↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > First Four Heavy Duty Front Bumper with 2" Receiver
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
First Four Heavy Duty Front Bumper with 2" Receiver
Hi all,

I was looking for a standard looking, HD bumper with the facility for a 2" receiver, to match my rear receiver, so I could put my tow hitch up front for shunting or position the winch front or back where it's required. I couldn't find anything on the market that suited, but First Four Off Road had a nice looking HD bumper. Having previous excellent experience of the company, I contacted Peter Lamb to see if he could supply me one to my requirements. He could indeed, and this is the result.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's made from 5mm steel, with a very nice satin powdercoated finish that seems to be more durable than the usual cheap powdercoating you get on some products. Recovery eyes are built in underneath, that bolt back to the chassis, and obviously the 2" receiver bang in the middle which can be accessed from behind for inserting the pin. I reckon as well as tow hitch and winch set ups, you could even use it for things like snow plough attachments etc... An idea for the future!
I think Peter is intending to sell these bumpers from stock now.

I've now put the number plate offset to the N/S of the bumper, which doesn't look bad at all... May be a bit vulnerable off road but no worse than standard.

I am trying to decide whether to put my steel A-bar with 7" Wipacs back on. I need the extra lighting, however considering a pair of rectangular LED lights instead. I'd like one of those 'Bentley style' grilles with inbuilt Lazer RS-4s, however that sort of money is out of my price range. Could mount them ontop of the bumper, but I'd be a bit worried about them being stolen since they are so valuable. Are there any cheaper alternatives anyone could suggest that are reasonably decent?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #371370 13th Nov 2014 12:20am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Ooh I am liking that. How much was it? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #371377 13th Nov 2014 6:01am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Very nice. Found somthing similar this year on my Spain holiday

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But think yours is a nicer finish
Post #371387 13th Nov 2014 9:00am
SGH

United Kingdom 
Had one of these 2" receivers made for the front bumper of my 90 back in 2003 by Safari-Equip don't know if they still do them Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

I got the hitches in USA from U-Haul.
Post #371394 13th Nov 2014 9:21am
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have supplied steering guards with a 2" receiver built in.

Now if the 2" receiver is mounted centrally and used for pushing a big box trailer/caravan into a tight space the drivers view is blocked by the caravan. If the 2" receiver is mounted towards the nearside then the driver gets a better view down one side of the trailer/caravan. On the steering guard IIRC the maximum it can be offset is about 7-8". Does not sound much but is a great help.

Not been asked for a bumper with an inbuilt 2" receiver (yet) but Safari Equip are used to us asking for non standard items. Currently waiting to pick up non standard rock and tree sliders and fuel tanks from them.

I know they have equipped a vehicle with front and rear 2" receivers and 2" receivers on the rock sliders as well. So one offs are quite possible.

Brendan
Post #371398 13th Nov 2014 9:51am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Brendan, have any pics and prices?

PCA42, what did the bumper set you back?
Post #371404 13th Nov 2014 10:46am
PCA42

I paid £250 for mine, not sure if they'll be retailing them for that however.

I have seen the ones that mount under the bumper, but most bolt to where the winch bolts if you have a winch bumper, plus a standard bumper wouldn't take the forces involved. I had seen Extreme's built in steering guard one too, but would probably be too low for mounting my winch.

The offset ones are a great idea leeds, you often see tow balls mounted to Landy bumpers to one side, however I didn't want it purely for towing/shunting purposes and when I do, I can't have the rig any wider than the trailer is currently due to a tight corner I have to get round the back of the house... I'll need a spotter though! The rock sliders with receivers sound interesting, would they be for winching the vehicle sideways or something like that? Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #371427 13th Nov 2014 1:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Every body has different requirements for their kit. Andy who has the offset receiver in the steering guard has a relatively tight but straight run for shifting his trailers, with a gentle turn towards the end. So the offset works well for him. Currently he is working in Ireland so it will be a while before I can get him to take photos for me.

The Defender with 2" receivers front and back on sides was designed for winching up marquees and circus big tops. Made it easier if the just moved the winch around rather then manourvering the winch platform around in confined spaces.

To a certain extent it is possible to get kit custom made to suit your own requirements if standard kit does not fulfill all your requirements.

Brendan
Post #371436 13th Nov 2014 2:47pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I’ve got the Watling Engineers version with three receivers giving the possibility of offset either side.

Couldn’t be bothered to lie on my back and do it myself, Norfolk Towbars supplied and fitted it on my drive for £360.

Peter
Post #371489 13th Nov 2014 7:59pm
PCA42

Now available from First Four: http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2175891/de...er-socket-

£234 for those asking Smile Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #371602 14th Nov 2014 12:23pm
munch90

England 
if the receiver is for a tow ball to move trailers then its too high and you would have to use a ball with drop plate which is ok , but its a then a big lump to store away in the back

mounted lower down like on steering guard etc makes more sense , then you just got a ball and smaller bit to store away

I made mine and fixed to standard tube steering guard and supported off the bumper , right height for trailer moving , ok not super strong being mounted off the tube but plenty for moving trailers , and the bit to store away is small and can bit stored away easy , slots in and one bolt to hold
Post #371605 14th Nov 2014 12:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1