↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > diff lock?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Do it one at a time and use the spare temporarily (ie replace fns with spare, fit former fns to ros, fit former ros to fns in place of spare, repeat for other two wheels. Only 1 jack and no stands needed).

Incidentally what makes you think the scuff patterns you describe could be caused by a locked diff? It is more likely to be a characteristic of the tyre. Any pictures of this wear pattern?
Post #381311 23rd Dec 2014 3:22pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
will try and get a photo.

someone suggested diff lock would produce scrubbing on inside and outside of tyres so I'm trying to find another explanation for it.

I also get intermittent clattering from transmission (thinking it's either, clutch, g.box, or t.box - could still be the engine but pretty sure it's not), I've also had (but only a few times (perhaps x6) where I pull off my drive (90 deg turn to right) where the def seems to run away and then slow down - a bit like a rubber band unwinding, previously thought it was an intermittent fault on the throttle pedal and now wonder if its the diff lock. One other thing but suspect it could be lack of traction on tyres - there's a right bend Idea (right turn again?!?) which I go round once or twice a month and it seems like the front just drifts / understeer. Never had the above on a left turn????

and that rumbling sound when slowing down but suspect this is drumbrake / different amount of movement required when applying handbrake (could that be due to transmission being 'wound up' ?

lastly could this explain why my gearbox became 'porous' at c26k miles too much stress on casing?
Post #381318 23rd Dec 2014 3:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would (if I was a betting man) put money on there being nothing wrong with your centre diff lock.
Post #381352 23rd Dec 2014 6:21pm
munch90

England 
Caterham wrote:
will try and get a photo.

someone suggested diff lock would produce scrubbing on inside and outside of tyres so I'm trying to find another explanation for it.

I also get intermittent clattering from transmission (thinking it's either, clutch, g.box, or t.box - could still be the engine but pretty sure it's not), I've also had (but only a few times (perhaps x6) where I pull off my drive (90 deg turn to right) where the def seems to run away and then slow down - a bit like a rubber band unwinding, previously thought it was an intermittent fault on the throttle pedal and now wonder if its the diff lock. One other thing but suspect it could be lack of traction on tyres - there's a right bend Idea (right turn again?!?) which I go round once or twice a month and it seems like the front just drifts / understeer. Never had the above on a left turn????

and that rumbling sound when slowing down but suspect this is drumbrake / different amount of movement required when applying handbrake (could that be due to transmission being 'wound up' ?

lastly could this explain why my gearbox became 'porous' at c26k miles too much stress on casing?

I think like others have said you should notice when driving if diff was locked ,slow full lock turns you would nearly come to a stand still , if your on a large space like a car park with a GENTLE slight slope ( slope just enough to roll on ) you turned full lock and tried to roll down slope SLOWLY slowly it would come to a stand still on its own

does the dash diff light work , lock diff light will either come on straight away or you have have to move few feet for it to come on , unlock diff does light go out same as above may take few feet to go out or out straight out

the switch is worked by the dog ring that moves to lock the diff , that's why even if you move lever the light does not always come on or off straight away, it will come on or off when dog ring moves which can take a few feet forwards or backwards to unwind transmission wind up

diff locked will cause scrubbing between front and rear axles if cornering with diff locked as the front axle travels further distance then rear axle

not really scrubbing on outer and inner of tyre
Post #381357 23rd Dec 2014 6:44pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I don't think I've ever had a Defender that has not exhibited a small degree of block scuffing or uneven wear on the front tyres. Anyway, let me relate something that happened to me recently, it might give you some additional food for thought ...or worry.

I recently needed to get one of my trailers on to a bit of very wet ground and I thought I'd get it as far as I could with the Defender and use one of the tractors to finish the job should the trailer get bogged. As it was I got the trailer backed to where it needed to be using the Land Rover in low box, difflock engaged. Having got back on firm ground I disengaged difflock and selected hi range and parked up nearby for the night. The following day I needed to use the Defender but once moving noticed that the gear change was awful ...I couldn't get a smooth change without a substantial clunk no matter how hard I tried, the whole transmission seemed slack and rather like some of the old clunkers I'd had in the past. The difflock light was not lit, the range lever was where it should be, the rolled freely and transmission did not feel to be winding up so I immediately imagined I had the start of an issue which peed me off as the vehicle was new just recently. Pulling out of a junction at the bottom of the lane here I suddenly lost all drive ....but I had an inkling what had happened and sure enough I found the Hi Lo / Difflock lever in neutral, I got it back in to high range on the fly and instantly the transmission was back to normal with no undue noises, clunks, bangs or slack. So despite feeling like the lever was fully engaged in reality it was only partially in ....and this from someone who has been around Defenders and other 4x4's for a few years. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #381370 23rd Dec 2014 7:09pm
Happyoldgit

As has been said light or no light on a firm surface you will know if your centre diff is locked pretty quickly as the vehicle will quickly become less inclined to roll and steer freely ....the whole thing will feel tight and quite different to how it feels normally. Steve.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

Post #381372 23rd Dec 2014 7:13pm
munch90

England 
^^^ Thumbs Up
ive had that happen , normally move hi/lo lever drive few feet and give it another tug to make sure its right in
Post #381373 23rd Dec 2014 7:13pm
Caterham

Steve.

Your description of the transmission feeling dreadful ie slack poor gear changes no how hard you try are exactly what I'm experiencing....it comes and goes.

I was underneath the other day wiggling the linkage and the next morning it was perfect......my big mistake was then trying the Hi / lo and diff lock.....i'm now unable to repeat the 'perfect ' running (help - I've no idea at present how to fix it.....other than getting access from above and see if there is the possibility of adjusting the linkage to effectively increase the amount of movement to the right ie unlocking the diff?)?
Post #381377 23rd Dec 2014 8:00pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Pull out center trim and lift base that's between seats then you will see all the operational system. This can all be removed and the box can easily be put in high/low, dif in/out as you wish to do tests.

Andy
Post #381389 23rd Dec 2014 8:35pm
Happyoldgit

As Andy says take a look at the linkage from above by removing the cubby box and centre seatbox flap. Hasn't yours had a replacement transfer box Wayne? Steve.

Post #381405 23rd Dec 2014 9:18pm
Caterham

thanks Andy.

Steve, it's had a new gearbox (bit a mistery that - at 26k miles the gearbox became 'pourous' and kept leaking oil through the casing shortly after new extension shaft....me thinks the muppets with big hampers bost it?).

any how just come in from fiddlying around under motor and contrary to the workshop manual I've simply adjusted the length of the hi/lo linkage rod (made it slightly longer) without the use of the 'special tool'.

I'm hopeful this will make the difference between it being almost fully disengaged and fully disengaged. will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

- many thanks and if I don't get round to dropping you a note tomorrow I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time.

best wishes Wayne
Post #381452 23rd Dec 2014 11:05pm
Caterham

still not happy with how things are running and have been thinking of upgrading;

these seem excellent value but something just doesn't seem right?

http://subzerotruck.com/images/Axles/DSCF3503.jpg
Post #400590 20th Feb 2015 3:03pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Go for it, get them bought Rolling with laughter
Post #400604 20th Feb 2015 4:25pm
Caterham

does anyone know about the spacer tool for adjusting the hi/lo linkage and how critical / what affect having the wrong length on the linkage would make?

many thanks,
Post #636948 11th Jul 2017 4:03pm
Caterham

so diff lock - no hi / lo.

there's nothing by way of adjustment on the linkage but it would appear I need to effectively shove the lever further to the right to fully disengage the diff lock and make some clearance to prevent it partially locking back up un be known to me from time to time.

I know there's talk of the linkage becoming seized and this may be the problem (hopefully I'll have another look tonight) but having sprayed loads of oil / anti rust stuff in the area previously and having had the linkage out recently (not to check for seizure mind) I'm happy that it's we lubricated / loose. Assuming that's the case and I still need to push the lever further to the right as mentioned before any thoughts on how I should go about this?

many thanks,
Post #640330 28th Jul 2017 3:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>