Home > Technical > Clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Clutch
Hello Defender2 world,

Quick question re my clutch. I think it is time for a new clutch, at least that is based on my self- diagnosis and with help from someone who works on 'normal' cars: bit of movement, bit of a clunk, engagement starting to get a little stickier, need to slip the clutch to prevent 'hopping' etc etc.

This is going to be properly looked at by an independent mechanic for free, but I still want to go in there with some knowledge up front.

I assume I need to replace the clutch pressure plate and friction plate, but should I replace anything else at the same time, such as the release fork, either cylinder etc?

Also I drive a 11/2011 110SW which I think had the an inherent problem with a 'weak' clutch, hence the clunk. As such should I look for a LR OE part or are there any recommended upgrades (Sachs)?

Hoping to do the work with a friend (has garage and heavy lift) to learn the ropes. Worth the effort? What is an all-in price in the UK (I return in Dec for a week), I have been quoted approx 1000€ (£800).

Cheers as ever Bow down Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #365925 20th Oct 2014 5:32pm
munch90

England 
if its a puma clutch your talking about , there is no clutch fork , the bearing and cylinder ( called concentric bearing ) are in 1 unit and yes replace it too
Post #365926 20th Oct 2014 5:38pm
Grenadier

Thanks Munch.

Any thoughts on the brand? As mentioned I am returning to the UK in 6 weeks and parts are far cheaper....

Ta Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #366081 21st Oct 2014 7:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I haven't found anything better than OEM for the clutch yet (though if anyone has, I'd like to hear about it). OEM is AP Driveline, and AP branded will be somewhat cheaper than Gen Parts branded.

Replace the driven plate and the cover. Also worth replacing the slave cylinder (as Munch has said) and I suggest replacing the flow restrictor on the hydraulic line too, since it is cheap(ish) and if it misbehaves is will reduce drivability.

Also, when doing this job it is definitely worth inspecting the condition of the gearbox output shaft adaptor shaft splines and lubricating them if good, or replacing the parts (about £100) and lubricating on assembly if worn. It is very little extra work to do this when changing the clutch and far less hassle than losing all drive at an inconvenient moment.
Post #366085 21st Oct 2014 8:14am
Grenadier

Thanks Blackwolf, informed reply as ever (assuming you are not the chair of the Clutch Manufacturers Marketing Board : Thumbs Up ). Given it has 50k on the clock I think it wise to follow your suggestion and replace the parts mentioned. Cheers Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #366132 21st Oct 2014 12:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1