↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > hedge trimmer recommendations.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
hedge trimmer recommendations.
I don't have a tractor big enough for a flail mower for the hedges so in the past we have used a contractor but he is becoming increasingly unreliable and the season is really too late for a big tractor to not compact the land. So it has been suggested to get a 2 stroke hedge machine and do it manually. Yay only about 3 miles of double sided hedges yippee. I was thinking of either sthil or a husqurvana but I would value some input it will mostly be hawthorn and the odd bit of black thorn and will only be used once a year but equally needs to work well. Any views? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #369358 4th Nov 2014 7:20am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Stihl 81R won't let you down.
Post #369361 4th Nov 2014 7:28am
lambert.the.farmer

Ok cool. Is there any merit in one of their smaller semi professional machines like the 56 ce or would I be wasting my money on an inferior machine. What I mean is that ok it will see some fairly serious use for a few days but it will not be used the rest of the year so it's not like the work load of the one's I used to use on the parks department that saw hours and hours every day. I know I don't want something like a ryobi as it will wither and die in no time. Right tools for the job and that. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #369369 4th Nov 2014 8:10am
John P

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I've got Stihl products, and they take a lot of abuse during autumn and spring, then sit dormant for the rest of the year. They start every time. As you say, get the right products for the job.

Cheers
John
Post #369375 4th Nov 2014 8:31am
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Stihl every time for hand tools.

How small is your tractor? I've got a Twose flail on my 28hp-best piece of kit I ever got. Paid just over 2k for it but worth every penny. I've virtually retired my strimmer also since getting Thumbs Up He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #369379 4th Nov 2014 8:56am
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Are you really planning on cutting 3 miles of hedge with a handheld device?
Post #369383 4th Nov 2014 9:13am
lambert.the.farmer

By the time I'm done it might not be a full 3 miles but well over 2. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #369387 4th Nov 2014 9:23am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
56 is fine just not as strong as 81. Should aim for 20% of list price
Post #369389 4th Nov 2014 9:37am
SGH

United Kingdom 
I use a Stihl pole hedge cutter to do hedge tops standing in the back of my 110 tipper whilst SWMBO drives. Shocked
Post #369392 4th Nov 2014 9:53am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I know this may seem like a step back in time but how hard are you going to be cutting back? You can cover a fair bit of ground with a decent brashing hook. If you are just clearing new growth off fencing you could actually cover more ground with a hook than stumbling along with a petrol powered hedgetrimmer. When I've put up new stocknetting to replace old stuff it's been quicker and easier to just use a hook and for the bigger stuff a decent pair of long handled loppers.
By just doing the necessary it will give you breathing space to organise a more reliable contractor or even look into hiring the kit(booked well in advance) to hit the hedges harder next year.
Also by walking the hedges you might see where a bit of trimming with a chainsaw may bring the hedge into line by taking some of the bigger stuff out and allowing the hedge to grow back in a more stockproof barrier rather than just flailing what's there back every year.
Post #369410 4th Nov 2014 11:13am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm not sure that any of the usual hand-held hedge cutters, however good, are really up to that amount of agricultural hedge cutting. I don't think I'd even attempt it. I guess your likelihood of success depends on the nature of the hedge, how well maintained it is, and how often you cut it.

As far as manufacturers are concerned, you will as usual not get concensus on the "which is better, Husky or Stihl?" question! There's really nothing in it overall, it is a matter of preference. Stihl lost a lot of users to Husky recently due to their incredibly restrictive internet spares sales policy. Echo also are serious contenders and now make some tools which are every bit as good as either Stihl or Husky.
Post #369411 4th Nov 2014 11:15am
lambert.the.farmer

JWL wrote:
I know this may seem like a step back in time but how hard are you going to be cutting back? You can cover a fair bit of ground with a decent brashing hook. If you are just clearing new growth off fencing you could actually cover more ground with a hook than stumbling along with a petrol powered hedgetrimmer. When I've put up new stocknetting to replace old stuff it's been quicker and easier to just use a hook and for the bigger stuff a decent pair of long handled loppers.
By just doing the necessary it will give you breathing space to organise a more reliable contractor or even look into hiring the kit(booked well in advance) to hit the hedges harder next year.
Also by walking the hedges you might see where a bit of trimming with a chainsaw may bring the hedge into line by taking some of the bigger stuff out and allowing the hedge to grow back in a more stockproof barrier rather than just flailing what's there back every year.

Don't worry technology wise we are stuck in the 70's and amongst other period hand tools I have brash hook and it gets used on some of the land we rent but our own hedges have been getting a little bit bigger every year for the last 4 or 5 they have been flailed despite instructions to the contrary so this is an opportunity to sort them out a bit better without smashing them to bits. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #369506 4th Nov 2014 6:32pm
Romadog

Hand held machines
Go for Makita, they have a four stroke one now - they have a new long reach coming which will walk all over a Stihl HL95
or Stihl HS81R

If you have a small tractor with hydraulic spool valves then go for a McConnel Swingtrim. They are on ebay or available from your nearest decent agricultural machinery dealer.They are the dogs danglies especially if you have as much to do as you say. A hand held one will give you Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome in no time !
Post #369517 4th Nov 2014 7:21pm
lambert.the.farmer

Ooh makita, we like their stuff . Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #369519 4th Nov 2014 7:31pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
I recently purchased the 56. Very happy with mine and taken abit of abuse over the last few months.
Post #369552 4th Nov 2014 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>