↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Halfords - What the Heck has happened to them????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Halfords - What the Heck has happened to them????
Went this morning to get some quick detailer for Beastie.

My goodness what a hole!

I've not been in for a long time admittedly, but goodness me it's not the place it was once. Very poor product availability (3 cans of aerosol Waxoyl only).

Most of the shelves were just full of tat.
Post #378632 13th Dec 2014 1:50pm
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I must say my local Halfords is generally really good, always a good selection of paints, fillers, wax, shampoos etc as well as a good tool selection.

I generally use the local auto factors but it's nice to know they are there when the auto factors are closed.

Maybe it's down to location at what they sell the most.
Post #378642 13th Dec 2014 2:28pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I agree Halfords is the not the store it once was, not that in my opinion it was ever that brilliant! However in its better days it was owned by Boots PLC and Lucas Auto centres who are both experts in retail trading.

I think the rot started when its senior management team broke away and forced a management buy out to form Halfords Auto centres under its company name of Halfords Group plc. The company has a very odd board of directors who have the ethos of no individual or group of individuals dominates the Board's decision taking, a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Halfords have started to demand a 10% equity release on estimated profits earned from their suppliers paid upfront (a little like Tesco have done and what is now being investigated) this has forced some of its smaller suppliers to pull out from Halfords.

Also their fascination with cyclists and Bikes in trying to obtain a monopoly in cycle sales is starting to show in its motor accessory side resulting in poor stocks and a limited market share.
Whether Halfords will ever become the store it once was is doubtful especially as the DIY motorist is fast becoming obsolete as more and more cars have limited DIY service and repair capabilities.
Post #378643 13th Dec 2014 2:30pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
More profit in tat and bikes than actual car parts. People who work on their own cars are diminishing rapidly.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #378645 13th Dec 2014 2:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I've almost given up on them except for more consumer products.

having seen items in halyards 4-5x the price they are in CES thats the only place I'll go now.

example: bought GB sticker, High vis jacket, beam deflectors and 5L conc. screen wash at CES then compared the price at halfords vs CES..

CES- £7.80 ish
Halfords- £14.50 ish

wipers for a defender (bosch) are less than £5 each at CES compared to over £11 at Halfords.

pretty decent for bikes/helmets/car audio stuff though Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #378677 13th Dec 2014 5:03pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Far better off to go to an "auto factors" place,

Catherine, nor sure where in Wilts you are, but in Swindon you can't get better than Car & truck (transfer ind est), Bramarc over in west swindon by the old Renault factory, or euro car parts in common platt ind est behind Dick Lovett BMW.

Much better range of proper "car" (and truck) stuff; oils, durite electrical bits etc, and cheaper than Halfrauds, and staffed by people who know one end of a screwdriver from the other.
Post #378724 13th Dec 2014 7:08pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Our local Halfrauds (Peterborough) is always well stocked across the board and the staff are really lovely guys 'n gals... Thumbs Up

I only use it because it is convenient and easy to get to and from, plus I have not yet explored the land of Motor Factors in the area yet... Whistle
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #378731 13th Dec 2014 7:22pm
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Their spanners are good quality.
Post #378746 13th Dec 2014 8:37pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
They pretty much vary store to store, Salisbury store is ok but there's a euro car parts store too
Post #378762 13th Dec 2014 9:30pm
Rickydodah

If you research the management hierarchy of the company, those managers who were asked to leave when the company was floated have by the later aquisitions regained those managers. Irony. The local branch is pretty good but cycles appear to be taking over looking at the amount of floor space given over to bikes. In my opinion they have little direction and do not fully understand their business and demographic, still. Pretty much why those who were 'asked' to leave were asked all those years ago. Question Question Question I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #378799 13th Dec 2014 11:45pm
shazzy90

they are shirt and would not buy owt from them as I find everything overpriced and the staff on low wage do not have a Scooby about lego sets never mind cars, I once bought a bike from them and paid for assemble , as it was a xmas present, the pedals fell off on boxing day ,and it took me more time trying to resolve the problem than the price of the bike,i do agree that the spanners and sockets are good but the staff are xxxx as with most stores like this need I mention bq I once asked a member of staff where to find a box of one inch sevens and he replied we do not sell these have you tried the local fishing tackle shop
Post #378802 14th Dec 2014 12:12am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I think we're fortunate in not having one.

Instead we have a shop that isn't a massive chain and has really helpful staff (in my experience at least) that does most of the Halfords type stuff. When I broke the mirror on my Civic I rang them up and they had a spare in stock for £10, they put it behind the counter for me and it was a 30 second pop in, pay and leave job which was exactly what I was looking for. I've had similar experiences since and would highly recommend Wheelspeed in Fakenham if anyone's ever in the area.

A friend fairly recently wanted some audio stuff for his Discovery, travelled to the nearest Halfords to find they didn't have what he wanted in stock, came back to Fakenham Auto Electrics and found they had what he wanted in stock for less than Halfords wanted.

OK so you might have to choose which of the two you want to go to to get the full range of Halfords stuff, but you do better as a result. Decent quality Defender batteries for £58+vat? I recently bought a pair of heavy duty Varta batteries about 50% bigger than the Defender for not much more than £100, a fortnight ago we had a new alternator on a JCB for less than £50 and they're just down the road and have it all in stock.
Post #378811 14th Dec 2014 2:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1