↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TD5 Clutch slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
My clutch was slipping due to the FPR valve seal, I could only just see the leak, it was not obvious at all. I changed the seals on the FPR (about a tenner for the seal kit) then removed the crank sensor at the side of the bell housing, sprayed 2/3 cans of brake cleaner onto the clutch plates, make sure the small hole at the bottom of the bell housing is clear first.
It was better and I'm sure the diesel would have burned off eventually but took the crank case sensor off again, it's the perfect size to get a garden hose into - flushed it through for 20 mins, replaced the sensor and gave it a spin.
No more slipping Thumbs Up
Post #415599 12th Apr 2015 7:29am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
That happened to someone I knew - except he put a new clutch in before it happened again and he realised it was the fpr....

On the subject of fluids breaching the bellhousing - I gunk'd and jet washed mine to remove all the grime, and the very next day the clutch started juddering coming off the bite - enough to stall a couple of times.

A friend convinced me it was coincidence - but now 2 or 3 weeks later and it appears to have 'burned' off - with the judder gone.

I must admit I had thought the bellhousing to block seal was more robust than that ... ?
Post #415610 12th Apr 2015 9:15am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I think mine is just coincidence now. Been fine the back end of the week towing so hope all is ok. I did change the starter motor solenoid last weekend, and as previously mentioned the rocker cover gasket had leaked prior to being replaced. I did notice some oil run down the bellhousing when I removed the starter motor. Some must have run down internally through the starter motor hole whilst removed. I just sprayed brake cleaner through the wading plug hole on the bottom of the bell housing. The first night loads of black gunk flowed out, but by night 4 it was running pretty clear. I have left the bung out for now Fingers crossed
Post #415636 12th Apr 2015 10:33am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
In the almighty words of all Land Rover owners everywhere...

...Balls... Big Cry

My clutch is slipping as described in this thread and I have oil flowing down from the rocker cover... Guess I will be bang some brake cleaner and a new gasket...

Fingers crossed Thumbs Up
Post #607614 7th Mar 2017 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12