Home > Technical > TD5 Defender - Electrical Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TD5 Defender - Electrical Issues
Evening All!

Had some very random electrical issues today which before I ham and fist at it tomorrow, I thought I'd seek people's opinions and ideas having managed to get her going to get home!

Currently the electrics are reasonably stock. Haven't got around to a Split Charge on this one yet. There's a MAF box and a Boost box on there from IRB. It used to have sots which I've stripped most of the wiring out for. There was also some weird stuff going on off the alternator so they were isolated many moons ago.

Everything's been fine.

Yesterday I installed a heatshot. Running the +VE from the battery +VE and the -VE down to what I think is an old exhaust bracket bolt on the chassis. Either way it's attached to the main chassis. Absolutely fine. It worked as it should and all other electric functioned fine. Last night, went out and back. Fine. This morning I went to brum. Stopped half way and got to my destination fine. That's when things started.

We went out to look at truck so I unlocked it. We had a nosey about then went inside.

45 mins later I was on my way to set off home. Plipper did nothing. Remember I'd unlocked it, so tried to open, but no. All the locks had deadlocked. However there was no Immobiliser light on the Dash. After a while I managed to get in through the rear door (considering my drivers door key lock is broken). Jumped through and unlocked drivers door. Put key in and it fired. No alarm went off (considering the method of entry) and no immobiliser functioned.

So, engine was going so decided I'd better use it to get on my way. Stopped at a friends on way back. shut off and tried to lock. Nothing.

So's I went under seat and checked fuses. Noticed alarm immobiliser was blown. Went to change it. Instant low out. Tried again ... blown.

Right I thought, put a 30A in. interior light now functioned. But alas immobiliser/alarm was still unresponsive (forgot to add here that I've out in a new 2032 into the fob this point).

So now I start delving deeper checking all fuses. Everything seemed fine. Pulled the 30A and put in a 20A. Didn't blow and interior light worked. Central locking/alarm/immobiliser now worked and locked it (door open). Unlocked it and BANG. Fuse blown.

Tried starting the truck but now wouldn't start. I turn ignition on, I get usual 2 yellows, but also an Engine with a Electrical Bolt through it. And wont even turn over.

All sorts of arsing about and leaving the battery unplugged for 5 mins I managed to get the locking working again, but still no immbiliser light. And she now fires.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Can the heatshot be causing all this or is it just coincidence? As far as I can tell it's an entirely separate circuit!

There's probably all sorts I've missed as I was in panick mode and probably in an odd order but it's more or less there!

Just seeking people opinions before I got at it tomorrow!
Post #384347 2nd Jan 2015 11:44pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Hey pal, sorry to hear about your electrical woes.
I wouldnt think your add on tuning would cause this, the easiest way is of course to remove it and see what happens.

To be honest I think if it was one of your add ons it would have caused the issue immediately after fitting.

For a fuse to blow then you have a short to earth on that circuit, so either the wiring on that circuit has rubbed through and is shorting to earth or a component in that circuit is shorting to earth.

Its a case of disconnecting components in a logical order one at a time and seeing if the fuse blows.

Another thought is check if you disturbed/touched/damaged something when fitting your bolt ons.

Sorry I cant be more help, good luck and please post your findings Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #384369 3rd Jan 2015 12:17am
munch90

England 
I would start by checking wiring inbetween body and doors

and then water ingress to central locking control unit , as-- unit in dash ( as5 or as10 unit ? )
Post #384371 3rd Jan 2015 12:23am
taazzukcb

The tuning things wont imo be the issue. It was just a mention as I wanted to cover everything I could in the brief. Funny you mention moving things. I had to take the top of my dash off to sort the washer piping out which involves pulling the clocks forward. Behind there is a right mish mash of nasty nasty pre-insulated crimps (the left over wiring for the spots I reckon). I've also has an odd issue of the lighting being the left and right heater controls are very intermittent. Usually a good smack on the binnacle gets them on again! Sometimes you hit one side and it comes on but knocks the other off. Almost like playing pong :p!

Where is the AS10 located? I also find it interesting you mentioning that behind the dash as well. I didn't spot it with the top off, but it could be behind the clocks binnacle at a guess?

With all the snow that's been here (only gone today since Boxing day) and the deep freezes at night I have had plenty of ice inside the cab on the windscreen and obviously this has to melt somewhere!

I'm starting to think behind the clocks is a good start!

I also have the radio out as I've intended to sort that wiring out to as again, some bad crimps going on there! But that's all loose for now.
Post #384376 3rd Jan 2015 12:37am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Like munch says, I'd check wires to doors. Probably drivers door if it doesn't blow fuses sometimes with door open.
Post #384388 3rd Jan 2015 1:27am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As stated, the root cause of your problem will most likely be a short to earth on one of the wires to the door lock actuators. This is not an uncommon fault.
The 10AS unit is indeed behind the instrument binnacle on your vehicle. The actuators are fed from the green connector (orange and violet wires on pins 2 and 3 respectively)
Post #384432 3rd Jan 2015 11:22am
taazzukcb

After a day of stripping the dash, checking connections, checking fuses, checking relays, blowing many more relays, all I can pin it down to is the fact the inner door metal sheet (drivers door) which the solenoid attaches to was loose at the bottom with bolt undoing itself, thus resulting in the solenoid moving and I think jamming.

Ever since doing it up I can't get the damn thing to blow again even getting 4 people to wiggle doors as I lock and unlock (with a 30A fuse this time as I've blown the 20's!). I got all the lights back, only thing I left out was the interior bulb. Was an LED thing with a heatsink on and overtime the heatsink span and hit the casing it arced. It's been in for many months and never noticed, but I didn't like this, so it's now gone.

I've lost a couple dash bulbs and the heater bulbs don't seem to work any longer, but everything else is back, like the locking and the immobiliser light. Diagnostics port is back after some checking and fiddling.

Can that one loose nut allowing the door sheet to move really of been the issue? I noticed that whole locking mechanism is very sticky. Always has been. I usually give it a good douse in lube every so often but not done it for a while. Think it needs changing as the solenoid seems to be the weakest of them all. Doesn't move very far and the door pin won't let me manually lock and unlock the door.
Post #384576 3rd Jan 2015 7:32pm
munch90

England 
For testing i would put a bit lower fuse in , it takes a 20a normal , i would test with a 15a , you normally find fuses are a bit over rated so normally you can get away with a bit lower for testing then you know it should be 100%

Testing with a higher fuse rate might hide a fault or burn something out

did you check the wires in the rubber connecting tube between body and doors ?
Post #384620 3rd Jan 2015 9:21pm
taazzukcb

Yep, fully understand it's a 20A normal. Burnt through all I had through testing and only had 10's under that which I thought was cutting it close. So only option was the 30A.

Checked and tested all wires in the door. Everything seemed fine and visually looked fine! Nothing obviously out of place on that front! The solenoid is very very sticky. When I first got the truck, it had a 'trick' of locking itself at any time ... normally when I jumped out to lock the gate behind me which is why I always had a piece of wood in the back seat as I got into the habit of opening back window and reaching through to unlock the door.

This turned out to be due to the mechanism. Like I said above, the previous owner has either snapped a key or something in the old barrel. And done many many years ago. It was broke in such a way that the barrel is seized solid, so for this whole time, the solenoid has been having the power through the barrel that wouldn't move to lock and unlock (all interconnected). It's been fine like it until I put the truck into daily use and at a guess it wore the solenoid down. After I bought the truck, I disconnected the link bar between the barrel mechanism and the door latch mechanism. Since then it's fine.

So at a guess the solenoid isn't great anyway. I'm wondering if this loose bolt put it in a position where the solenoid was trying harder to work and pulled to much current, though never blew fuses when it was fighting the barrel for a couple years!

Will fetch some 15's tomorrow and some more 20's and try it out! I did mean to check the current flow on my meter, but I haven't as of yet ordered some replacement fuses for the meter as they went pop when it was loaned out :p!
Post #384634 3rd Jan 2015 9:57pm
munch90

England 
Sorry You say in the doors , but its the wires ouside the door in the rubber connecting tube between body and the doors

had lots of central locking actuators play up and not had one blow a fuse ,
Post #384652 3rd Jan 2015 10:42pm
taazzukcb

Yes, those ones indeed Smile.

Sorry, my phrasing can be a bit off at times! I tend to rush type and always forget to check what I've written.
Post #384666 3rd Jan 2015 11:02pm
munch90

England 
Ok Thumbs Up
Post #384680 3rd Jan 2015 11:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1