↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 300TDI LEFT HAND INDICATORS STUCK ON?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
camel 110

United Kingdom 
300TDI LEFT HAND INDICATORS STUCK ON?
HI, HAVE 110 1996, 300TDI. CAMEL. THE LEFT HAND INDICATORS, ALL 3 HAVE ILLUMINATED AND THE GREEN INSIDE LAMP, STEADY, WITHOUT THE KEY ON.
AFTER LOTS OF INVESTIGATION I HAVE DISCONNECTED A PLUG UNDER THE AIR FILTER BOX AND ALL APPEARS TO WORK AGAIN EXCEPT REAR WIPER AND REVERSING LAMP. THE QUESTION IS WHAT ELSE IS THIS PLUG FOR? WHAT HAS CAUSED THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM. THE ONLY NON STANDARD INDICATION WITH PLUG DISCONNECTED IS THAT WHEN HAZARDS ARE SELECTED ON THE TRAILER GREEN LIGHT NOT THE INDICATOR GREEN LIGHT FLASHES.
THE CAR WAS STAIONARY AND NOT IN USE WHEN FAULT APPEARED.
Post #415644 12th Apr 2015 11:11am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Check the trailer socket for water, crud and shorted out cables. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #415645 12th Apr 2015 11:24am
camel 110

United Kingdom 
Thanks. Trailer board works fine. Just spending some time with friend and a Voltmeter. As a camel it has loads of extra wiring but the white connector / socket in engine bay looks like land rover fit not camel extra. People keep saying a bad earth but how does a bad earth cause a current flow and hence illumination. ? My simple brain equates poor earth with no illumination. Back to the garage.
Post #415666 12th Apr 2015 1:06pm
camel 110

United Kingdom 
Hi. Solution maybe ? The white connector in engine bay below air filter takes power on a purple always live cable to the rear of the vehicle through chassis. It operates rear wiper and reversing lamp. Why per ant live I don't know? Assume helps with lights. Where loom exits rear chassis just before crossmember I found that the loom was or had been touching the edges. I peeled back as much old insulating tape as possible and tried separating the cables. I was hoping to find a live purple and LHS indicator cable touching each other. I didn't find anything obvious but upon reattaching the engine bay connector, the fault( perm on LHS indicators) has gone. It is evident I had disturbed the cable but not yet prevented it happening again. I shall investigate another day.
Post #415716 12th Apr 2015 4:42pm
camel 110

United Kingdom 
Just one thing that someone could help me with. Could you operate the hazards and see if the green indicator lamp flashes or the trailer lamp flashes or both? I have the trailer green only. Ps no trailer attached. Thanks.
Post #415717 12th Apr 2015 4:45pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Under normal conditions the trailer lamp will flash once with trailer disconnected.
if it is flashing in time to your vehicle indicators then it is either the relay or the socket Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #415730 12th Apr 2015 5:30pm
camel 110

United Kingdom 
yes thats how it works when indicating left or right on mine ok, just as you say, but i dont think i have ever looked down when hazards only are selected to see what is flashing....I get trailer flashing in sympathy and indicators working ok outside?
thank you.
if anyone has a 300 Tdi 1996 110 i would appreciate a photo of the fuse layout table. I have been able to source several but they are all different than mine. I have identified lights, hazards, and a couple of other items but am struggling to identify several other fuses.
The location of the relay for the heated screen is a mystery also. I have 4 with the fuses. 2 to the left including flasher unit and 2 on right(yellow)
Post #415740 12th Apr 2015 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1