↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 won't start!!! Please help.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Midwaleslandie

2.4 won't start!!! Please help.
Afternoon all.

After a little help.

Towed in a 2007 Defender 2.4 this morning that won't start. If you try to start it without heating it will crank for approximately 1/2 a second and then cut out. If you go through the heating process it won't crank at all.

I've checked the power going to the solenoid and the power cuts out so I've decided the starter is fine. I've read a few forums that suggest the immobiliser? However, on this landrover there is no key fob, no central locking and no red immobiliser light. Guessing that this isn't equipped with one?

Any suggestions are gratefully recieved as this is the first "puma" we have worked on.

Thanks, Ash.
Post #372183 17th Nov 2014 3:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Checked for DTC's?
Post #372187 17th Nov 2014 4:07pm
Lorryman100

It sounds as if the EMS is not receiving a mobilisation code from the IPAC. Remove the drivers side speaker adjacent to the fuse cover. Have a look up towards the windscreen and see if you can spot a green box. If it is present then the Puma has a 10AS module but it may not have any settings enabled. If the 10AS is present hook up a diagnostic tool and check the settings page to see what is enabled. There is a way to bypass the immobiliser but I will need to chat with you as you are new on here about that as I am not posting how to on a open forum.
Post #372188 17th Nov 2014 4:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Midwaleslandie

Thanks for the replies.

I'll remove the speaker now and get back to you in a jiffy. I have already plugged in our Autel maxidas but can only get into the PCM with that which didn't bring any fault codes up.

I'll check now and get back to you.

Thanks again.
Post #372190 17th Nov 2014 4:32pm
Midwaleslandie

Okay. Speaker removed and indeed I have a green box with 10AS written on it. I've hooked our machine up to it again but still can't get into any settings.

Not really sue where to go from here as the nearest L/R dealership to us is about 58 miles away.
Post #372191 17th Nov 2014 4:37pm
Lorryman100

To access the 10AS module with a diagnostic tool the ignition needs to be in the off position. Not sure about the Maxidas but my Autel tool does not cover the Lucas 10AS module. The only tools I have which do are JLR SDD, Nanocom and MSV2.
Post #372192 17th Nov 2014 4:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Midwaleslandie

I tried that but to no avail.

However, I removed the circuit board from the green box, cleaned up a few connections, sprayed with wd40 and turned the key but not expecting much. But, it started!!!!!

Still no flashing light but it now starts and runs.

Strange.
Post #372196 17th Nov 2014 4:55pm
Lorryman100

One of the members on here had the same issue. Turned out to be pin contamination on the 10as from a leaking windscreen. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #372197 17th Nov 2014 4:59pm
Midwaleslandie

Well it may just have been that. Now wrapped in a sealed bag Mr. Green

Thankyou for your time and input, wouldn't have even found said box without your help.

Much appreciated Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up
Post #372206 17th Nov 2014 5:47pm
Lorryman100

Thumbs Up
Post #372208 17th Nov 2014 5:53pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Brilliant Service from D2...
I so love this place... Mr. Green

Even a complete stranger to the community is responded to in next to no time when in need of assistance and treated with complete respect throughout... Thumbs Up

Kudos to this site and, in this case, to @Lorryman100 specifically... Bow down

Hopefully, we will now have another convert and D2 member in @Midwaleslandie too... Whistle
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #372250 17th Nov 2014 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1