↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > traction control problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stuartg

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
traction control problem
any help would be appreciated, it all started after a safety related recall on my three and a half year old 2011 puma 110 utility defender, it seems affected vehicles are year 2011-12 ,110 and 130 defenders and involved fitting front axle case flange brackets, this was done by the main dealer at huddersfield, several days later i noticed when pulling off in first gear the tc light flickered on for a second, its intermittent but sometimes there is a sudden pull on the steering to the right as well, it only ever does it from a standing start as you initially accelerate, sometimes it does not do it at all, i temp removed the abs fuse and it no longer did it but the dash lights up like a christmas tree, i took it back to rocar who said the flange brackets would have no bearing on this problem, they wanted me to leave it with them but as its out of warranty i didnt, i took it to my own mechanic who suggested and i agreed to change the abs sensor on the front offside wheel as it only ever tugs to the right but it still occurs, the ring gear on the wheel that the sensor reads he said looked ok, its booked back in next week but i thought i would try this excellent forum for any ideas, many thanks
Post #385169 5th Jan 2015 6:03pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I had a long going issue with TC and ABS which initially was intermittant in nature but got progressively worse and culminated in similar symptoms as yourself. If you can use/have access to a multimeter and insulation tester here are a couple of pointers. Also make sure the sensors are seated all the way home. Even as a qualified Marine electrician the fault took several hours for me to nail it down and would have cost me a bucket load of money at garage labour rates.....that was a good day!

Basically I located the fault by disconnecting the ABS modulator yellow connector under the driver's seat and carrying out insulation/resistance checks on the sensors. There are two pairs of white cables and two pairs of green. White cables are the left hand sensors, right are the green. The resistance value should be according to the workshop manual 980 ohms plus minus 50 ohms although realistically I had readings of about 1180 ohms per sensor. The insulation check revealed a short circuit to earth on one of the sensors, it could be the wiring may have been disturbed during your recall.

Good luck. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #385172 5th Jan 2015 6:12pm
stuartg

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
THANK YOU K9F, WILL KEEP THE FORUM POSTED AFTER IT GOES IN NEXT WEEK
Post #386064 7th Jan 2015 8:28pm
Dora

England 
Did you fix it, I'm having same issue after work carried out?
Post #446051 14th Aug 2015 12:24pm
Dora

England 
Don't worry, took it back and it turned out to be a wheel sensor not pushed in properly, only 1mm out caused all that! Thud
Post #446129 14th Aug 2015 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1