↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Winter weather news from metcheck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Winter weather news from metcheck
" During the next couple of weeks the forecasters here at Metcheck will take a look at what kind of winter we expect across the UK this year. No doubt you have seen all the newspaper articles regarding the potential of the coldest winter for 100 years and certain longer range models are also hinting at a blocked pattern for the coming season.

We talked a couple of months ago about the Pacific warming and the increased chance of an Atlantic blocking pattern. Not much has changed to be honest and we will cover this in more detail when we release the winter forecast.

At the moment though we are in a period where colder than average winters are more likely than milder than average due to sunspot activity and the 11 year solar cycle. It is not inconceivable for us to have a winter like 1947 or 1963 again, it's not inconceivable for us to have a winter even colder either. One concern is that our infrastructure in the country just isn't geared up to deal with something like this. Our buying, working, living lifestyle is a far cry from what it was during the 1940's and 1960's and due to years of milder winters the shock to the system would be that much greater.

Now, obviously we are not expecting an event like that this year at the moment. But it's worth remembering that we are long overdue for a severe winter in this country and nature has a funny way of always remembering her debts. Will you be telling your grandchildren that you lived through and remember the winter of 2014/15? It's not inconceivable.... "
Post #367759 28th Oct 2014 1:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'll not be rushing off to the bookies to see what odds they'll give me. Laughing

We've got Defenders "What could possibly go wrong?" Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #367761 28th Oct 2014 2:00pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I bought some new wellies when we had the last decent winter a couple of years back so I'll be fine Rolling with laughter
Post #367775 28th Oct 2014 4:11pm
jimbob7

Not much snow predicted where I am and temperatures above zero till next winter,knew I shouldn't have bort that bloody snow cowl last year,not seen any snow since,didn't de-ice me car once last winter Rolling with laughter . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #367776 28th Oct 2014 4:15pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The Express, Sun, Mirror, and Daily Mail, those respected metrological conservatoires whose knowledge of Weather patterns is esteemed around the world are predicting a North European weather cataclysmic event with it epicentre firmly centred around the United Kingdom.

Their accurate prognosis is based around many long discussions and copious amounts of scotch, using metrological charts and data gathered from the vast archives of both the Old Bell Tavern and the Hack and Hop public house, Fleet Street. This research has led to a UK winter scenario where temperatures will drop to minus 25 and snowfalls will reach seven meters in depth.

They are envisaging the English Channel, the Irish and North seas to freeze over with an ice thickness of five meters. The Daily Mail has also issued an immigration alert as many foreigners will be able to walk into this country from France over the frozen channel and have advised those living on the south coast to have plenty of salt on hand to melt the sea by the coast to thwart this mass invasion. The Sun is quoted as saying already government offices are trying to procure the help and services of Logistic firms such as Edwin Shirley trucking to help with the collection of the many frozen bodies in our rural areas that invariably will mount during this frozen winter.

On a lighter note and due to the predicted heavy snowfalls, for those that have the equipment I will be organising an Off Piste Skiing event down the north side of Snowdon in December.
Post #367797 28th Oct 2014 5:52pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #367802 28th Oct 2014 6:01pm
grizz

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Last year they said it was going to be bad ... I needed new tyres on the Rs6 so i got a set of winter tyres ..(£1300)

And didn't get 1 snow flake .. Big Cry
Post #367803 28th Oct 2014 6:13pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
The one thing for the life of me that I just cannot understand is what it the idea of going out and buying 40 pints of milk and 50 loaves of bread when a tiny bit of sleet falls??????
Post #367834 28th Oct 2014 8:41pm
jimbob7

/\/\/\Yes,silly buying all that bread and not buying any butter to spread onnit Confused . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #367859 28th Oct 2014 10:06pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Far better to panic buy bottles of westons vintage cider and large pouches of old holbourn IMO.....
Post #367861 28th Oct 2014 10:10pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
well if we do get 7 feet of snow a lack of milk will be the least of our worries, the milker tanker won't be able to get through to collect it Laughing
Post #367914 29th Oct 2014 8:37am
Mattyboy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Hmm I've always been interested in snow prediction and this year having moved into a cottage with only a rayburn and a log burner, will be following it more closely.
Interestingly metcheck's post above warns of a hard winter, however their own long range forecast on their web-site suggests a mild winter again.
All I know is this Saturday I'm doing a fire works display and it's going to be a lovely warm, dry weekend, I always remembered fire-works displays of the past to be cold, icy and foggy... 07 Defender 90 TDCI
98 Defender 90 300 Tdi
Land Rover Freelander
MG B GT
CBR 600
AEC Matador
but no washing machine
Post #367958 29th Oct 2014 10:55am
Mattyboy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Netweather winter forecast:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...2014;sess=

Netweather Highlights said:
Late December and into January is most likely to herald a significant wintry spell, though other major cold snaps throughout the winter are likely as well.
Most of the UK likely to see some settling snow at some point.

In-depth forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-o... 07 Defender 90 TDCI
98 Defender 90 300 Tdi
Land Rover Freelander
MG B GT
CBR 600
AEC Matador
but no washing machine
Post #374601 27th Nov 2014 4:07pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
They're just looking out of the window and sticking their wet fingers in the air! Saying that, there is quite a lot of berries on the holly this year.
Post #374618 27th Nov 2014 5:34pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Mattyboy wrote:
Netweather winter forecast:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...2014;sess=

Netweather Highlights said:
Late December and into January is most likely to herald a significant wintry spell, though other major cold snaps throughout the winter are likely as well.
Most of the UK likely to see some settling snow at some point.

In-depth forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-o...

Do you think they would give me a job as I could have given them that summary knowing that winter is coming.

Next summer most places will have some sunshine and the occasional shower of rain. Very Happy Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #374631 27th Nov 2014 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>