↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Indicator of where its going
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Indicator of where its going
Reading an article in LRO, talking to some people i know.

LR are not interested in the mass produced utility like the toybota; so that implies that they will be moving more away from the current.

Picking up something else the tried and tested Disco/RRS platform maybe the base. Mike
Post #2255 31st May 2008 9:53am
spudfan

Ireland 
I think Tata would have examined every available model they could get their hands on.They will identify their markets and see which model best suits it costwise etc.For developing countries with bad terrain and no emissions laws etc they might very will put an updated series 111 into production. As this will not be legal in Europe they will probably continue with engines like the Puma and current Defender specs in developed countries-at a premium price.I'd say for a truly basic utilitarian Land Rover we will have to read about them in India.They will definately not be importable into Europe.
With cheap labour in India there is no reason why Land Rover should not be a viable product there.Might not be as we know it but it could bring back memories to our fathers or indeed grandfathers!
Post #3495 31st Aug 2008 2:33pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
spudfan wrote:
I think Tata would have examined every available model they could get their hands on.They will identify their markets and see which model best suits it costwise etc.For developing countries with bad terrain and no emissions laws etc they might very will put an updated series 111 into production. As this will not be legal in Europe they will probably continue with engines like the Puma and current Defender specs in developed countries-at a premium price.I'd say for a truly basic utilitarian Land Rover we will have to read about them in India.They will definately not be importable into Europe.
With cheap labour in India there is no reason why Land Rover should not be a viable product there.Might not be as we know it but it could bring back memories to our fathers or indeed grandfathers!

They wont be making that - its been made VERY clear and there is no intention of doing it nor nothing in the pipe work.

There are many reasons why it will not be going to india - no least that they know if they did that they would loose 50% of the business

I assume its not a secret that they all buy each others cars and strip them down. Mike
Post #3520 31st Aug 2008 4:10pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Good point.But could they not keep the UK production going for the more sophisticated models that they will charge a premium for and have a separate production facility for their more basic vehicle.No doubt as long as employment levels stay where they are in UK I am sure they are free to do what they want overseas.My point is that the overseas bit would be extra capacity for a market that is now lost to Land Rover.
Post #3578 31st Aug 2008 10:38pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
mse wrote:
They wont be making that - its been made VERY clear and there is no intention of doing it nor nothing in the pipe work.

If thats the case - then so be it.

mse wrote:
There are many reasons why it will not be going to india - no least that they know if they did that they would loose 50% of the business.

However, this bit I don't get - if TATA were to build a 'developing world Defender' in say, India, and sell it where EU/US-type laws do not apply... and a new 'developed world' one in the UK that would also open up the North American market - where is the 50% of business going to be lost from?
I know this means 2 cars, but taking them both into consideration I can only imagine a gain from this scenario.

If it's badge integrity (i.e. county of origin) you are thinking of - then the Knock-Down foreign-built LRs of the past never did the brand any harm..?

As I see it, the current Defender is not ideal for either market.
Going into the near future (considering safety & emissions) there will no such thing as a 'world' utility - there will have to be one for each market, so (according to what mse has heard) TATA may well be happy to ignore one market to concentrate on the other, whichever it thinks most viable - fair enough - this in itself may not effect the size of TATA's future Defender's market (with the loss of say, Africa, but the inclusion of North America). But (as Spudfan says) I still don't see why keeping a foot in both markets would lead to an overall loss of market share?

The future beyond that is another matter.
Post #3586 1st Sep 2008 10:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1