↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Swing away spare wheen carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Leese7en

Swing away spare wheen carrier
Hi newbie here, please be gentle with me...!

I've just removed my Defender 110 tow bar drop plate to stop it ploughing when off-roading and bolted my nato hitch directly on the cross member. I've now not got enough room to open the hitch with the rear door closed and spare in the normal position.

Do any of the swing away carriers position the wheel any higher? or do I have to just accept I have to open the door every time I hook up.

Advice appreciated Very Happy

Lee
Post #376586 5th Dec 2014 1:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can't answer your questions (no experience with swing-aways for Defender with rear doors, though lots for tailgate types), but ref. the NATO pintle, did you remember to fit the requisite reinforcing plate to the crossmember.

It rather depends on the year of your Defender, but certainly TD5 and TDCi crossmembers (and I think earlier too) are not considered strong enough to take the NATO pintle directly unless a reinforcing plate is used.

I think the part no is KNK500030
Post #376591 5th Dec 2014 1:36pm
Leese7en

Thanks Blackwolf, I remembered an engineer friend made them for me, 110 300 tdi.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #376605 5th Dec 2014 2:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
No simple answer to your question as it depends partly on what size tyres you are running on.

A Nato hitch is not suitable for normal towing of trailers as it is far too high.

Running on 255/85/16 with a Safari Equip wheel carrier here it moves the spare wheel to the right. Measurements with the 255/85 on central vertical line you have 1.5" clearance from top of rear cross member and it is 5" inboard from the edge of the tub. With a smaller diameter tyre those measurements would increase.

Have not got our black 110 outside so can not do a quick measurement but you can mount the wheel carrier module on the Safari Equip single pivot one at two heights. Picture here shows you clearance. If I remember I will try and take some measurements over the weekend.

Brendan
Post #376616 5th Dec 2014 3:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up

Looking at your photo, would it be possible to replace your door carrier with the current style of pressed steel bracket but mount it higher up the door?

This type (photo pinched from another thread on here):-

Click image to enlarge
Post #376618 5th Dec 2014 3:28pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Looking at his door which is a pre 02 door and that wheel mount is for a post 02 door it would need some reinforcing on the inside of the door. Now that door skin is showing signs of corrosion so question is what state is the actual rear door in?

If door is in a bad way it might be an idea to get a replacement post 02 door which has not been drilled for the wheel carrier and then mount it higher up as you have suggested.

Brendan
Post #376629 5th Dec 2014 4:11pm
Lorryman100

The Nakatanenga wheel carrier with a 305 spare fitted gives over 4" clearance from the top 2 cross member mounting holes. The carrier offsets the spare wheel to the right of centre as well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There is more room with a stock 235 fitted, sorry this is the only pic I can find with a 235 fitted as a spare.

Click image to enlarge

HTH

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #376642 5th Dec 2014 5:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Safari Equip Single Pivot gives you the option on the mounting point to rotate it 180 degrees to have the wheel mounted high or low.

This is the high position. Plenty of room by my reckoning.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #376650 5th Dec 2014 5:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1