Home > Technical > Diff Ratio's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cornish rattler

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Bronze Green
Diff Ratio's
Hi guys

what is the best way to work out the diff ratio, son has said since we swapped over from the 2.5td rear axle to the disco 300tdi axle it seems to be doing better on fuel, i had a quick look at the old axle we have just removed to try and work out the ratio of the diff and i am getting 2 and a bit full turns of the diff drive flange to 1 full turn of the hub drive flange.

is this right or is the diff wrong for the 90 2.5td axle, not had chance to check the front diff yet but will do as soon as i can Graham

1988 Defender 90 county 200tdi ( Beast )

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #364831 16th Oct 2014 12:23am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if that is just 1 wheel rotating as the other is still on the ground then double it i.e. 2 and a bit X 2 = (4 and 2 bits / 1). Need to be more accurate with the "bit" to get an accurate figure. Also you are much better to have the same ratios front and rear or the transfer box diff is working all the time and diff lock will result in rapid wind up, expect you already know this but just in case. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #364837 16th Oct 2014 6:13am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
All 90/110s have the same ratio (3.54:1), unless of course, someone had changed the ratio in your new axle.

However I think that after a tank full of fuel, by now your center diff would have siezed up.

Was the old drum brake axle mis-adjusted and the brakes binding?
Post #364844 16th Oct 2014 7:49am
munch90

England 
if you have got a different diff back to front it will cause trouble soon

one way to tell would be park up on tarmac on a long straight bit of road ( car park at night etc )

don't drive it with centre diff locked until you are certain all is ok

lock centre diff AND PUSH defender BY HAND get your boy to help if you can push it a desent distance without the transmission to winding up ( if its winding its self up it will become harder and harder to push and feel like your trying to push a big spring , if you can push it ok you should have the same diffs , must be pushed in a straight line as any turning bends will cause wind up anyway

not sure if diffs are marked on outside only 100% way is to remove and count the teeth or numbers on the diff
Post #364858 16th Oct 2014 8:54am
cornish rattler

LR90 and diesel jim yeah the axle is my old axle i have just recently taken off, the axle is on the garage floor on a jack and block of wood and pretty certain both brake drums were turning but only consentrated on one drum driver's side one so with 1 full rotation of the drum the diff drive flange turned 2.1/4 turns Smile

it is just my 90 2.5td ( 200tdi ) is very heavy on juice giving 20 mpg and as far as i can tell everything is right the engine has good performance not smokey or any funny noises, serviced, brakes ( drums ) wasn't binding, H/B off and not binding, nothing bolted to the landy , no roof rack but do have 265 special tracks fitted and a tweaked pump but everyone is saying that i should still be getting over 20 mpg.

so just trying to work out if someone has fitted series diffs to my landy when it was still a 2.5td for some reason Confused Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )

Last edited by cornish rattler on 16th Oct 2014 11:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #364881 16th Oct 2014 10:34am
cornish rattler

munch90 wrote:

one way to tell would be park up on tarmac on a long straight bit of road ( car park at night etc )

lock centre diff AND PUSH defender BY HAND get your boy to help if you can push it a desent distance without the transmission to winding up ( if its winding its self up it will become harder and harder to push and feel like your trying to push a big spring , if you can push it ok you should have the same diffs , must be pushed in a straight line as any turning bends will cause wind up anyway

not sure if diffs are marked on outside only 100% way is to remove and count the teeth or numbers on the diff

I will give that a try as soon as i can Thumbs Up Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #364882 16th Oct 2014 10:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Alternatively lock the centre diff, chock the wheels on one side of the vehicle, and jack both wheels on the unchocked side off the ground.

Then turn one raised wheel and see if the other rotates at the same rate (or turn one say ten full revolutions and check the other has turned exactly ten full revolutions).

(Editted for spelling).
Post #364894 16th Oct 2014 11:42am
munch90

England 
cornish rattler wrote:
munch90 wrote:

I will give that a try as soon as i can Thumbs Up

or find somewhere quiet with a gentle slope and let it roll slowly as before with diff locked etc ,just don't drive it - push or roll gently only
Post #364905 16th Oct 2014 12:02pm
cornish rattler

That's an idea my drive is on a slight slope i will give it ago tomorrow if the weather is ok Thumbs Up Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #365118 17th Oct 2014 12:51am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
blackwolf wrote:
Alternatively lock the centre diff, chock the wheels on one side of the vehicle, and jack both wheels on the unchocked side off the ground.

Then turn one raised wheel and see if the other rotates at the same rate (or turn one say ten full revolutions and check the other has turned exactly ten full revolutions).

(Editted for spelling).

that is a good idea, a bit of masking tape at the top of each raised wheel before you start would make it obvious pretty quickly if different ratios were fitted.

However to work the ratios out do the same and then turn the prop shaft watching the tape and counting the number of prop revolutions, do this so that one of the wheel rotates twice and the tape is back at the top, this is your ratio. If both wheels have bits of tape that are back at the top the ratios are the same. (if you do this for say 10 wheel revolutions as suggested by blackwolf and divide the prop turns by 5 it will be more accurate and highlight any small difference in ratio) If the second wheel has tape at a different point other than the top it has a different ratio to the first wheel you did, repeat the process for this wheel to determine the ratio and then you will know the ratio of each axle, allowing you to decide which one to replace and the ratio you need to replace it with. (good luck) DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #365125 17th Oct 2014 6:38am
cornish rattler

I havn't got round to doing this yet but as i am off this week i want to spend a day on the landy tomorrow weather permitting ( sons car is in the garage and is too awkward to get out ) so will have ago then once i have sorted out a snapped exhaust bracket and grease upafter off roading at the weekend Smile Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #366170 21st Oct 2014 2:55pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
its highly unlikely the diff ratios between your old and new axle are different.

both diffs you describe are 3.54s

if one was different you would issues by now as it would be different to the front diff. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #366244 21st Oct 2014 7:36pm
cornish rattler

cornish rattler wrote:
I havn't got round to doing this yet but as i am off this week i want to spend a day on the landy tomorrow weather permitting ( sons car is in the garage and is too awkward to get out ) so will have ago then once i have sorted out a snapped exhaust bracket and grease upafter off roading at the weekend Smile

Are right ok Smile Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #366255 21st Oct 2014 7:56pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
? totally lost by last post. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #366261 21st Oct 2014 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1