Home > Tdi > 1990 200TDi, 150,000 Miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mwatson

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
1990 200TDi, 150,000 Miles
Hi all,

Just a quick one, i've been looking at a 1990 200TDi 90 with 150,000 miles on the clock to buy and just want to ask a few things as i'm pretty new to all of this. All of the underneath looks pretty sound structurally and all the good stuff, he's asking £4500 for it and i'm looking to use it as my daily drive (no more than 100 miles a week that is). Firstly is the price reasonable do you think? There's no rust or anything on it, it's good inside too pretty kitted out, and secondly, will it (for all intents and purposes without something unexpectedly going wrong) last me a few years even with that mileage as i'm just not too familiar with how long these engines run for!

Sorry I have no photos which probably doesn't help! Rolling Eyes

Cheers guys,

Matt
Post #371555 14th Nov 2014 1:40am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
the determining factor for price of all older land rovers is corrosion, if it really does have a corrosion free chassis and bulkhead and all the cappings and bottoms of the doors etc are corrosion free then it will command a good price. The mechanical bits are all dead cheap for the TDi models at the moment because of the number of series 1 discos for sale for less than £1000 that can swap engines gearbox's and axles. 150k really depends on use and servicing, well looked after TDis can do huge milages without fault if they have been looked after, its all about condition condition condition.

getting the price right is difficult but e/bay, LRO etc and Auto trader will give you an idea, unfortunately the limited photos in these for sale ads often hide horrors and its underneath that's most important DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #371563 14th Nov 2014 6:49am
mwatson

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thank you for your response, I will have a closer look at all of this and possibly proceed depending on what comes of it!

Cheers!
Post #371564 14th Nov 2014 7:18am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
200tdi will go forever if well serviced...One of the best engines to go in the defender.

If good bulkhead and chassis at that mileage you can't go far wrong.

If you plan to us it as a daily driver, only issue you will have is engine noise...especially on motorway...but good soundproofing and disco transfer box will help.

Good luck

Nigel
Post #371581 14th Nov 2014 9:36am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I would think £3000-6000 for a 200tdi. They do rot badly. Check bulkhead, rear chassis (look on the top in front of the rear wheels) mine was bad there. Door bottoms are always bad and battery box. Also check rear of seat box.

Engine they run pretty smooth and should start easy. Also there shouldn't be any smoke. Don't miss oil changes because they need doing every 6k. Also I had one where someone had filled gearbox with ep90, it should be atf.
Post #371586 14th Nov 2014 9:57am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Agree with what they said Thumbs Up

It is entirely normal on start up to have a cough of black smoke, this is built in by the injector pump to over fuel to get it started, once started it should clear almost immediately. However heavy blue smoke may be an indicator of an unhappy turbo or warn piston rings. White smell less smoke will indicate a possible head fracture, not a big issue but not what you want on a new truck. white diesel smelling smoke could point to a fuel problem, ether timing or injector. again, can be resolved but injectors are getting scares and expensive.

Rust is an issue as with all land rovers, check to make sure the bulkhead is in good nick, the chassis, particularly the cross member. Don't be scared to give everything a tap with a hammer, usually a very good indicator of if the chassis is sound or not (and if they wont let you is a good indicator of how confident the seller is)

Also make sure it is the correct color for the year produced, many 200's get a "respray" to tidy it up but this can often hide a multitude of sins.

When you take it for a test drive, when cold put the gear into first, down to second and then back to first. if this is a struggle when cold it can indicate a slightly tired gearbox, in which case could give you some leverage on price, new gearboxes are cheep and plentiful at the moment but I would look at replacing it with an R380 if you decided to go down this route.

150,000 is fine for a 200Tdi, they will plod on forever given that they are looked after. They do need servicing every 6000 miles and will use oil between services, this is normal but excessive oil consumption can be an indicator of a warn turbo. Also, check when it last had its cam belt changed. They last a long time but are prone to snapping which can cause a major headache. Was one of the first things I did on mine when I got it (after installing security) along with a good clean and a service to give you piece of mind before you start.

They make a fantastic daily driver, I do 250 miles a week just going to and from work in mine and that before I do any trips or adventures at the weekend. As long as you make sure you grease your props, change engine oil frequently and keep an eye on all the running gear it will out last every other defender on the road, apart from possibly a 2.5N/A but they have been around since the dinosaurs invented them.

Good Luck, be nice to see another 200 on here Very Happy Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #371619 14th Nov 2014 2:03pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I love 200TDi’s, in my opinion it is a proper Land Rover engine, faithful, hardworking, gives it all, is easy to service, economical and if you add a full sized intercooler to give it an extra boost, powerful.
Its low down torque makes towing a pleasure. OK it’s a bit noisy but yo can easily live with that if you add a soundproofing.

I also have a Defender fitted with a TDCi that to be honest with all its bells and whistles and computer controlled engine management is not as nice to drive, is not as easy to service and lacks in my opinion the guts of the 200TDi.

Look after a 200Tdi and it will give years of trouble free service. Just make sure you use a full synthetic oil (I use Millers) and it will run as sweet as a nut.
Post #371626 14th Nov 2014 2:46pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If it's in good nick structurally and mechanically then that price is probably fair. As mentioned above the structural condition of the bulkhead and chassis is probably the most important thing, the hammer test is a good one. Listen for a metallic ring to indicate healthy steel rather than the dull thud that rust or filler would produce.

150,000 miles is no problem for a 200Tdi that's been well looked after. Mine's on 210,000 and not showing any signs of giving up yet. There are many with over 400,000 miles on the clock. Regular oil changes are key, every 6,000 miles as above. I don't bother with fully synthetic oil for such an old tractor engine, just bog standard semi-synthetic 10W40 keeps mine spinning. Buying it in bulk keeps the cost down, and oil/fuel/air filters are dirt cheap too.

As for using one as a daily drive, well I do 500-700 miles a week in mine commuting and at work a yes it is a bit noisy compared to a modern car or even a modern Defender but I enjoy driving it and have added a few creature comforts such as central locking, cruise control, soundproofing etc. It is a good engine for towing too as others have mentioned, mine is quite happy with 2.5 tonnes on the back - though you will slow down on bigger hills.

Another thing to consider is if you were ever going to sell it in the future that a decent 200Tdi Defender in good nick will always make good money - I would think it will most likely increase in value going forwards.
Post #371697 14th Nov 2014 10:33pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
As above, but just to add that on a 1990 it won't be an original tdi, it would have been a td I think. May be a discovery engine in there, which although is great is still a cinversion so does affect monetary value, a bargaining point!! You can check to see if engine number( at front of engine on horizontal part of block on l/h/s) matches that on the v5 logbook..
Great reliable no nonsense engines.

Cheers. Alex
Post #371717 15th Nov 2014 12:18am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
We use one as a work vehicle for my wife, had it 9 years and never misses a beat. As above keep the oil clean (service mine every 4k) and just keep a keen eye out for corrosion. I went galv chassis 6 years ago as I simply don't have the time (or inclination anymore Whistle ) to roll around under it every year welding for MOT, easy job to do and well worth the investment. Great daily driver and workhorse
Post #371784 15th Nov 2014 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1