Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Puma 2.2 judders/kangaroos 1st and 2nd
Hi all
Just bought a new Defender 90 with the Puma 2.2
Having occasional juddering/kangarooing in first and second, second more prominant
Is there a fix for this from LR, when you talk to them they say there is no issue recorded
Will a performance remap help the situation

Sorry if this has already been covered, new to the site and not found search function

Last edited by Iktank on 8th Nov 2014 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #370347 8th Nov 2014 4:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Search function is fifth link along from 'Home' in the blue strip under the title header. Use 'rev hang' as your search subject. It is a common issue and one I believe there is still no fix for.

There are even a couple of Kangaroos in the search to keep yours company...... Laughing

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32309.html?highlight=rev+hang

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20992.html?highlight=rev+hang

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #370365 8th Nov 2014 5:36pm
rover

United Kingdom 
Common problem with 2.2 defenders mine included. Makes for a unpleasant drive and I must admit I do not enjoy driving my 2.2 like I used with my td5. I am putting up with it until the warranty runs out then will probably get an jap pickup. Still can not believe land rover would produce a defender with so little low down torque it juddered and kankaroos in low gears. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Post #370373 8th Nov 2014 6:15pm
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Mine does the same. Im wondering if we should all approach the new LR rep on this site for a response? Even my independent landy mechanic was saying he'd seen this behaviour on most of the 2.2s he'd done work on. Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #370451 8th Nov 2014 10:25pm
Iktank

Done about 500 miles in it this week, only caught me out a few times, had to change my driving style.
- Don't ride the clutch, let it out then apply throttle as apposed to riding clutch and throttle at same time, this goes against my driving style for the last 30 years of combined clutch/throttle but getting there.

But should not be like this no reason why this cant be re-programmed - if LR cant/wont surely there must be someone who can

Wife currently cant cope with it but she is adapting - but she doesn't have to she has a Range Rover with auto box only has to cope with mine occasionally
Post #370468 8th Nov 2014 10:59pm
K9F

Iktank wrote:
........ if LR cant/wont surely there must be someone who can.....

Unfortunately no! Quote from just a few days ago.....

bell-auto-services wrote:
The last flash Landrover made was only applicable to the 2012 cars to bring them inline with the 2013/4 cars.

Their has been no new updates now for over a year that change the torque delivery action of the throttle pedal at slow, low speeds in low gears.

The quirk can happen when thr driver should stay in a low gear eg 1st or make the decision to accellerate or not, rarther than hovering on the throttle. It can be driven round fairly easly by slightly changing the driving style at very slow speeds.

We do as said offer a map that helps to remove the driving problem that some expreience but its not a guarentee in all cases as sometimes its the use the car is getting or drivatrain faults thats the problem.

Regards Pete
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #370469 8th Nov 2014 11:11pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Had exactly the same problem on my 2013 2.2.

Pete (BAS) mapped it at the end of September and now 95% of the time there is no kangaroo effect in first or second. It does happen occasionally but that is normally due to the drivers advancing years and forgetting what he did yesterday Rolling with laughter

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #370476 8th Nov 2014 11:34pm
rover

United Kingdom 
Redzob.
It may be worth trying the land rover customer relations guy but I let his predecessor know about my problems with the drivability of my 110. He said take it to the dealer, I did and they updated the ecu, made only a slight difference but still awful to drive in low gears at low speed. How come my wife's Volvo c30 can trundle along in 2nd gear at low revs nice and smoothly where my defender can not without lurching, kangarooing and juddering. I have driven just about every type of series and defender and the 2.2 is the worst at low speed low gears. I do not see why I should have to pay £500 for a remap, it should be right from the start. In my eyes land rover have lost all credibility and unless they are selling £60,000 tarts handbags they are not interested. Sorry about being negative just p-ss-ed off with land rover at the mo.
Post #370514 9th Nov 2014 10:50am
K9F

A remap does NOT guarantee to cure the issue. Your £500 could in all likelihood be a complete waste of money if it's a cure you're after. The 'rev hang' is 'supposed' to make gear changing easier? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #370515 9th Nov 2014 10:56am
Iktank

I'm ok with driving it, already changed my style to suit wife is having difficulty - sod her Defenders mine, Range Rover hers Very Happy

I have asked LR if there is anything that can be done in writing - aint gona hold my breath

Thanks all for input - at least I know where we are with this

Basically - live with it or sell it, I know I'll live with it Thumbs Up
Post #370523 9th Nov 2014 11:13am
Howard650

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Had the same problem with my 2012 110 when I got her but now after a couple of thousand miles have got the driving style sorted. To start with I was pretty shocked but after talking to Pete at BAS about a remap to try and resolve the issue he told me to basically train my right foot to overcome the problem before spending 500 quid.

I took his advice and stuck with it. Still I think I will go for the remap once my warranty is up.
Post #370661 9th Nov 2014 9:48pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
I thought it was me.
Mine is the same, i thought id forgotten how to drive a vehicle with gears and a clutch.
I will try and change the way i drive it.

Thanks for the advise again chaps Thumbs Up
Post #370662 9th Nov 2014 9:56pm
Howard650

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Stick with it Jay Boy!

It's just getting over the habit of feeding the revs in whilst coming off the clutch for getting rid of the "Clunk" on gear change. The "Kangaroo" feature is just getting over desire to hover on the throttle on the first 33%. It takes a bit of getting used to I have to admit and is pretty bad on LR's part but with a bit of perseverance the problem can be overcome. Pete at BAS was good to talk to about the issue and also very reassuring as I had concerns.

Once mastered though it is pretty satisfying and the vehicle becomes the pleasure to drive it should be.
Post #370664 9th Nov 2014 10:11pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Please do not listen to all this nonsense about 'learning how to drive', all it can do is mitigate the issue not resolve it. Adopting driving technique is essential when you have a problem, however, to start from the premis that the Defender is a problem does nothing to resolve the basic issue that there is a problem, it just gets you by until the problem is resolved. I accept that some people are happy within themselves by convincing themselves that they can overcome the issue by using their superior driving skills which they assume other mere mortals cannot replicate and therefore they are in some way superior, however, the basic truth is the Defender is a Pig and not fit for purpose. Unfortunately I love mine!
Post #370694 10th Nov 2014 12:02am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Thats's a little harsh.

I've never really suffered from the issue but have occassionally felt the symptoms. I would have to say I'm in the camp that says there is a particular way to drive a modern Defender to ensure this does not happen. Many cars, past & present have particular traits to driving them at their best, they only become problems if you don't learn the appropriate techniques.

It's nothing to do with being a superior driver, I'm sure all can learn. It's about being mechanically sympathetic. Perhaps, it's to do with the anti-stall software and maybe more time coding could reduce or even eliminate the issue but then perhaps there would be a trade off in another area of the performance?
Post #370730 10th Nov 2014 10:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>