↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Clutch oddity/irritation question....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Clutch oddity/irritation question....
Hi all,

Just a question relating to my clutch action , if anyone could shed some light or offer any input please.

Having read all the drivetrain slop , clanking, and other transmission related variables , I haven't found d something similar.

I do have the slop/clank on lower gears been engaged, but most of the noise is generated by the harsh take up of the change.
It's not an issue really say 3rd to 4 th to 5 th and so on, it's when setting off from stationary, I try and let up the clutch gently , feeding it out or riding it slightly , I have tried a bit of throttle , no throttle etc etc and the biggest issue is a change in pedal feel/resistance.
Just as it gets to the bite point, it seems to change in feel so there is , to try and describe the feel, a lump in the movement, a bit like a speed bump interrupting a smooth surface if that makes sense.
Instead of a nice linear feel, which would in turn make the take up consistent , just a the point of bite, it seems to stiffen up slightly, so you instantly reduce the pressure you are applying with your leg, this allows it to pass the "bump" but once past the bump, it lightens up again, meaning it jolts forwards as if you have sort of sidestepped the clutch.

I have done the grease nipple in the m/c mod and greased it when I first got it, as the dealer assumed I would be quite happy with a clutch action that generated a noise like a Vampires coffin opening Shocked Rolling Eyes

Is this normal, are they all just a bit agricultural as an explanation or should it be a smooth consistent/linear motion ?
(Tis on a 90HT 2011 39,000 miles original clutch I am guessing)

Many thanks .

Nick
Post #375562 1st Dec 2014 6:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've noticed similar on the odd occasion but nothing that I personally wouldn't expect as a Defender querk. Laughing
It goes though, not anything to worry about.
I find sometimes your footwear can make a big difference, I'd rather have a heavier shoe / boot that a lighter one.
Just something to think about.
Post #375575 1st Dec 2014 6:37pm
Windowlicker

I know what you mean on the footwear front, but it pretty much requires a specifc thought process every time I want to set off, creep in traffic etc, trying to make it less obvious to passengers and also when the dog is in the back, trying not to lurch forward and unbalance him.
I even find my self thinking about how it must look to cars behind or next to me when it jolts slightly on take up or when setting off in second gear with the wrong amout of throttle which sends a vibration or shimmy throught the vehicle making my mirrors vibrate and I wonder if the entire van sides wobble as well Laughing

I don't know if it's something to do with clutch pedal position or height or weight or combo of all those , or that I am sat pretty high and my leg angle is such that it makes me lift my foot onto the clutch pedal .
Instead of say in a car , you pivot your ankle/foot from your heel which is on the floor, and more precise and stable control is possible due to the bracing effect of this.
Thinking about it , this may be my problem and I need some big wedge ,spice girl styleee shoes with orthopaedic soles fitted Embarassed
Post #375591 1st Dec 2014 7:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What floor mats do you have?
Post #375595 1st Dec 2014 7:30pm
Windowlicker

I have the Landrover supplied jobs, I have seen the threads about some having issues with them being too thick, and limiting clutch travel, if that's what you are referring too.
My problem isn't on depressing ( though it is mildy getting me down Crying or Very sad ) but on the releasing of the pedal.
Post #375597 1st Dec 2014 7:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
How's the clutch fluid level looking?
Post #375600 1st Dec 2014 7:41pm
Windowlicker

I have just popped out to check Steve , which bright spark thought that was the best place to route a load of wiring and pipework , Rolling Eyes Shocked
Anyway , having removed the cap, this is what I see, is it supposed to brown, I can honestly say, I have never seen clutch fluid that looked like this ???.

Click image to enlarge
Post #375609 1st Dec 2014 8:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would say no, but I'm no expert.
Hopefully someone will be a long shortly to comment.
Post #375612 1st Dec 2014 8:07pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Hi Pal

Have you been topping up your clutch fluid with Bovril ? I kind of know what you mean about releasing your clutch pedal. It could be several things so I think I would start with simplest first. Bleed the clutch hydraulics until it appears clear in the reservoir. It could be water in the fluid which wont help at all or it could be seals in the master cylinder giving up, although that usually turns it black.
See what your pedal is like then. You could also remove the 6 screws and the cover from behind the reservoir and squirt some proper oil on the pedal pivot, put a cloth under the pedal first to avoid oil on your mats.

See how you go Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #375659 1st Dec 2014 9:26pm
Windowlicker

Now then Mar mite. ( did you see what I did there Laughing Rolling Eyes )

I haven't topped it up at all, it had a full service allegedly , form Masseys when I bought it 1800 miles ago, so I guess this is how it has always been, as the issue/feel has been there from day one.

I will try bleeding it this week, assuming I can rope in the wife as pedal pusher Smile , failing that an easy bleed set up, assuming the cap it uses will actually fit in the congested crevice they fitted the MC in Rolling Eyes

Is it just a normal dot4 fluid required do you know?

Many thanks, Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #375665 1st Dec 2014 9:38pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Oxo ya think your funny then, ENOUGH this is serious ! Laughing

Yeah dot 4 should be fine....better than whats in there now !

If you cant get a pedal or the easy bleed wont fit then I clean an oil can out, fill with brake fluid and connect it to the bleed nipple with a rubber tube after your helper holds the clutch pedal down with their hand. Then pump the oil can and tell your helper to let the pedal come up as they feel the pressure from the oil can. Works every time Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #375675 1st Dec 2014 9:59pm
Windowlicker

Hmmm, there will most likely be some pro's and Condiments to the differing methods Mr. Green

Thanks for the advice and suggestions , hopefully his will be one of those simple but hugely effective little jobs.

Alternatively it will be one of those , all done back together , here's hoping it's now sorted Censored Censored Thud Banging Head , nope , it's just the same as before , jobs Big Cry

Thanks chaps .

Cheers,

Nick
Post #375687 1st Dec 2014 10:39pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
might be worth checking where the clutch pedal return spring sits on the clutch pedal and lubricating that interface DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #375729 2nd Dec 2014 4:34am
Windowlicker

Thanks for the suggestion , I will caress some slide'n'glide in there also Thumbs Up
Post #375752 2nd Dec 2014 9:34am
Windowlicker

Well , I got her bled this afternoon, what a bizarre example of a bleed nipple Shocked

I can honestly say, I have never seen such a thing Laughing

Was the plastic flat sided thing underneath the nipple a cover or cap, to hide /protect the actual hex area for a spanner, did it screw off , or pop off Question Question
I only deduced by the fact it had serrations or sort of knurled grip areas on the flats , that this was indeed a dial of sorts, to effectively crack off the bleed nipple to allow flow of fluid .
I also found that if the pedal is depressed first, before you twist the plastic dial thing, it effectively locks it solid, leading you to expect the whole thing to snap off if more force was applied.
So in effect the way to do it is to twist/open it, then straightway ask your assistant ( SWMBO today Shocked ) to depress the pedal, then upon release, close it again.
Wether this is correct or not I don't know, but it just feels like a flimsy piece just waiting to ruin your day.

Anyway, having done it , even the wife pointed out that it now feels much smoother and doesn't have the rough bit in the middle of the travel Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Went for a blast to see what it was like and it really is one of those tweaks you notice in so much of driving the vehicle, setting off, junctions, inching forward or backwards is now "normal" without the bump or rough bit mid pedal travel.
So I am mainly a happy bunny, no more embarrassing lurches or nodding dog head jerks upon setting off.
Thanks to all who assisted with info.

Cheers,

Nick
Post #377077 7th Dec 2014 6:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>