the end around 4 hours Shocked

Though to be fair, it was in the dark, with a head torch , and it was so cold my fingers didn't really work properly , so fitting hidden nuts and washers was made a little more tedious Laughing
Though the plus point of the cold was that having shoved my frying pan sized hands in and out of small gaps behind the crossmember , in between my Glyn Lewis wheel arch /crossmember protectors ( which really didn't help with access) I could not actually feel when the skin was removed from multiple different knuckles, only the fact my fingers started getting tacky and sticking together with clotting blood gave the game away Laughing
I was soon reminded of the raw bits when cleaning waxoyl and Acf 50 off later on with brake cleaner Big Cry

The fitment is tolerance perfect and once fitted the only obvious giveaway is the large silver bearing at the base.
( even SWMBO hasn't noticed Thumbs Up , she just queried " does it normally take that long to put the wheel back on the door" ?? Shocked )

I no longer need to worry about door hinges and frame damage, though will need to get used to giving it and extra shove to close the door as I had gotten used to the door being so light without a wheel fitted.

All in all, a great product , backed up by a great price and service.
Keep up the good work overlander Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #392754 26th Jan 2015 7:27pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Windowlicker wrote:

Though the plus point of the cold was that having shoved my frying pan sized hands in and out of small gaps behind the crossmember , in between my Glyn Lewis wheel arch /crossmember protectors ( which really didn't help with access) I could not actually feel when the skin was removed from multiple different knuckles, only the fact my fingers started getting tacky and sticking together with clotting blood gave the game away

So I guess you now may call yourself a proud member of "The Land Rover Bloody Knuckles Club"? Whistle Laughing Thumbs Up

Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #392793 26th Jan 2015 9:12pm
Windowlicker

Laughing I don't think its specifically a Landy thing, seemingly most jobs I have tackled on all manor of brands ( well, the slightly more in depth ones anyway ) have all required slits/punctures/peelings and varying degrees of skin removal to classify the job having been done properly Cool
Though that Crest shown in your post would be truly great were it an actual item that could be purchased Cool "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #392800 26th Jan 2015 9:21pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Re: Ordered, delivered, received, and now fitted. Nakataneng
Windowlicker wrote:
but as I am such an anal turd

Click image to enlarge

I am not sure that can be true actually... Shocked

Your DEFENDER spare wheel cover is not straight... Whistle

Great write up though and it did make me smile too... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #392802 26th Jan 2015 9:26pm
Windowlicker

Censored I had noticed that too , though the drive is slightly sloping Whistle
Those covers are a tight as a knats chuff fit and it pretty much has to be fully peeled off to rotate it , and I did try this morning but my scabs started splitting whilst removing so left it for another day.
Though you have to admit my colour coded a Defender decals do look better than the factory fitted silver ones which were upsetting me somewhat Rolling Eyes Very Happy "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #392814 26th Jan 2015 9:44pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Windowlicker wrote:
Though that Crest shown in your post would be truly great were it an actual item that could be purchased Cool

It can! Mr. Green Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #392818 26th Jan 2015 9:48pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Glad you like the wheel carrier and our service.

Yes your story raised a smile on my face too Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #392823 26th Jan 2015 9:58pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Windowlicker wrote:
Those covers are a tight as a knats chuff fit and it pretty much has to be fully peeled off to rotate it , and I did try this morning but my scabs started splitting whilst removing so left it for another day.
Though you have to admit my colour coded a Defender decals do look better than the factory fitted silver ones which were upsetting me somewhat Rolling Eyes Very Happy
I know matey, I have one too and it took aeons to try and get it right... Shocked

And even then I stare at it all the time thinking is it really properly straight... Rolling with laughter

Good choice on the decals... Thumbs Up
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #392825 26th Jan 2015 10:00pm
Windowlicker

Aaahhhh, thanks for that, a cheeky purchase may be in order Thumbs Up

VeeTee wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:
Though that Crest shown in your post would be truly great were it an actual item that could be purchased Cool

It can! Mr. Green
Post #392847 26th Jan 2015 10:40pm
Windowlicker

A simple answer would be to spend another £350 and fit a 5th Twisted wheel and Duratrac Laughing

When will it ever end !! Thud

Venomator wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:
Though you have to admit my colour coded a Defender decals do look better than the factory fitted silver ones which were upsetting me somewhat Rolling Eyes Very Happy
I know matey, I have one too and it took aeons to try and get it right... Shocked

And even then I stare at it all the time thinking is it really properly straight... Rolling with laughter

Good choice on the decals... Thumbs Up
Post #392849 26th Jan 2015 10:42pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
You'll then have the problem of which way to have the wheel mounted. .. Letters (if you have any) at the top? .. Where does the valve go? etc ... All thoughts that passed through my OCD head along with 'wouldn't this be easier with a wheel cover!' Confused 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #392898 27th Jan 2015 7:31am
Windowlicker

Laughing carrotbay

Don't set me off on that idea Shocked Whistle "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #392918 27th Jan 2015 9:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1