Bionicmunky2nd Dec 2014 11:07pm
User Registered Confirmed
ericvv15th Nov 2014 5:31pm

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
That is a good point to make there David, it is MOD property which the public are allowed to use. The tracks we travel along are maintained by the MOD and were required the MOD will close them.

What the pics or videos don't show is the countless number of tank tracks that cross the plains as they have full access to all areas of the plains were as we only have access the to tracks that cross them. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #384110 2nd Jan 2015 8:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
walfy

@ David

You don't have to tell me its the nature of Salisbury Plain. It is not a testing ground. It is an Exercise area where training is made to be as realistic as possible.

@ Russ

The tank don't have access to the whole area. They are limited to certain templates. If you look at a military map of the area it is sectioned off into large training segments.

What you won't know is that all military training areas AFAIK have a saying in place.

Non Tac use a track. So when ALL vehicles are transiting around the areas, if it's not in a tactical situation then they should be using a track. Before exercises happen there is always a co-ord meeting where the rules are reminded and re-emphasized.

The byways you travel cannot be closed unless they are covered by local bylaws, which not that many are, without a court order or a TRO from Wiltshire council.
The Cat 1 tracks (if you dont know what they are you should be on the Plain) are for military vehicles to transit around the Plain. These can be closed at any time for any reason.
Then there are 2 transit routes, Southern and Northern. Again if you don't know where they are or which bits you can drive on, you shouldn't be there.

I know I keep going on about it, but after working there for 4 yrs and having my work interrupted by huge groups of 4x4's going off route to avoid a puddle or mud hole. Not a huge deal but when I had upwards of 40kg of high explosives on the ground it gets a bit tiresome. Then trying to explain to the groups that the danger they placed themselves in by going round obstacles and encroaching my danger safety distances. But they all pleaded that they were responsible offroaders out for a bit of fun. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #384154 2nd Jan 2015 1:51pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Walfy, didn't mean to offend if i did. Just defending our pleasant day out.

At the end of the day it is a military testing ground, full of ammunition targets, tank tracks and flooded land and fields used by military vehicles. Its not a national park and it is completely legal (and as far as I can see, welcomed) to drive there on the few days of the year which we do.

We stuck to the tracks, barely left low range and were all using road legal vehicles and appropriate tires etc.

We didn't go anywhere that was closed or in need of repair, getting out of the vehicles regularly to inspect areas before we drove them.

We all drove carefully and i barely saw a wheel spin all day as I said.

If the MOD wish that any particular lane be not used then it seems everyone (certainly us included) respects that, as was the case with a few lanes that I've seen the couple of times I've been down.

Last year when we went, we had numerous dog walkers, ramblers, tourists and locals etc come over to us for a nice chat and to take an interest in what we were doing and the vehicles we were in (everyone loves defenders it seems!)

I know there are quite a few current and previous military personnel on here and within the wider land rover community as a whole, and judging from sentiment online and from people I've met, the vast majority are happy to see an area that they enjoy using also enjoyed by like minded individuals like us a few days of the year. As long as everyone respects each other and follows any advice or requirements handed down from those in charge, then I see no problem.

Don't mean to rant but just don't want anyone here to be labeled as irresponsible or thoughtless, we really were not and no-one else there on the day would have stood for any YOB-ish behaviour, as we do not want to be tarred with that brush and this forum above all others has a very good reputation. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #384160 2nd Jan 2015 3:11pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
walfy wrote:

I know I keep going on about it, but after working there for 4 yrs and having my work interrupted by huge groups of 4x4's going off route to avoid a puddle or mud hole. Not a huge deal but when I had upwards of 40kg of high explosives on the ground it gets a bit tiresome. Then trying to explain to the groups that the danger they placed themselves in by going round obstacles and encroaching my danger safety distances. But they all pleaded that they were responsible offroaders out for a bit of fun.

I think Walfys' point is the number of vehicles in any particular group.

O/T When I was out there on Sunday, I was parked near to Steve BP mans' lunchtime stop (SU0693 4948 looking out N/W over Rushall down) and was watching a disco drive quite obviously across the impact areas East to West, via several of the hard target tanks there. He eventually got onto the byway and headed down to where I was, unfortunately that byway is gated closed at both ends with a sign saying it's shot for repair work.

I trundled past him and chatted to him. Asked how me managed to get the wrong sode of the gate.

"dunno mate, I just followed a track and ended up here, god knows where I am!"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

What a moron. I couldn't even be bothered to open up the gates for him, as he said he'd find his own way out and drove back out into the impact areas.
Hopefully he's still there.
Post #384226 2nd Jan 2015 7:12pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Haha! It takes all types! Cheers, David
Post #384236 2nd Jan 2015 7:25pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
diesel_jim wrote:
Hopefully he's still there.

And is so, hopefully can be used as a moving target for practise !! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #384239 2nd Jan 2015 7:32pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
We will be running another plains trip at Easter Thumbs Up ..
Post #384240 2nd Jan 2015 7:32pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Ooh exciting Steve, sign me up Thumbs Up Cheers, David
Post #384241 2nd Jan 2015 7:33pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
bpman wrote:

I'm in!! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #384287 2nd Jan 2015 9:14pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Missed the Christmas one, would love to make it for the Easter one - sign me up too please!
Post #384312 2nd Jan 2015 9:52pm
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
bpman wrote:

Can you avoid the TTRO's on this one please? Sandy
Post #384600 3rd Jan 2015 8:27pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
we'll go where ever we like as long as it open
Post #385914 7th Jan 2015 1:53pm
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
bpman wrote:
we'll go where ever we like as long as it open

JWL wrote:
Looks like a cracking day was had by all, forgive me for asking but I thought that the Bomb/Mud Hole was one of many that have Temporary Closures on them at the moment, as per the list here (CHIT1 T, is the lane in question)
http://php.wiltshire.gov.uk/row/closures/closure_search.php

I'm only asking as there is a plaque mounted on a trees at the mud hole that is of significance to the some of us who will be laning on the Plain on Saturday.

Good, it's not good for greenlaning as a whole or the continued use of SPTA if you use TTRO byways. Sandy
Post #385920 7th Jan 2015 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567