↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Too low Coolant temps? (Warm climate overheat..)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Too low Coolant temps? (Warm climate overheat..)
To all the techies out there....what coolant temp will be seen as too low for a Puma?

Not talking about start-up temps, talking about normal running/opperating temps...what will be seen as too low? What would you guys get up north if it is really cold? Like in snowy, cold (typical northen winter) conditions?

Reason I am asking is that (as a lot of you might be aware of) our Pumas down here run way to warm and we have a serious issue with headgaskets (this one indie has done 11 headgaskets on Pumas in the last 6 months) and limp modes, etc....

And one of our indies are experimenting with the FLI "warm climate thermostat" that opens at a much lower temps. The two Pumas he used to test this now runs at +_10degC cooler with the FLI thermostat compared to the standard ones. Normal cruising at 80mls/h now at 80-82degC VS the previous 89-92degC.

Last edited by Regard on 17th Nov 2014 6:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #364959 16th Oct 2014 3:19pm
Partyranger

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Hi Guys,

I see there has not been any response regarding this topic.
So how about we just get some feedback from people using something like an ultra gauge on a regular basis.

In the past my normal running temps on the Ultragauge was about 90 degress C.
After the thermostat mod my average temps are about 80-82 degrees C, even though the needle on my dash sits in its normal position at almost half way up.

What is your average running temps, especially in winter?
Does the EU and UK defenders reach the 90 degree mark or do they tend to run a little cooler in the winter months? i.e. closer towards the 80 degrees mark??

Thanks
Post #367434 27th Oct 2014 10:13am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
My temps are normally 82-84, can go into the 90's when warm and have 104 when pushed.

Hope that helps

Andy
Post #367435 27th Oct 2014 10:16am
Partyranger

Thanks Andy,

That is exactly the type of info I am looking for. There was a concern that the Puma was running too cold at 80degC but I am now starting to feel better about it.

That is pretty much exactly what we have found after the thermostat mod. Normal temps in the low 80's and then when pushing hard up long hills it will still climb towards the 100deg mark but not nearly as often as it used to previously.
Thumbs Up
Post #367437 27th Oct 2014 10:28am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
How is a different thermostat affecting the running temperature? In your situation, surely both standard and FLII thermostats are just open to the cooling channels? Yes, they may open at different temperatures, but I would of thought they'd both be fully open at the temperatures you are experiencing. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #367438 27th Oct 2014 10:31am
Partyranger

The standard defender thermostat only opens at (i think) about 88degC but the FLII thermostat already open at about 82degC.
This then results in the coolant circulating through the radiator much sooner which results in cooler running temps.

The past 2+ weeks here in South africa saw average mid day temps around 32degc.

Before the mod my puma was running at about 92degC and when I switch on the aircon it jumps to 95.
That will then very soon be followed by the ECU cutting power and eventually limp mode.

So having the cooling system kick in earlier I ended up with about a 10degC reduction in temps in all driving conditions.

Ok, just a quick edit, I dont know at exactly what temp the standard thermostat opens but for whatever reason it resulted in a 10deg drop.
Post #367441 27th Oct 2014 10:48am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Do you run a remap?
Post #367442 27th Oct 2014 11:14am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Interesting, I see your point, but still surprised that you get that much of a drop as the cooling system is still the bit that's actually lowering the temperature not the thermostat. If it opens at 82, then the cooling system will do its best to keep it at 82, if it opens at 88 then the cooling system will do its best to keep it at 88. If it's able to keep it at 82, then it should be good for 88, but I guess it could be the range of opening (opening temp vs fully open temp). Possibly, the FLII might have a much lower fully open temp which is giving you the benefit.

Is the FLII Thermostat a straight swap?

BTW, I checked the Workshop Manual for the temps and it has an error. The blurb say it opens at 88, but the data information says 82 with fully open at 96. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography

Last edited by x-isle on 27th Oct 2014 11:33am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #367443 27th Oct 2014 11:15am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I do run a remap and having swapped my intercooler for a larger one I noticed a 2-3 degree drop over previous figures. I recently sat at between 70-85mph for over 7 hours on European motorways in an ambient temperature of 24-26 degrees and my temperature never rose above 88 degrees. Also the temperature drops quicker from hard driving when reverting back to slower speeds. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #367445 27th Oct 2014 11:18am
munch90

England 
x-isle wrote:
Interesting, I see your point, but still surprised that you get that much of a drop as the cooling system is still the bit that's actually lowering the temperature not the thermostat. If it opens at 82, then the cooling system will do its best to keep it at 82, if it opens at 88 then the cooling system will do its best to keep it at 88. If it's able to keep it at 82, then it should be good for 88, but I guess it could be the range of opening (opening temp vs fully open temp). Possibly, the FLII might have a much lower fully open temp which is giving you the benefit.

BTW, I checked the Workshop Manual for the temps and it has an error. The blurb say it opens at 88, but the data information says 82 with fully open at 96.

if you took the thermostat right out , the running temperature would be very low , take ages to warm up at all , temperature would rise sitting still then drop as you started moving
doubt it would get anywhere near normal running temperature more than likely about 50c if that

trouble is you cant remove thermostat completely on a lot of modern engines as when the stat opens they close off another pipe , so removing mucks up the primary and secondry cooling circuits ,
if you look inside a land rover thermostat on the back of the stat part inside there is a washer looking thing that does this , thermostat has 3 pipe connections as stat opens it close one off , opening the other one

and also if your talking about freelander 2 as fl11 thermostat then as far as I know they are completely different , but the 1.8 early freelander 1 had a conversion called the headsaver thermostat that was the same looking as the puma defender one ( not sure on temps of it ) when you fitted the conversion you removed the old stat completely

and you don't want it running cold or below ideal temp as its no good for effcincy , you never see a race engine running below 80ish degrees (depends on engine etc)

Last edited by munch90 on 27th Oct 2014 12:17pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #367455 27th Oct 2014 12:01pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I know this is straying a bit of the point.

When I had a 300tdi 90 some years back I needed to change the thermostat and as the indie I use was closed I went to the stealers for the part. When fitted the temp gauge sat in the cold position, changed the thermostat 3 times on exchange from stealers. It turned out that Land Rover made or had made three different thermostats opening at different temps. for differing parts of the world and some how the wrong ones had been put into the UK market.
Have JLR stopped this practice of supplying different thermostats for differing parts of the world? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #367457 27th Oct 2014 12:07pm
munch90

England 
arc99
you may have found you were fitting the one without the extra washer on the bottom as that would have the same effect as your mucking the primary and secondlry circuits up fitting one without the washer (seen it done lots of times ), trouble is the one without the washer bit fits in the same and lots of people don't notice or think its right as they were told its the right one

sure if I remember right the 300tdi did run the extra washer bit

if you look on ebay and search 300tdi thermostat you can see some are without the extra washer bit at the bottom and some with it (just to show you what I mean )
Post #367459 27th Oct 2014 12:14pm
Partyranger

landy andy wrote:
Do you run a remap?

No, i've done a decat, removed the centre silencer, blanked off EGR and running a larger intercooler but have not remapped YET. Wink

x-isle wrote:

BTW, I checked the Workshop Manual for the temps and it has an error. The blurb say it opens at 88, but the data information says 82 with fully open at 96.

I was told its the Freelander 2 Thermostat, not 100% certain but it was a straight swap. Looks exactly the same except it different colour. The new one is the same color as the coolant reservoir.

So if the fully open is only at 96deg then I'm thinking that with the engine working hard and it then opens fully its already too late. The cooling system manages to maintain a temp but ,due to high ambient temps, cant cool it down once the temp is on the rise and under load going up a hill. Confused

munch90 wrote:

but the 1.8 early freelander 1 had a conversion called the headsaver thermostat that was the same looking as the puma defender one ( not sure on temps of it ) when you fitted the conversion you removed the old stat completely

and you don't want it running cold or below ideal temp as its no good for efficiency , you never see a race engine running below 80ish degrees (depends on engine etc)

Yes it looks exactly the same apart from the color so we removed the old and installed the new.

That was exactly the point of this topic, to try and find out what temps would be considered too low and what is acceptable.
Post #367477 27th Oct 2014 1:18pm
munch90

England 
freelander 2 2.2 thermostat is completely different

headsaver thermostat same style as defender puma ( maybe be different temprature range )

think there are maybe 3 different types of the same style , one is natural nylon colour ( sort of cream coloured like coolant bottle ) and one is black and one gray

don't know the temp ranges , but only a few degrees between them and also they have different spring rates for the pressure relief side

often called a prt or pressure relief thermostat

gray 82c light spring
black 82c hard spring
cream 87c medium spring
not 100% on temps just what I found out with quick check

Last edited by munch90 on 27th Oct 2014 2:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #367491 27th Oct 2014 2:11pm
Partyranger

ok yes, I am not sure about the exact details.

The most important thing is that my temps are down by 10degC.

I was just concerned that I may have been running too cold, which is also not ideal.

But as per Landy Andy's post it seems as if the 80-82 degC normal running temp should still be acceptable. Esp up here in our warmer climates.
Post #367493 27th Oct 2014 2:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>