↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Having spent the last 3 days scratching my head trying to remember/figure out which photo went where and recover them from Photobucket, I've realised I haven't updated this thread for the best part of six months, so time for a whilst stop catch up.

February we attended the Social and Laning weekend organised by JST, TJ101 and Mountainman from this here parish for a great evening eating and drinking, followed by a full days laning around the lovely lanes of Mid Wales

Click image to enlarge

Including a great ford crossing, although we were definitely exceeding the maximum stated fording depth. (Thanks to JST for the cracking shot)

Click image to enlarge

It did however highlight another water ingress issue

Click image to enlarge

Turns out there was a slight gap where the gasket sat between the panels. Back to the dealers again Rolling Eyes After bit of a conversation we agreed that rather than it going off to the body shop to have the gasket replaced, we'd run a bead of sealant across the gap. If it went for the gasket swap it was going to be a big big strip down job. Chances of it going back together properly again if they did? Whistle

The days laning has also rattled one of the fixings out from the glove box lid. Added to the job list.

She was put to work dragging all the kit to Scout camp (not the best picture)

Click image to enlarge

Sankey was pressed into service to collect fire wood for my Dad (forgot to get a picture, twice)

Most recently, we did the 5 hour journey down to the Lizard Peninsular, Cornwall for the family holiday and spotted quite a few Land Rovers earning their keep

Lizard

Click image to enlarge

Cadgwith (see this one every year)

Click image to enlarge

Coverack, this one (I think) belonged to the guy stood next to it, who was carrying out the refurb works needed in the shop following the recent floods

Click image to enlarge

Youngest took every opportunity to get behind the wheel

Click image to enlarge

And obviously plenty of trips to the beach each day, for the kids fix of sand everywhere, and the daily "you can go in the sea, but don't get wet as we've not got a change of clothes with us" conversation Rolling Eyes
Alas, one such visit, returned to the car to find the fob wouldn't work. Opened the door using the key, jumped in and tried starting. Fires but won't run Evil or Very Mad No phone signal on the mobile Evil or Very Mad Luckily there was a cafe with a payphone and 20 minutes later LR Assistance had someone with us

Click image to enlarge

Bit of head scratching and detective work, and the very nice man had traced it to a broken central locking wire which was shorting out the alarm system Evil or Very Mad Poor system, if such a simple thing can leave a vehicle stranded!!

To add insult the following day, had a stone flicked onto the front screen leaving a mark the size of a tuppence, so that's another job to add to the list.

And as we've had a bit of wet weather recently, guess what I found the other morning?

Click image to enlarge

So back to the dealers once more next week, with a handful of issues to address. Wonder what courtesy car they'll give me this time?

When she comes back I've still got a list of jobs to do, including fitting the cubby under box, fit more Dynamat and decide what to do about the colour of the bonnet security hinges sitting on the shelf. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #641499 2nd Aug 2017 9:45pm
L110CDL

England 
Many thanks for the update, looks as if you had a good time all in all Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #641737 3rd Aug 2017 8:40pm
Rosco

Thanks Clayton.

I'll make an effort to update more frequently in future too Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #641760 3rd Aug 2017 9:15pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Great colour Rosco Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #641770 3rd Aug 2017 9:35pm
L110CDL

England 
That would be great Rosco Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #641775 3rd Aug 2017 9:53pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great update! That wading looks a little hairy!! Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #641822 4th Aug 2017 7:45am
Rosco

Thankfully I wasnt the first one through, and it didnt look to bad from the drivers seat. It was pretty eye opening after though seeing the tide mark only a couple of inches below the air intake after though Shocked

I've got a video from the dashcam going through the ford, but have no idea how to post it up. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #641865 4th Aug 2017 12:36pm
Rosco

Short update, mostly to remind me what was agreed with the dealer Whistle

Having been asked to help move guinea pigs by my brother, to his mother in laws whilst they went on holiday, we discovered the hutch was too tall by 1/2" to go through the rear door. No worries, I'll pop back and we can use the trailer

Click image to enlarge

Job jobbed, back home, drop the trailer and round the corner to swap cars with the service manager from the dealers, so it could go in for a few jobs.

Its taken two weeks to get booked in with delays on courtesy cars and other reasons, but it turns out their like buses. I found another one when I got to work Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Turns out its not a courtesy car, but one of the IT guys bought it over the weekend.

Anyway, the job list it went in with:
- Investigate the leak into the drivers footwell
- Repair the central locking wires
- I'd spotted a small hole still where they'd sealed up the side of the rear seatbox/wheel arch
- Water getting past the boot door seal
- Investigate why its snatching when going from coast to throttle

Phone call by 10am, "looked at all the issues, and confirmed its worn rear half shafts, but these are on back order so we'll do all the jobs in one go then. Only thing is we don't know when the parts will be here.... Can we book you for the 21st provisionally?"

They also picked up that I'd picked up a screw in the OSR tyre, and a headlight bulb was out, so they put those right for me. At least they've done some work on her this time. Laughing 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #642525 8th Aug 2017 7:27am
L110CDL

England 
Great short update Rosco Thumbs Up cant beat having a trailer for back up Wink at least they confimed the problem and not try to fob you off and it was good they found some extra work to do for you Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #643726 13th Aug 2017 9:17pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Loving the colour coded trailer Thumbs Up my mrs double cab is going into the dealers next week and we are getting a disco sport to use apparently. I think I'll stick with my defender and let her use it Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #643762 13th Aug 2017 10:26pm
Rosco

Thanks Gents. The trailer is still a work in progress that one day I'll get back onto, but with a very young family camping as been put on a back burner (at least outside of dragging them to Scout events where we can use the Explorer Scouts to keep an eye on which way the youngest went Whistle )

If fact I think I've got all the parts now, alloys, tyres, spacers and arches to finish it Rolling Eyes

Got to be honest, the disco sport is a nice motor. It's not a disco 4 by a long shot, but still perfectly nice, but ultimately lacking character like you get with a Defender. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #643984 14th Aug 2017 8:39pm
Rosco

OK, apologies in advance as I've got a bit carried away with this post.

So being the bank holiday and my employer being a kindly soul, we got away early which gave me a couple of hours of tinkering time I wasn't expecting.

The defender has been back to the dealers this week, all the warranty work done.

Key fob replaced, no problem at all. Did ask if I could keep the original as a third spare, but apparently everything they take off they have to return to LR for appraisal??

Replacement rear half shafts have transformed the way it drives. No more clonking or snatching when driving in traffic. Wish I'd pushed to have had it done sooner.

Fuel leak turned out to be due to the breather pipe facing the wrong way round, so simple enough fix.

Id' agreed with them that as they were taking the rear door card off, leave it off as it will give me the excuse to dynamat the rear doors. As they weren't refitting the card, they agreed to remove the other side for me Thumbs Up

So starting on the passenger side, simply as it was the easiest to get at from the way I'd parked it

Click image to enlarge

10 minutes fine slicing with a modelling knife later

Click image to enlarge

And 20 minutes after with a lot of faffing I got the dynamat into place.

Click image to enlarge

As I was going to have the door cards off I thought it would be a good opportunity to improve the door security so ordered this little lot from YRM.

Click image to enlarge

Cracking service. Ordered at 10am, by 8.30am the following day it was in my hands Bow down Dead easy to fit, two minutes with the card not in the way

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All done, so time to re-fit the door card. Only at this point I've noticed that the dealers snapped one of the fixing lugs.

Click image to enlarge

Given that this is the card they removed as a favour, I couldnt really go to crazy, but a phone call to the service manager, and he's agreed to pop round on his way home and gorilla glue it back in place. Not a replacement door card, but fair play to him for going out his way on a Friday night. Thumbs Up Left that to cure over night, so I'll fit that back on in the morning.

The other week I found a fixing rolling round in the back, but had no idea where it came from, turns out its from the seat belt cover

Click image to enlarge

Two minutes later, all better

Click image to enlarge

Round to the drivers side. This is the side that they had the warranty work to do, to repair the central locking wiring. This is apparently the agreed method of accessing the cable

Click image to enlarge

So before we get round to anything else, thought i'd better carry out a bit of a fix

Click image to enlarge

It was at this point I spotted the gash job they'd made of feeding the cable through the door conduit Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Another conversation with the dealer and its an agreed job that we'll pick up next time its in.

Decided this time round to fit the dynamat in smaller sections. Far easier and fitted better, and possibly even a little quicker

Click image to enlarge

Security plates fitted, time to put it back together. And it looks like they snapped several of the fixing lugs off this time, but have already noticed and glued them back on Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Given the repair was tidy, I was happy to carry on re-fitting this panel, so job jobbed

Click image to enlarge

I made sure to fit the window winder at the 6 o'clock position to try and prevent the windows from creeping open.

Moved onto the front doors to fit the security plates, only the door cards were still in place this time. Just needed easing forward from the door frame slightly, but easy enough to fit, albeit a little tight for space. Had a slight panic when i dropped a nut for the top hinge inside the door card. Thankfully it dropped out the bottom easily enough, but did have a slight panic thinking I was going to have to take the whole door card off, mainly as I'd already told SWMBO I was on my way in 20 minutes previously Rolling with laughter

Still a couple of jobs to be done. The seatbox corner protectors from YRM being one of them, but I cant decide which way to go about dynamatting the seatbox. All mats out and cover the outside, or leave the mats in place and fit it to the inside of the seatbox? Any suggestions? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #646341 25th Aug 2017 7:59pm
Rosco

A little more done this morning.

Thought I'd take the opportunity whist the youngest popped for a nap this morning to go and check on how well the NSR door card had cured. I think it turned out pretty well

Click image to enlarge

After firing this on and putting the rest of it back together, thought I'd finish my coffee whilst considering which way to dynamat the seat box. One thing lead to another, and I found myself giving the passenger side a good vacuuming, which in turn lead to me lifting the floor matting to give that a clean, then some how fitting dynamat. Well whilst the mats are out Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Turns out a couple of the off-cuts I had to hand were a perfect fit

Click image to enlarge

Piece for the A pillar

Click image to enlarge

Trimmed round the air vent
Matting back down, just the floor pan to do

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not complete coverage, because A) I wanted to make sure the fixings are accessible for any future reason and B) I was out of dynamat, except a few tiny off cuts, which would look like a right jigsaw if I'd used them

Still no idea how to tackle to seat box. Attacking it from the inside is going to be fiddly, and ideally the battery would need to come out, but I reckon I'll need at least 5, possibly 6 sheets to do that, plus another 2 for the drivers side footwell. I have noticed that the price of dynamat has gone up £3 or £4 a sheet since I purchased the last lot, so I reckon I need to crack on before they break the £20 a sheet mark.

Slowly but surely Cool 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #646483 26th Aug 2017 8:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I always lubricate the door card studs with either Vaseline or wax polish before refitting since it greatly reduces the likelihood of breaking them next time the card needs to come off.
Post #646498 26th Aug 2017 9:30pm
Rosco

As its my 1000th post, thought I'd better do a quick update

Last month was the annual survival skills weekend for Birmingham County Scouts, so pressed the 110 and sankey into service moving kit around the site.

Click image to enlarge

The loggers were literally moving off the site as we arrived and some of the regular tracks had knee deep ruts, so a little more hand balling than I was expecting over the weekend, but where we did go it performed well even when the going got soft in places.

We also rolled over the 36k point so off to the stealers for the service, and had another Ewok for the day.

Click image to enlarge

Nice, but it's not a Defender 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #655207 5th Oct 2017 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>