Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shock absorber woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Shock absorber woes
Evening all,

I've done the search, read the threads but still after some pointers.

I've snapped the rear offside shock on my 52 plate 110 and I'm looking at a replacement obviously. I could, and still might replace with OEM as I didn't have any issues with the ride quality on or off road until it snapped and the spring dislocated.....seems like there was to much articulation for the shock??

I'm thinking I want to up grade the shocks and springs in a preventative manner. I'm not looking to raise or lower it just have something better/stronger.

The 110 spends 85-90% of it's time on the road and does 5-10 laning/off road days a year. We're also looking at getting a caravan and it will be fitted with a winch on it's return to G4 spec (The 110 not the caravan)

My research has lead me to Old man Emu that seem to have great reviews - but which ones do I need? Terrafirma - mixed reviews. Still need to look at Koni and Bilstein.

Like I say I don't need or want anything to over the top just everything I ask, comfortably and affordable.

Your advice and wise words of wisdom are most appreciated. Bow down

Thanks all!!! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #375332 30th Nov 2014 9:02pm
Litch

England 
OEM great, work perfectly well and what the vehicle was designed with.

Personal experience of both De Carbon & Koni.
The De Carbon were excellent, allowed me to run soft springs for articulation but stiffened it up on the corners, sold them 8-years later and they were still working perfectly.
Currently running Koni Heavy Track. As per DC, work perfectly well and no issues. They are stiffer than the DC's but are adjustable, I haven't played with the settings (had them for over 2-years now) but might be tempted to some time. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #375344 30th Nov 2014 9:37pm
Timo K

Finland 
Koni Heavy Track. I think they're much better than stock for a very slight price increase.
Post #375346 30th Nov 2014 9:42pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yep Koni are great
Post #375352 30th Nov 2014 9:46pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
+1 for Konis

For me, they made a huge difference at the front when hitting speed bumps and the pot holes, however only mild improvement at the back.

The rear of a defender is designed to literally take a ton of crap.. an empty defender is too light to properly compress the springs, this doesn't give the shocks as much travel space to make a difference.

At least 200kg of weight in the back is needed for comfort, maybe installing some slabs will fix that Mr. Green
Post #375386 30th Nov 2014 10:44pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I upgraded to Koni & very happy too.

If you want a set of almost-new rear shocks for a 110...I have some for sale - a few quid and they're yours Thumbs Up http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic16202.html?highlight=shock Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #375761 2nd Dec 2014 10:30am
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
MartinK, thanks for the offer mate but it turns out I know someone who knows someone, and I got great price on Terrafirma shocks.

On the down side whilst underneath doing the shocks a relocation cones I had a look at the brakes, which lead to new pads, disks and callipers. A bit more ££ spent than planned but it's always the way. Due to the extra spend I'll be staying on the same springs for now but will be changing them and the front shocks and springs when it get's it's service in April/May next year. Then the suspension (and rear major brake components) will be good for another decade and a bit.

Thanks again for the advice all!!! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #377008 7th Dec 2014 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1