↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > For anyone looking for a slim line quick release system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
For anyone looking for a slim line quick release system
If you looked at Lorryman100 thread about Bolt on Bits slim line steering boss and noted the quick release system he uses which is a TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off - Alloy Road
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32830.html

Up until reading that thread I was going to buy the BG system but at 60mm depth added to even a slim line boss it
would bring the steering wheel out more than I would like.

So I decided to purchase the same one as Lorryman100 uses which at only 27mm is ideal ,
The TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off (Hub Fitment) - Alloy Road is probably the slimiest snap off system that is on the market, it does not rattle even after years of use - it is made from cast aluminium and steel and there is absolute zero play. The Snap-system is painted black to blend seamlessly into modern car interiors. It has an automatic failsafe locking feature. It also has exclusive security as each unit is unique - the mating pins between the steering and hub are located in a random placement order with virtually millions of different combinations. No two systems are alike so a thief cannot use another wheel with the same system to steal the vehicle once the steering wheel is removed.
Buy the snap off boss from FCX a forum sponsor www.FCX.co.uk

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gilarion on 18th May 2015 5:51pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #376667 5th Dec 2014 6:54pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thank you Bow down

I've just purchased one Thumbs Up
Post #376668 5th Dec 2014 7:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Glad to be of help. Very Happy

You will also receive in the package a thick glossy Murray Motorsport catalogue full of Formula one motorsport gear and car racing gear that makes fascinating reading
Post #376674 5th Dec 2014 7:39pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
excellent i will be getting one of these too. i had been put off the mod because of the rattle or too bigger offset.

apart from the wheel will i need anything else with this?
Post #376684 5th Dec 2014 8:44pm
gilarion

Yes you will need a steering wheel boss. Of which there are many, but if you wish to keep things as 'slim' as possible so the steering wheel does not protrude and you can still reach the indicator and light stalks I would suggest as Lorrytman100 did you purchase the Bolt on Bits slim line boss.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-SLIMLINE-Ste...5b06483002

Make sure if you order the boss that you get the correct one though as there are 36 and 48 spline versions either remove your steering wheel and count the splines or have a look here to determine which one is right for you.

http://www.web-rover.co.uk/nav.php?p=articles/steeringwheels
Post #376686 5th Dec 2014 9:11pm
munch90

England 
I had one of the snap off bosses years ago which had a lock on it , these dont seem to have a lock ?

What stops someone smashing window and nicking a 150-300 quid wheel as your not going to take it with you everytime you park up , and then to top it off you cant get home
Post #376718 5th Dec 2014 11:50pm
gilarion

That's the risk you take with any snap off system however I feel that the extra security layer far outweighs the low risk of someone trying to just steal the wheel
But to make sure it never happens remove the wheel always. Much easier than fitting a disc lock all the time which I always do
Post #376724 6th Dec 2014 12:46am
Lorryman100

Personally I put the steering wheel in my locked toolbox in the back of the Puma when I am out and about and it is parked up away from home. It sits nicely on top of the toolboxes. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #376727 6th Dec 2014 1:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nitram17

Re: For anyone looking for a slim line quick release system
gilarion wrote:
If you looked at Lorryman100 thread about Bolt on Bits slim line steering boss and noted the quick release system he uses which is a TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off - Alloy Road

Up until reading that thread I was going to buy the BG system but at 60mm depth added to even a slim line boss it
would bring the steering wheel out more than I would like.

So I decided to purchase the same one as Lorryman100 uses which at only 27mm is ideal , however try as I might I could not find a supplier in this country, and believe me I spent hours on the internet trying. And although there were a few on Amazon and Ebay they were all from America with exorbitant postage costs and of course importing from America would incur Customs duty costs added.

Then as luck would have it I discovered a company in Southern Ireland called Murray Motorsport stocks the TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off (Hub Fitment) - Alloy Road and with Southern Ireland being part of the EU I would incur no customs duty costs whatsoever. I ordered one the postage cost was £9 50 with full tracking and it took three days to arrive.

So if anyone wishes to purchase the same do so here: http://www.murraymotorsport.com/products/s...alloy-road
The TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off (Hub Fitment) - Alloy Road is probably the slimiest snap off system that is on the market, it does not rattle even after years of use - it is made from cast aluminium and steel and there is absolute zero play. The Snap-system is painted black to blend seamlessly into modern car interiors. It has an automatic failsafe locking feature. It also has exclusive security as each unit is unique - the mating pins between the steering and hub are located in a random placement order with virtually millions of different combinations. No two systems are alike so a thief cannot use another wheel with the same system to steal the vehicle once the steering wheel is removed.

Click image to enlarge

Is this setup legal in the uk? otherwise it looks great!
Post #377142 7th Dec 2014 10:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Reading the ad it states it is for road use and is TUV approved. TUV approval is the German standard and if it meets that it will be road legal in the UK.

If you look at the American site it states that the other version is for off road use only.

Brendan
Post #377158 7th Dec 2014 10:57pm
nitram17

thanks Brendan Thumbs Up
Post #377184 8th Dec 2014 12:49am
gilarion

leeds wrote:
Reading the ad it states it is for road use and is TUV approved. TUV approval is the German standard and if it meets that it will be road legal in the UK.

If you look at the American site it states that the other version is for off road use only.

Brendan

Legal in the UK just to add to this
If you read the Swedish manufactures FAQ section statement
The Snap-Off Road is our Road legal version of the original race part built to the same rugged specifications as the RACE but has some very useful and essential design innovations built into the system, our road version has an automatic locking system that is engaged as soon as the steering wheel is placed on the hub. There is no need to manually lock the wheel onto the hub. To prevent theft we made each road system unique - the mating pins between the steering and hub are located in a random placement order with virtually millions of different combinations. No two Road systems are alike and the thief is thwarted if any other road system is used in an attempt to steal the car.

Before I ordered the snap off system, I researched all the relevant safety criteria for both EU usage and UK approved systems. I had no idea what ‘TUV’ approved meant as it not yet a requirement of UK necessity of the use of motor parts, (sadly). Nevertheless on research I was surprised to learn that it merits a level of quality which is not usually met by aftermarket automotive products in the UK. ‘TUV’, is a very tough inspection; what’s more ‘TUV’ testing is a world leader in testing and product certification.
Its reputation on automotive supplier parts is recognized as being the paramount stringent German test standard which is not easily obtained.
So the fact that this TEKNIQ Quick Release Snap Off fitment has been given this approval and has been tested to the most strict and accepted EU testing methods (more stringent than we have in in the UK) including testing in winter temperatures that drop to minus 40 Celsius and summer temperatures that go up to 40 Celsius and also really testing the systems through a large series of failsafe scenarios range. The conclusions of TUC was a system that has not failed in our tests.
That was good enough for me. No British made snap off system gave me the same level of confidence.
Post #377189 8th Dec 2014 1:54am
gilarion

Well today I fitted the Bolt on Bits slim line boss and the snap off release and the Momo Jet steering wheel. Very Happy

Easy job, old false air bag steering wheel came off easy and the slim line boss fitted perfectly. A bit fiddly lining up the snap off with the Momo steering wheel but that was only due to a touch or arthritis in a couple of my fingers, job took about twenty minutes and that included a cup of tea half way through.

Steering wheel looks in the straight ahead position and steering wheel lock functions so I think the job is a gooden!
I have not driven the Defender yet with the new wheel due to just having finished the job it started to sleet and howl with wind and already frozen to the bone with working outside the toasty log burner beckoned and another cup of tea, so tomorrow will be its maiden voyage.

Will be able to rest a little bit easier with this extra layer of security and also not have to wrestle with the Disk Lock every time I park up. Smile

Note...I had to remove the tangs and the horn contacts from the Momo wheel as they fouled the snap off, but removing them only took two minutes and as I will never use the horn push they were surplus anyway.
Post #377838 10th Dec 2014 4:04pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Any pictures of it fitted and once you've driven it could you update how it feels.
Purely from a nosiness point as Ive got the B G one.
Cheers Tom Very Happy Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #377842 10th Dec 2014 5:26pm
gilarion

Quote:
Any pictures of it fitted and once you've driven it could you update how it feels.
Purely from a nosiness point as Ive got the B G one.

Today was the first time I drove with the Momo wheel and I like it, although a smaller diameter steering wheel did at first seem odd, but after five minutes I got used to it and I can say that the steering seemed more positive, a little heavier maybe but I think that is a good thing, I was also pleased that I found no play in the steering wheel. The slim line boss and snap off does bring the steering wheel closer but not that much to be a problem. My hands could reach the indicator and light switches Ok and bearing in mind that I do not have what you could call long fingers. All in all I think this mod works, at least for me. The Momo wheel does not weigh too much even with the snap off fitted, so when it is removed using the snap off it is light enough to carry around, It also fits in the side pocket of my laptop bag, Just!
I can recommend both the slim line boss and snap off connecter to anyone who may be thinking of doing this modification.

I have not included any photos as Lorryman's thread has plenty of the slimline boss and snap off

Post #378409 12th Dec 2014 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1